News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

KBanks

New Stanley Thompson book
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »
Has anyone seen "The Golf Courses of Stanley Thompson"? Geoff S. mentions it on his website.

Available at www.photoscape.ca/book.htm

It would be hard to top Banff, Jasper, and Highlands Links as subjects for coffee-table photography.

Ken

Chris_Clouser

Re:New Stanley Thompson book
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »
The price is a little steep, but it may be worth the money.  

I would also like to hear from people like Jeff Mingay or Ian Andrew and see what they think of it.

It would probably be a great companion to the Barclay biography on the man.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
I have a copy. The photography is amazing, and it includes contributions from Ian, Lorne Rubenstein, Rob Thompson and others. Order here:

http://www.photoscape.ca/book.htm

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:41:38 PM »
The book is a coffee table book with lots of great photos - and yes it would make a good companion book to The Toronto Terror.

The good: Many great essays about Thompson with some profiles and opinion pieces being very accurate. Kudos to those writers. Gary McKay's write-ups are very good and well researched. Essay format works very well.

The bad: There are quite a few courses with photos of holes that were renovated and have nothing to do with Thompson - I wish Mike's photos were taken specifically to illustrate his Thompson's known work. Accrediation is occasionally wrong - but that's me being sensitive.

It certainly provides a good look at most of his major courses, although there are a few great ones like Kawartha left out which frustrates me. There is also a lot of great work at small places like Allandale completely ignored.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:46:09 PM by Ian Andrew »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back