News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Pioppi at Newport to honor Ocean Links 9
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:26:27 PM »
Looks like Tony Pioppi will be the guest speaker of honor this weekend at Newport CC to celebrate the old Ocean Links nine hole layout that no longer exists. The occasion is the annual T. Suffern Tailer Cup.

See link to Providence Journal article:

http://www.projo.com/sports/paulkenyon/sp_golf_pk26_07-26-07_O66GMSE.3028428.html

Pete Lavallee

Re:Pioppi at Newport to honor Ocean Links 9
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »
Ah, the things you learn when you read the Providence Journal. I was unaware that Myopia Hunt Club was designed by MacDonald and Raynor, was I wrong in attributing the design to Herbert Leeds? ::)
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 08:00:35 PM »
Brad- Well deserved honors to Tony for the research he did while writing his fine book "To the Nines" that featured Ocean Links.

I hope the open bar is available to Tony only after his speach  :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:01:03 PM by GJChilds »

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:09:16 PM »
"In the early 1930s, at the request of a group that included Tailer, Raynor also designed Wanumetonony in Middletown."

Pete,

You can also learn that Raynor designed Wanumetonony several years after he died in 1926.  Now that is news!

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »
Pete, Wayne, stop nit-picking superfluous details and just be gracious for a change towards Pioppi!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
Being gracious for a change towards Pioppi?

Awe shucks, do we have to?  ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Morrison

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 06:02:42 AM »
anything to sell more books...! Hopefully, they stock some sort of libations for autographing cramps!
It is what it is.

Tom Roewer

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 06:43:58 AM »
I think that it is great and a nice and deserved plaudit to Tony.  Congrats!!!!

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:35:23 AM »
Brad,

In no way do I think I was being ungracious to Pioppi.  Frankly, the line is too long and nobody will let me butt in ;D  I am glad his work is being recognized and that he has an opportunity to promote his book.  

Now, Paul Kenyon, well I was poking fun at an error in his Providence Journal article.  However, I wouldn't call these superfluous details.  Is that because I'm a GCA.com junkie?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 07:36:21 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »
I had the opportunity to 'bush wack' with Tony around Brenton Park while he was researching the book.  There seems to be a lost opportunity by The State of Rhode Island, and Newport to expand the park's 'undeveloped' areas.  It is one heck of a location to have to 'bush wack'.  

Maybe after this weekend a member at Newport CC will be inspired to bring attention to the well of fame and the Ocean Links course  with Tony.    

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 12:18:04 PM »
I have been told that this is a reasonable characture of Mr. Pioppi as he prepares to go 'bush wacking'.   Not to be ungracious but; would you allow such a fellow to lead your local scouting troop?

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back