News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Golf around Wrightsville Beach - Wilmington
« on: September 05, 2006, 06:10:02 PM »
It looks like instead of going to St. Andrews in late March I lost the flip and will go to Wilmington of all places for a spell in early April.  Is there any good public access golf this way?  How far is the north end of Myrtle Beach?

I am also looking at playing Southern Pines & The Road on the same trip.  I am considering playing a third course.  Is #8 worth twice the price of Mid-Pines?  Is there another course nearby Pinehurst that would float my boat?  

I forgot to mention Raleigh.  Any good public options?  

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 06:32:32 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

michael j fay

Re:Golf around Wrightsville Beach - Wilmington
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 06:15:29 PM »
Sean:

# 8 is not worth half the green fee of Mid Pines. Pine Needles is a wonderful option.

Wilmington offers the Wilmington Muni which is pretty much all original Ross at about $ 14.00. If you can sneak out onto the Cape Fear Country Club, that would be a real treat.

Wimington is about 45 minutes to an hour to Myrtle Beach.

Dan Moore

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »
Porters Neck Plantation is a Tom Fazio course about 10 minutes away from the beach and is open to the public.  Its what you would expect, nothing more or less though it would have proximity going for it.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:48:34 PM »
Sean,

Your Michigan contacts shouldn't be the same as your NC contacts, so I won't be.... ;D

I worked in the Wilmington/ New Bern area for almost ten years early in my career. I don't know what's there any more, as the area has exploded with development. I worked at Landfall, a Dye/ Nicklaus project in Wrightsville. It's private, so I doubt you are interested.

I think Duck Haven is NLE.....thank goodness!

I'll do some asking around...I have a cousin (also a superintendent) visiting from there. He will be here for dinner and a concert on Thursday, so I'll get back to you after that....if the wine doesn't mess with my short term memory too much!

Cheers,

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
I would urge you to play the Muni.

If you head down the road to the Myrtle Beach area, you can be at River's Edge (very good Palmer course) in no more than 40 min.  It is another 15 min. or so to Tiger's Eye (very good course by Tim Cate) and another 30 min. from there to the Barefoot Landing resort and the Love Course by the DLIII group (featuring Paul Cowley of GCA fame!)  I think all three are worth the trip, and all three are very easy drives from Wilmington, with the exception of the last 20 min. of the trip to Barefoot.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Dan Moore

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »
Sean,

Its been a few years and I only played it once in about 2.5 hours early one morning.   Porters Neck Plantation is a real estate development course so housing is part of the landscape.  Very attractive features, not too difficult as I recall.  Decent golf but nothing special.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 07:30:53 AM »
Sean,
The Muni is local shorthand for Wilmington Municipal, the aforementioned Donald Ross gem.

Cape Fear CC was also mentioned earlier.  If you can find a way on there, it would be worth your efforts.  Kris Spence, who has occasionally posted here, has recently completed a renovation of the course, which was also a Ross design, though somewhat altered over the years.  I haven't seen the course since it reopened, but the pictures look great and a friend who is a member is thrilled with the way the work came out.  

FWIW, CFCC and the Muni are only a few miles apart off Oleander Dr., which is the main drag through Wilmington.  From either, it is a straight shot down Highway 17 to the north end of the Myrtle Beach courses that I mentioned earlier.  Every July, I spend a week on the north end of the Myrtle area (Sunset Beach), and take one day to play in Wilmington, usually 36 holes.  It is an easy trip if you want to see any of the better courses on the Strand.  Unfortunately, Caledonia and True Blue are on the extreme south end of the Strand, and that would be a 2 hr. drive from Wilmington.  But River's Edge, Tiger's Eye, and the Love Course at Barefoot would be easily accessible for you.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Will Hubbard

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »
Sean,

A.G.'s advice is good. I agree with the exception of River's Edge.  My dad played there in the last month and it sounds as if conditioning has become a severe problem there.  On the other hand Tiger's Eye is usually in very good condition and would be an easy drive down Hwy 17.  

Another very interesting choice, depending on your time, would be Bald Head Island Club.  It is a classic George Cobb (I think) course that is very enjoyable.  There is more elevation change than you would think but its not an "ocean side" course through dunes.  I have always enjoyed it, but it has been several years since I have played it.  The difficulty is getting there (but that is part of its charm).  From Wilmington you drive about 30 minutes to Southport (a neat town I visit often with family).  You take a 20 minute private ferry from Southport to Bald Head Island which has no automobiles- you either walk, ride a bike or rent a golf cart.  Its a pretty neat place.  That time of year my guess is that there would be some sort of deal going on that would include ferry and golf. You will have to make a day of it, but if you go to the Love course in MB you will make a day of it too. Here is a link to BHIC:
 http://www.baldheadisland.com/aa/golf.asp

Scratch_Nathan

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:28:40 PM »
Sean -

Seems like most of the folks on the thread sent you out of the Wilmington area (except for those recommending Porters Neck, Cape Fear and Bald Head).  

Just south of Wilmington but not quite to River's Edge or North MB, check out Magnolia Greens (daily fee) which has 27 holes (some very good ones) and usually has some of the best greens in the area.  Lockwood Folly isn't bad either.

Not sure if you have the persuasive qualities/connections for getting onto some of the private tracks in Wilmington, but here are a few to shoot for:
Landfall Nicklaus is my favorite, by far, in the area
Landfall Dye also has some very interesting holes
Eagle Point is a nice new private

Good luck.

Will Hubbard

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 01:09:04 PM »
sean,

FYI, there is a write-up on the Muni on GCA.com in the Courses by Country section.

BTW, my condolences on losing the draw.  New Hanover county, NC certainly will be a disappointing substitute for Fife!

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 02:24:19 PM »
Sean,

I've played Wilmington Municipal, Porters Neck and Bald Head Island. It's been a few years since I played Wilmington Muny, but I'd recommend it. A terrific restoration by Ron Prichard that, as illustrated in the Courses by Country report, shows what can be done to bring a gem back to life. The volcano par 3 on the front side is really cool.

Porters Neck (T. Fazio) is a nice course in an upper middle housing development that has some decent holes but I wouldn't make a special trip--I also heard that it's been closed for greens and maybe other work and don't know if or when it is reopening; same with Bald Head Island (G. Cobb). Bald Head Island is a beautiful place but unless you are planning to stay there I wouldn't make the trek via ferry etc. just to see the golf course.

A course I suspect nobody here has played is Castle Bay north of Wilmington in Hampstead (where my mother lives). I think it's a self-made course by the developer there (as I recall when I asked the guy at the pro shop who had designed the course he said the developer who had some "really good shapers," which I agree with). I found the course challenging with very good variety and interest--some pretty wild greens with decent internal contours. It's links-style built around marshlands that are used to good effect. If nothing else floats your boat you might check it out.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:27:22 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Paul Carey

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 05:37:21 PM »
Sean,

My 2 cents on Bald Head (full disclosure: I am a member and homeowner and just returned home after after a few weeks on the island):

The course:  Bald Head is a great example of good use of minimalism in architecture.  George Cobb moved very little dirt to build the course and the natural contours of the dunes and hills of the island were simply grassed over.  For that part of the country there is more elevation change than most courses and it is used pretty effectively in the design.  The 16th is an excellent par three of 204 from the back tee with about a 40 foot elevation chage.  The hole faces the ocean to the south and can be a three wood  to a 7 iron depending on the wind (when it crosses you have no chance).  There are a few irrigation ponds that come into play a bit more than I would like but that is typical of golf courses in that area.

Conditioning is excellent.  Since the members aquired the club approximately four years ago the conditioning is on par with the best in the area.  A new irrigation system which eliminated much of the salinity in hte water, clearing of some dense brush and rebuilt tees have really taken this year.  March is always a tough time to predict as it is too early for the bermuda to get much growth.  They did not overseed last year but I do not know the palns for this winter.

In summary it is a good solid golf course that looks like George Cobb took what nature gave him and laid out a golf course.  The land is beautiful and weaves throught the Maritime Forest...it would recieve top scores in the "Walk in the Park" test.  

There have been some good suggestions here but if you want to take some extra time for a Ferry ride and a round on a fine course Bald Head is worth it.  If you family is waiting at the door for you to get home from golf then it may be too much.

If you head that way PM me and we can hook up.  I am often on the island that time of year.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 09:26:47 PM »
Sean, I attended UNCW and worked at Porters Neck and then at Cape Fear.  I love both courses.  Porters Neck is a fun Fazio course, I am not sure about the conditioning these days, I haven't played it in nearly 8 years.  Cape Fear was just redone, I am hoping to play it sometime soon, Kris Spence did a great job from what I can see.  The Wilmington Muni is a fun, classic Ross course and the best value that you will find.  The Landfall club has a both a Nicklaus and Dye course, they are fun and challenging but nothing great.  There are some new coures north of Wilmington that I haven't played.  MB is an hour south, there is alot of fun courses in between.  Outside Cape Fear or the Muni, I don't think that you will come away writing a dissertation on classic GCA but I think that you will enjoy Wrightsville Beach, Wilmington and the area.  Have a great trip.

Tom Renli

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 09:57:36 PM »
One more vote for Wilmington Municipal.  I have not played there in several years and clearly forgot how good it is.  It is pretty simple:  Ross, $21, walk, 4 hours, friendly people, birdie at the long par 3 16th, return to a happy wife after her day at Wrightsville Beach.  Cheers, Tom

Doug Wright

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 01:32:54 AM »
Thanks for the tip on Bald Head.  This island sounds interesting.  Is it worth visiting with family for a few days?  Any good inns/b&bs near beaches (presumably the island has beaches)?  

Sean,

Bald Head Island is indeed a beautiful island, made moreso by the ferry-only access and no autos ambiance. Definitely a great family place with beautiful beaches. In late March I suspect you could rent a very nice condo very cheaply--it should be deserted. Of course, the weather may not be conducive to beachwear nor the water warm enough for swimming.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 12:26:05 PM »
Well, then, since you're aiming to stay at Bald Head, if you want to come off-island and play close by, check out St. James:

http://www.stjamesplantation.com/clubamen/golf.asp

I've only played the P.B. Dye course; it's pretty good, IMO, by far the most reasonable of his stuff that I've seen.  I really like Tim Cate's other courses in the area (Tiger's Eye, Thistle) so I would like to see that one.  I don't know what the public access situation is for the four courses, but you are only a few minutes away when you come off the ferry.

Will Hubbard

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 02:20:34 PM »
Sean,

If you are going to stay on Bald Head Isl. with the family for a few days (a great choice in my mind) I would not take the time to leave BHI to go play at St. James.  

Not to poo poo on St. James. (I have played all its courses multiple times and they are fine.  when in Southport that is where I usually play cause they are close by.)  But If you are staying on Bald Head play that course multiple times, don't bother going back to the mainland while staying on the island. None of those other courses are worth the hassle.

Cheers, Will

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
Sean,

If you are going to stay on Bald Head Isl. with the family for a few days (a great choice in my mind) I would not take the time to leave BHI to go play at St. James.  

Not to poo poo on St. James. (I have played all its courses multiple times and they are fine.  when in Southport that is where I usually play cause they are close by.)  But If you are staying on Bald Head play that course multiple times, don't bother going back to the mainland while staying on the island. None of those other courses are worth the hassle.

Cheers, Will

I've never played Bald Head, so I'll defer to Mr. Hubbard's judgement on that one.  Enjoy the island.

Will,
If you DID come off for a day, would you go to St. James or try someplace like Tiger's Eye?

Bryan_Pennington

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 03:55:16 PM »
I would agree with Mr. Hubbard.  Bald Head is wonderful and depending on the wind direction and speed, you can play a completely different course on the same day if the wind changes direction and speed (as it usually does).

As for Cape Fear, I just heard the have re-closed the course following the renovation.  I understand they opened the course under much pressure from the membership, perhaps too early, and needed to re-close the course to heal some of the damage on the greens.  I have not heard an re-re-openning date, but they have a big Member-Guest next month, so I imagine it will be no sooner than a couple of days before that tournament.  

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 05:36:18 PM »
Gents,

I only played it once, but I didn't walk off Bald Head Island GC saying "that's a great golf course!" I guess one person's ode to minimalism is another person's boredom.... ;) Still a wonderful island and vacation spot.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:37:04 PM by Doug Wright »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 09:46:34 PM »
I believe that Cape Fear has been closed for the next 3 weeks.  My understanding is that they got 22 inches of rain in about 2 weeks, and the greens need some time to dry out and grow in before they let traffic back on them.  Not sure about the Member-Guest tournament.

Paul Carey

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »
One thing to add that may be a bit off topic.  Prior to heading for the ferry stop in Southport at the Provision Company at the water.  Have a couple beers, some great local simple seafood (clams, tuna, shrimp etc.).  Watch the boats and chat up the locals.

Paul

Nathan Cashwell

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 10:19:21 PM »
Sean,

As some have stated previously play Cape Fear CC if you can anyway swing it, definitely best in the area.  The Muni is one of the best deals in golf, the residents of Wilmington are extremely lucky.  The first five holes are one of the best starts you could hope to find.  You also should bring your ground game and play by the local rules: play your approaches low to ground, and don't give too much of the hole away while putting on the tiny subtle bermuda greens.  Enjoy!

Will Hubbard

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 01:52:59 PM »
Sean,

Cheers, Will

I've never played Bald Head, so I'll defer to Mr. Hubbard's judgement on that one.  Enjoy the island.

Will,
If you DID come off for a day, would you go to St. James or try someplace like Tiger's Eye?

AG- If time were no object, Tiger's Eye.  But TE is at least 45 min drive vs. 15 min max for St. James.  There is only a slight difference in cost.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »
St. James has a new Michael Nicklaus design named "The Reserve".  My parents moved to St. James a few years ago from NY, and I have played many rounds of golf there.  I enjoy my time down there with the family, but I wouldn't recommend it as a golf getaway.  I don't particularly like golf courses that weave through housing developments...however, if you get The Reserve in its current state, you are playing it before there is too much construction.  I enjoyed it and thought there were some great holes.  Get it while it's in its infancy...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back