News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

"One by land, two by sea"
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:17:16 PM »
If you have Golfweek handy read this week's article by Roger Hart detailing a round at Arcadia Bluffs and Whistling Straits on the same trip, except the drive was across Lake Michigan on the S.S. Badger Ferry!

There's mention of couple he got teamed up with on the River Course that sounds familiar to me ;D

Has anyone else made the journey across Lake Michigan as part of a golf trip?

RJ_Daley

Re:"One by land, two by sea"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:45:05 PM »
A few of us early GCA and old Bravenet posters, met in Michigan about 2000 to play AB, CD, test run a few holes of Kingsley and a few tried others in the area as well.  

I took the ferry from Manitowoc to Luddington.  It was a very rough day out there.  I was walking around trying to stave off sea sickness, bouncing off the side walls of the corridors, and at one point, walking near the stern when I slipped on the wet deck, and took a nasty ding on my shin on some guide wire.  It was NOT the 'love boat'.

My wife and I came back to WI from a Canada trip many years ago when the ferry went to Kewaunee.  That ferry was filthy (now retired to mothballs) and the crew was drunk on their asses.  There was a crew member incident I couldn't possibly describe without making a very ugly scene here on the Internet.

Jason, are YOU the ex-hockey player with his wife in the article? I guess that sounds about right from your report of EH...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:53:14 PM »
RJ:

We were celebrating our 5th anniversary, yes.  Roger and Rick were great playing partners and we shared some laughs at the Black Wolf Run clubhouse after the round.  I had my worst golfing round of the trip but enjoyed the round the most of the trip.

We were fogged out of the Straits course and that is what lead to our taking the drive over to Erin Hills.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:54:13 PM by JKBlasberg »

Ron Farris

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »
I have taken the ferry across the lake.  It was quite a while ago.  I was going to Arcadia Bluffs to be at the construction site during the absence of the Golf Course Builder - Tim Furness.  He was taking a honeymoon vacation in Hawaii.  He had a lovely wedding by the shore at which hole I am not sure (they have changed so much).  On my way back from my 2-week stay at Arcadia Bluffs I took the ferry to Wisconsin, where I went to the Whistling Straits.  It was late in the afternoon and there was a great rainstorm full of lightning.  The course was cleared for nearly 3 hours.  I talked to the caddie master, explained that I had worked with Pete in the past and that I simply wanted to play the course as fast as I possibly could, just to see the place and take some pictures.  I was given a great caddie and we were allowed to be the first people back out on the course.  We were told that we wouldn't have enough daylight to get finished and I said I did not care.  Fees were paid and off we went.  I took 250 pictures, did not keep score, but we finished in record time as the sunset was 30 minutes away when we walked off the last green.  

The ferry ride was less than eventful, but more than enough time to get some reading done - "Bury Me In A Pot Bunker".

~Ron Farris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back