News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Re:Closest fairway to OB?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:54 PM »
I suppose the 18th at NB is bad for people who slice it -- I don't remember even thinking about the car park to the right, proof that I'm almost blind to half the trouble, even though I still find twice as much as anyone else on the left alone!  I certainly don't recall it being nearly as close as the map kmoum posted, but then it is well under 300 yards.

I think that #1 Prestwick is about as bad as it gets because everyone is laying up well left because they don't dare challenge the OB wall off the tee.  So you are left for your second hitting towards the green with bunkers in front of you, the OB wall behind you, and the usual howling wind.

I can imagine TOC #18 being pretty nasty with a back right pin position, but only if one was foolhardy enough to try aim there.  I'd aim left and even if I ended up having to putt out of the Valley of Sin at least the worst score I could make would be a 4.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 11:35:25 PM »
We're talking about holes in the U. S. I believe.  Two courses I've played around Rochester, Silver Lake and Webster, both contain numerous OB stakes close to the fairway.  Webster has two courses.  In 36, 19 holes have OB left.  Several are very, very close.  Neither course at Webster is recommended.  Silver Lake is more interesting but also more tight.  I'd put a few stakes inside 20 feet here.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:03 AM »
We're talking about holes in the U. S. I believe.  Two courses I've played around Rochester, Silver Lake and Webster, both contain numerous OB stakes close to the fairway.  Webster has two courses.  In 36, 19 holes have OB left.  Several are very, very close.  Neither course at Webster is recommended.  Silver Lake is more interesting but also more tight.  I'd put a few stakes inside 20 feet here.

Yes, we are supposed to be, I knew there would be many in the UK. I can't believe how many close OB's there actually are.

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 02:54:03 AM »
15 at merion east, the ob is less than 5 paces from the fairway.  it almost reaches the first cut of rough.

Racetrack

In my (limited) experience at Merion East #15, I would have said two paces, and only first cut of rough before OB.  That is where my ball finished that day.  IIRC, the #2 (tee shot, rhs) and #7 are very close to OB as well.  The #7 green rh edge was 8 paces from the fence.

Glenn, I have photos of all three holes and the OB, if you really want them.

Another hole is Rustic Canyon #1 near Los Angeles.  A very wide fairway, but you need to take on the boundary on the lhs if you want to get near the green for two.

James B
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:55:10 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »
15 at merion east, the ob is less than 5 paces from the fairway.  it almost reaches the first cut of rough.

Racetrack

In my (limited) experience at Merion East #15, I would have said two paces, and only first cut of rough before OB.  That is where my ball finished that day.  IIRC, the #2 (tee shot, rhs) and #7 are very close to OB as well.  The #7 green rh edge was 8 paces from the fence.

Glenn, I have photos of all three holes and the OB, if you really want them.

Another hole is Rustic Canyon #1 near Los Angeles.  A very wide fairway, but you need to take on the boundary on the lhs if you want to get near the green for two.

James B

James,

Thank you for the offer, but it won't be necessary. I believe everyone on here to be telling the truth.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:53:57 AM by Glenn Spencer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back