News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

"The Retail Golfer"
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
This phrase is gaining popularity.

My take is that it somehow attempts to diminish the golfer who may not read about architecture or know about the latest trends. It suggests, derogatorily, that there must be other categories of golfers who are more sophisticated and "in-the-know."

What say you?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ken Fry

Re:"The Retail Golfer"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:33:14 PM »
Internet shopper.  Coupon searcher.  Sale rack vulture.  Only play certain courses on twilight.  Demo club buyer.

Maybe these descriptions evoke an image of negativity, but that's what a "retail golfer" tag brings to mind.  The important thing to remember is that in our world of golf, these people serve an important roll in the health of the industry.

What the image may lack in education of the finer points of course architecture we like to discuss endlessly here, we couldn't live without them.

Now if the balance of power shifts to an excessive number of "retail golfers" and less "core golfers"......  What does that mean for the future of the industry?

Ken

Bill_Yates

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 02:41:30 PM »
Perhaps this is what many players not in the know and many management teams are doing by slowly making golf a commodity.  The mantra, compete on price not on quality and value.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 02:53:23 PM »
Good point, Bill. One of your very few.

I was very surprised to read a recent Tom Doak post re-quoting Mike Keiser as using this moniker. While Keiser may have used the term, I hardly think it is a good description to be banting about...for the reason Yates brings up.

I also dislike "Golf Industry."
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »

I also dislike "Golf Industry."

Forrest,

In which regard?

Ken

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 02:56:07 PM »
Forrest,
It's just another way to describe the average, or ordinary, player, without calling him or her average, or ordinary. I've seen it used to explain a type of architecture,i.e., something everyone can play.
Its also used to describe the daily fee player vs. the season pass holder.

I don't think it's meant to derogatory.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »
Forrest:

I have never seen the term as derogatory at all.  

I think Mike uses it to try and sort out what the public golfer appreciates, and/or what the golfer is willing to pay more to play.  He is simply talking about his customers, and he's not trying to dumb them down -- in fact, he gives them more credit for being sophisticated and actually caring about the design of the golf course than nearly any developer I've ever met.

Some of his generalizations about his customers:

Likes -- elevated tees; sexy short par-4's; firm running conditions in the fairways; beautiful views.

Dislikes -- sod wall bunkers they can't get out of; too much internal contour in greens; too many long holes into the wind.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »
I dislike Golf Industry because it takes a beautiful game and seems to make it sound as if there is a formula. Most industries have formulas.

"Retail Golfer" implies there are other categories that may be more prestigious, but I am glad to hear your take on Mike's meaning.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:07:56 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »
I really don't understand half the terms now used to justify golf in some areas but I do know that with the international golf scene it seems that 5000 to 8000 rounds per year is abourt right for a course in some areas and less in others.....while the "industry" touts all the new golf development overseas etc....they don't tout the fact that there are no players in many of these places.....It has always been my belief that many in the "industry" knew the NGF " 1 course per day" was BS.....the next problem will be when the developers of some of these new courses have finished using the course to sell housing or resort services.....I am beginning to think many of the courses that will be built now will not last 25 years.....disposable golf.....JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 03:20:16 PM »
Forrest,

I agree with Tom D and others - I don't read anything derogatory into the term. On a public course, its a fact - people are paying customers.  I guess there are no wholesale golfers, though.  As we now know, there are "access whores" which I do find a derogatory - if accurate - term.

Tom's post does imply something about archtiecture, perhaps.  Who do we design for?  

The Owner/Owner's tastes?

Our tastes as gca's?

Our career needs as gca's? (i.e. designing a muni for the US Open hoping to get some good pub)

Our consensus about what retail golfers (the end user) will like?

Our opinions as to what we THINK the retail golfer (end user) should like? (or learn about)

The course that best fits the site, regardless of potential end users (i.e. a Pine Valley to max out the site, even if a muni)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:22:44 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ken Fry

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »
I dislike Golf Industry because it takes a beautiful game and seems to make it sound as if there is a formula. Most industries have formulas.

I believe the word "industry" must be used because of the segmenting in golf.  There's an association for every aspect of golf:  professionals, superintendents, architects, club makers, merchandisers, general managers, sales reps, course owners, developers, tours, countries and states, etc.

I like to use "industry" to be sure all that are involved in golf are included in the discussions.

I agree with Mike Young's statement that many courses built today will not experience the long history that "golden age" courses enjoyed.  It's sure evident in a place like Atlanta with a shifting and expanding population commanding land values.

Ken

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
 8)

Retail golfer.. certainly is derogatory, or at best, a person who shops and buys at sticker price..  perhaps what makes capitalism great.. the market or the sucker who participates in it without question.. almost a victim of fashion?  One who just wants something and will go out and buy it?

Does that make me a wholesale golfer because I'm a club member and because i play 130 times a year, play great courses for 1/3 to 1/2 of what it might cost in the retail market?  Just like the mark-up on most comercial goods!

Commodities have specifications, and if the specs are met, then and only then does price and transportation costs start competing..

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:50:29 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »
Golfers are not stupid. I maintain that golfers, as a whole, would not take kindly to being described as "the retail golfer." Golfers want to feet a part of a course, club or outing — they want to be "on the inside."

David Olgivy, the great advertising leader, once remarked, "The consumer is not a moron. She is your wife." He was referring to how the ad world often talks down to consumers. In my opinion, just the feel of describing golfers as "retail golfers" begins to strike at talking down.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 03:56:05 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »
Forrest,

I understand why you dislike the term golf industry.  I think we could do a golf version of George Carlins "difference between baseball and football" routine......and it would be hilarious and spot on.

What are the estimates for the entire revenue for our fine sport in the US of A now, if anyone know?  It has to be in the billions, and that makes it an industry, or at least a business, and hence the term retail golfer.

The Dallas Morning News had an article on the new head of CCA for KSL and what he is doing to change the corporate culture of the company, and make the clubs they own "relevant" to their members, in hopes of "maintaining the bond" between the club and member, etc.  

There was more business lingo as applied to the game.  But the majority of it ( as I read it) was to think a bit more like Mike K and try to cater to the golf customer/golfer to give them what they want, in hopes of course, of having them get what they want at Club Corp courses rather than elsewhere.

I guess when you pay $1.5B for such a business, you have to think that way.  Aren't some big golf management firms public traded stocks?  Their shareholders probably feel more comfy with a CEO using those kind of terms.

The term I dislike is Mike Y's "disposable golf."  While course closures have occurred all through history, and are accelerating in this economy, I hate to think that its a trend that is accelerating long term.  Or that the pace of change is making that idea more plausible.  If we think the classic golf courses are changed too much now, what does it mean for them if the very nature of golf changes enough that there is more pressure to change them even more?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »
Jeff,
There is a class of 'wholesale' golfers, they're the ones who take advantage of season passes at the publics, or shop the internet for specials.

After quite a few years behind the counter I have compiled a personal list of golfer 'types', but it's not printable.

p.s.golf industry= 62.5 billion a year

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:09:49 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 04:17:29 PM »
Jim K:

If not "wholesale golfers," then "discount golfers" -- all the players who decide where to play based on price instead of based on golf architecture.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 04:19:02 PM »
Jim,

Thanks, and I guess I forgot about that category.

There is another trend that Forrest is probably against in golf, but which I see taking hold - "yield management" of tee times mimicking the airline variable seat pricing.  And many courses are using airline style loyalty programs, as well.

Weekend morning times are so valuble, it makes sense for operators to get as much as they can for them, and then discount through various incentives on slow days.  

My all time favorite mid week pricing gimmick was a Florida course advertising "free golf with purchase of $34 hot dog from our grill."

Frankly, I think courses should use tech - like caller ID and data bases, so that when a repeat player calls for a tee time they can call him by name when they answer - the ultimate sign of respect and the opposite of labeling them with a catch all phrase.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:21:45 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
Jeff — The consumer that will soon grace golf courses will be looking for an authentic experience. This is what is so frustrating to Starbucks as they prepare for new customers — and new habits. What was appealing as a clean retail environment is now, perhaps, not a good target.

And, speaking of TARGET®, this giant is now looking at how to personalize their stores. Take a close look at the new lines of nearly one-of-a-kind imported, hand-made tables or nik-naks. While they are not truly one-of-a-kind, they embrace a sense of quirky and artful merchandise...the kind of stuff you might find at a "real" store.

Golf (and I support just "Golf"...not followed by industry) is well ahead of many sports and pastimes in that we truly have authenticity and a sense of tradition. Phrases such as "retail golfer" just erode this in my view.

...But, I am always open to incorrect viewpoints such as Jeff's.   ;)  Yield management is fine, so long as it is handled behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:25:40 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
Tom D,
Then let me amend my post, 'discount' golfers are the price shoppers, 'wholesalers' are the season pass holders, and they're a little more picky.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 04:39:21 PM »
Jeff,
In the end that's what it's all about, not turning the customer into a number. You can identify, quantify, target, label and then market to any segment you want, but you better treat them like a human when they walk through the door. Do that and what do the labels mean, squat.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 05:13:58 PM »
Forrest,

When I define "authentic experience" I generally think of going to true old line clubs, although some new ones with the same goals as the Golden Age come close.  In other words, how much golf tradition comes through at a typical CCFAD that would use such a phrase?

OT, but I had a client this week (now there is a golf rarity!) who, upon seeing a hole sodded that golf experience/tradition.  Since we were looking at a hole with a big fw carry bunker, he proposed the oft used, well worn "Sahara Desert" for a hole name and asked what I thought we should name the other holes.

After a moment of thought, I said, "Fred, Barbara, Naomi,......." and the discussion was dropped.  I think the point is that they typical course these days doesn't embrace as much tradition as the past and token efforts like hole naming don't get the course there.  In some ways, it takes it even further from the classic golf experiences, because it seems so fake.

At least, I figure the Old Course hole names naturally evolved after hundreds of years (or Carnoustie's "South America" hole from a memorable incident) rather than have some marketing guys try to come up with something cute.  Like golf course quirk, we accept it if it evolves naturally, and don't when it seems contrived.

Of course, I am sure you will point out the error of my ways. ;)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 05:21:24 PM »
I agree, it is a tough assignment to gain "instant authenticity." Maybe it is not do-able. But I think Mike Keiser, for example, has done a very good job.

Naomi — that is a good name.  :P
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Rich Goodale

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 04:24:02 AM »
Thinking from the box of business economics, "retail golfer" is a very important (and non-derogatory) truth.

All goods and services eventually have to be sold to somebody who uses and "enjoys" them.  For simplification, they are the "retail" buyer.

Owners, financiers, developers, architects, builders, and marketeers all add "value" to any golf project, but how much of that total value is real can only be determined by what the retail buyers will pay.  In the golf industry (and yes, it is very much an "industry"--or perhaps more properly a "sector" of some larger indsutry) the retail buyers can be anybody from the Schwab's of the world who fund all the added value by themselves, through players who enjoy the "golfing experiences" of the Keisers and Wynns of the world, to players at the local muni.  Regardless of who these customers are, if they do not spend collectively enough dinero to cover the "value" which the intermediaries appear to have created, somebody is going to lose their shirt.

Any participant in the golfing industry who ignores or denigrates the "Retail Golfer" is living is a dream world which is ultimately unsustainable.

IMO, of course.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:30:34 AM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 07:20:52 AM »
Forrest,
I see nothing wrong with the phrase retail golfer.
It simply defines the golfer who plays in peak times and peak season and therefore by definition makes up the majority of the revenue stream at a public access facility.
Identifying such a person/person and figuring out their wants/needs is simply good business.

I am a perfect example of a retail skiier in that I ski during Christmas and February break when my kids are available and therefore at the peak times for crowds and pricing.

Others I know have friends in the "ski industry" who ski with them,or get them discounts/passes during slower periods.
Or they simply choose a resort during an off peak time and take advantage of airfare,lodging,lesson and lift ticket deals due to lack of demand at that time. They would be a "wholesale skiiers".
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
Frankly, I think courses should use tech - like caller ID and data bases, so that when a repeat player calls for a tee time they can call him by name when they answer - the ultimate sign of respect and the opposite of labeling them with a catch all phrase.

Jeff --

I know one "retail golfer" (no offense taken) who gets just a little creeped out every time a "retail establishment" (no offense intended) answers his telephone call using his name.

Rather than answering his calls with creeps-inducing hyperfamiliarity, that retail golfer I know (no names, please!) would much prefer that courses offer him inducements to return more often.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back