News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Whitinisville GC
« on: July 08, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »
flipping thru the Confidential Guide this morning, I came a course which i don't recall being discussed here:  the  Ross 9-holer which Tom gave an 8 to....thoughts from those who have played it??  thanks
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

redanman

Re:Whitinisville GC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 10:22:42 AM »
Has about 7 stellar holes.

It has been discussed. Go find it yourself.

There is still "A lot of Ross there".

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »
It's the course I wish I had in my backyard ... well, that or Royal Worlington & Newmarket.

And, for a course in the Boston-to-Washington corridor, it is about as far off the beaten track as you could be.

Ray Richard

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »
This course is a Ross gem. I indeed spent 1 hour driving around mid- Massachusetts trying to find it. The superintendent told me "positively no room to add any more golf". Brian Silva has worked on some restoration and tee enhancement.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:47:47 PM »
I played a MA amateur qualifier here about 5 years ago.  They had us play the white tees the first time around, then the blues on go-round #2.

#9 is one of the best holes in Mass.  A long par four with an angled tee shot, then a second angled across a chasm and sloping ground.  The second is also very good, a short par 3 of roughtly 145 that is semi-blind over mounds to an undulating green.

Fun stuff.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Adam_Messix

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
Whitinsville is great stuff and is VERY hard to find.  I agree with Tom Doak's analysis in the Confidential Guide except for the 3rd Hole across Fletcher Street which I like very much.  Whitinsville has one feature that you see on Ross routing maps, but rarely do they survive on his courses.  The tee shot on five has a cluster of bunkers at the top of the hill that are a good aiming point for the tee shot.  He put this feature in the routing map of #4 at Rolling Rock, but they've either been removed or never built.  The finisher is a great hole, particularly the heroic tee shot required from the blue tee.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:30:51 PM by Adam_Messix »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back