News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Darren_Kilfara

Re: Options on RCD off day
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2003, 07:03:03 AM »

Darren

Small world - I too played in a series of matches against Boston University golfers  :o- I played on this side of the ocean, and played a few rounds up in the Cape Cod area.  I cannot remember the year, but it was at least 8 years ago for sure.  

Anyway, I'm betting you played against some friends of mine - Marty Kelly from Belvoir, Ian Hopkins, who was the manager there for a while, Ed Kelly from Dublin, Nicky from Belfast?  Ring any bells?? ???

Let me know - I played against 2 guys from Boston - one was called Andy, the other was Lou Body, who was turning pro hockey right after college I think?  Are we travelling in the same circles?

hp

That is really, really funny. Lou Body was one of my teammates on the Harvard golf team - he was two years older than me. Good defenseman on the hockey team, could hit a golf ball miles and miles. (His pro hockey career didn't amount to much, though, partly from injuries and partly because I don't think he was quite good enough to break out of the minors.) I think he was in the Class of 1994, so it was probably the summer of '94 that you went on your trip.

I went on the trip to Ireland in the summer of 1996 - if you've read my book, you'll be interested to know that a brief description of that was left on the cutting-room floor, so to speak. Three of us had just finished a two-week tour of Scotland before heading over to Ireland - I had a good time, mostly, but I was well-and-truly golfed out by the time we finished up. I don't remember many names of the Irish guys I played with, and yours don't ring many bells...I remember playing The European Club with a nephew of the great Liam Brady, but that's about it.

One of these days (sooner rather than later, I hope!) I'll have to go back across to Ireland and do it properly. :) If you're ever up for a game at Machrihanish, drop me a line at Darren@kilfara.screaming.net, will you? (I wish the stupid Campbeltown-to-Ballycastle ferry would get started again - that'd make such arrangements much easier to put into practice!)

Cheers,
Darren
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2003, 07:28:05 AM »
For a change of pace. Perhaps try Belvoir Park or Royal Belfast, which, I believe, are on route between RCD and Portrush.   Belvoir, in particular, is highly regarded.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

billb

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2003, 08:00:39 PM »
Larry:
I agree wholeheartedly with the Portstewart plan. On my Ireland trip, we played 36 at RCD and then drove all the way to Ballyliffin (3+ hours) and had a 8 am tee time the next morning. Not a good plan.
We played both Ballyliffins, then played Castlerock, Portstewart, and Royal Portrush. The wind was BRUTAL at Portrush so we did not get a good feel for the course. We all liked Portstewart with Castlerock not far behind. Both these are better than either Ballyliffin.
The new holes at Portstewart are definitley cool, but they are right at the start of the round so you don't have a chance to warm up! They also have a much different feel than holes 9-18, which I understand are much older. We won't talk about #8, not sure what is up with that hole.
Castlerock has a much more balanced feeling, one of those "better than a sum of its parts" kind of courses.
Bill

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back