News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: 1 course near Denver to play?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 11:58:39 AM »
I'm also doing the Denver-to-Ballyneal trek in a few weeks and have time for one round somewhere in between.  Any other ideas or thoughts?  I probably don't have a ton of extra time to go too far out of the way.  Thanks in advance.

The 2008 Pub Links will be at Murphy Creek in a few weeks.  I played it, Ballyneal and flew in the same day a few years ago as Murphy Creek is very near the airport.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »
Jim C:

On the public side try Bear Dance in Larkspur -- about 40 minutes south of Denver Int'l Airport. Extremely scenic and well done public layout. Ditto Riverdale Dunes and Murphy Creek as alternates.

On the private side -- I have not played the new C&C Colorado GC yet although some have raved about it. Playing Jim Engh's Pradera in nearby Parker is also another private option if you can access.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »
It seems that everybody is visiting the plains just before or just after I make my pilgrimage in a couple of weeks. Are you guys avoiding me? :'(

At least I can take part in the inevitable online discussion. :D

Based on what I've heard, I'm not sure that any combination of emoticons will be able convey the joys of  Ballyneal and/or Sand Hills.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John_Conley

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05:10 PM »
I'm also doing the Denver-to-Ballyneal trek in a few weeks and have time for one round somewhere in between.  Any other ideas or thoughts?  I probably don't have a ton of extra time to go too far out of the way.  Thanks in advance.

The 2008 Pub Links will be at Murphy Creek in a few weeks.  I played it, Ballyneal and flew in the same day a few years ago as Murphy Creek is very near the airport.

Jaka, did your brother design Murphy Creek?  I've heard very good things about it.  Played my first Doak last week, still looking forward to my first KK.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:18:07 PM »
Yes, Ken Kavanaugh, my brother, designed Murphy Creek.  He will be attending many of the ceremonies for the 2008 Pub Links as somewhat of a proud father of the course.  This would be a good time for me to mention how proud I am to have a brother who is and has made actual and major contributions to this great game...and now even during a national championship.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »
Play Ballyneal twice, much better than running around unless you can play Sanctuary in Denver
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »
Pradera

Tim Leahy

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
Yes, Ken Kavanaugh, my brother, designed Murphy Creek.  He will be attending many of the ceremonies for the 2008 Pub Links as somewhat of a proud father of the course.  This would be a good time for me to mention how proud I am to have a brother who is and has made actual and major contributions to this great game...and now even during a national championship.

I will second Murphy Creek, played the same day as my last flight out of Denver and enjoyed it very much, very easy access to the airport.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »
I played Murphy Creek this last weekend, and it was in good shape. The rough is getting very intimidating, and if you manage to land in one of the clumps of turf found in the many gnarly bunkers, you may never see that ball again. Love the 14th, what I in my ignorance might call a cape hole. If you're too far left, it's water. If you're too far right, you have a better angle to the green, but the water will lurk behind, you'll likely be hitting from the rough, and the land gets hillier the further right you go, so your lie won't be a picnic. Short par 4, but a lot of fun. The course is easily accesible to the airport, just down 470. Matt Ward must have had a lot of luck when he was driving south from DIA, because I don't know that I could get from DIA to Bear Dance OR Pradera in 40 minutes, but Google Maps says it's doable, so it must be !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tim Kratz

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
Jim:  If you have access, I would definitely go with the Colorado Golf Club.  I think it's a fantastic layout and a better course than Cherry Hills, which I also love.  It's a bit of a hike from DIA, but would be worth it.  Also, the recently re-designed Green Gables is an excellent course.

On the public side, I'm partial to Murphy Creek where I play frequently.  It's in the best shape I've ever seen it due to the upcoming National Public Links.  I also agree with others that Bear Dance and Riverdale Dunes  are very good.

Derek_Duncan

Re:1 course near Denver to play?
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
Bill V.
some aspects of Colorado G.C. were epsecially striking:

The use of  natural features such as creeks,   dry  washes,ravines  that directly affect play. These features  were used  epecially well on par threes and par fives.The second, 168y, evoked  Prairie Dunes. The seventh, 575 yds
had  a neat  mix of  bunkering, angles, gullies that influence a golfers tactical chioces
2.  elevation  changes: these climbs were often  used to   strenghen  par fours. However  the  10th was a  great  driving hole (l ot r) 470 but the real treat here  was dropping approach shot that calls for precise distance control.
3.  green complexes & tie ins were splendid, many done by Jim Craig I believe
4. Very nice meandering walk and some nuanced ground features  20-25   yards short of   some greens. hope this helps.

I believe the club is private. however I would counsel  discriminating golfers like your self to make  a special trip to
CGC  if youre within 400-500 miles.

Was in Denver last week and was able to play CGC and Bear Dance, along with Jim Engh's new Four Mile Ranch in Canon City. I could not echo more enthusiastically Mark Chalfant's comments regarding CGC. I would have a very difficult time deciding if I had to choose one round at either Ballyneal or CGC. The par 5 16th with alternate fairways separated by a rushing creek is one of the best holes I've seen anywhere.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Kirk Gill

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 11:56:03 PM »
Derek, I'd be really interested in hearing more about your experience at Four Mile Ranch. I don't know that I've played any bunkerless courses that were not either supercheap muni-type courses or pasture golf. What's your take on Four Mile Ranch? I'm excited to play it, when I go down to visit some relatives near there. Any pics?

-Don Barzini

Max Caulkins

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »
To echo many here, if you cannot nab an invite to one of the top 3 or 4 private courses, Riverdale Dunes would be my choice, given the parameters you have set out. It's convenient to DIA and a really fun track.  Beyond that, in order of quality of playing experience as well as convenience to the airport, try Buffalo Run or Green Valley Ranch. Each has some screwy holes but you could do much worse. Next year at this time, the recently named but not yet opened CommonGround course, Doak's re-do of the old Mira Vista course, might be a good alternative. But that's for another time...

Tim Pitner

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »
Max,

Is CommonGround really the new name for the old Mira Vista?  I'm guessing that's a nod to the fact that the land is in Denver, Aurora (and/or unincorporated Arapahoe Co.) and perhaps on federal property too, but I must admit I was hoping for something better than that (which isn't to say I'm any less excited about playing it). 

Doug Wright

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »
Max,

Is CommonGround really the new name for the old Mira Vista?  I'm guessing that's a nod to the fact that the land is in Denver, Aurora (and/or unincorporated Arapahoe Co.) and perhaps on federal property too, but I must admit I was hoping for something better than that (which isn't to say I'm any less excited about playing it). 

Tim, Unfortunately that is the name. It sounds like a new chain of coffee shops.

From the CGA website/press release on the new name:

“This facility doesn’t just belong to the CGA and CWGA, it belongs to the community,” remarked Fowler. “It belongs to the state’s best golfers and to those just taking up the game. It belongs to golfers, but it also belongs to non-golfers as a rare preservation of nearly 400 acres of open space within the city limits. It belongs to this generation and it belongs to the next generation and the generations to follow. It belongs to everyone and will be priced so that everyone can enjoy it.”

Fowler’s comments underscored the affordability of the course which is an extension of the joint CGA and CWGA mission to promote the game of golf in Colorado. Fowler concluded his remarks by emphasizing the words “common ground” and the connection of those words to the place and the mission of the associations.

“When it came to a name for this facility, we had a much larger task than simply naming a golf course,” said Fowler. “Our challenge was to name the place, but more importantly to name the purpose behind that place—to name the mission. What is the right name to describe a place that is shared and that is reached by keeping everyone’s needs in mind? What is the right name for the ground that is founded on the common interests of all? Ladies and gentlemen--CommonGround Golf Course.”

http://www.cogolf.org/iframe.php?URL=new-course/newcourse.htm

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:19:44 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dan Kelly

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 08:03:21 PM »
“When it came to a name for this facility, we had a much larger task than simply naming a golf course,” said Fowler. “Our challenge was to name the place, but more importantly to name the purpose behind that place—to name the mission. What is the right name to describe a place that is shared and that is reached by keeping everyone’s needs in mind? What is the right name for the ground that is founded on the common interests of all? Ladies and gentlemen--CommonGround Golf Course.”

That's just nauseating.

I can't bear to look at that Web site. The logo might kill me.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
Turns out the logo's not fatal.

It's an oval "green" composed of a C and a ... backward G, with a flagstick constituting the vertical part of the backward G.

Naturally, people who'd name a golf course CommonGround wouldn't be bothered by the backwardness of the G.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kirk Gill

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
Tim, Unfortunately that is the name. It sounds like a new chain of coffee shops.

Doug, in fact it's an already-existing chain of coffee shops. Pretty good  coffee, too.

http://www.commongroundscoffeehouse.com/

And they have a better logo as well.........

I'm sure their intentions were good..............
                             -Don Barzini

Ron Farris

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 12:11:42 AM »
My daughter worked at Common Grounds (the coffee shop).
The golf course truly out shines the name.  I visited it with Urbina and Eric Iverson.
They are doing some very interesting features on this course.
I will be in Denver tomorrow and hope to stop by if I have time.

The coffee at the golf course will likely fall short of that at the coffee shop ;D

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
Kirk,

Four Mile Ranch is tremendous fun. I'm not sure that the "bunkerlessness" of the course is the real story, however. Engh and Mitch Scarborough built miniature outcroppings of indigenous shale and rock in several of the fairways that mimic larger scale natural formations that line the course. In our foursome only one person had to play from one. I think some players will balk at having to hit off a rocky mound in a fairway for fear of scratching their clubs but the shale is fairly soft.

The real story is the site. It's a stunning property with holes that flow through various types of ridges and canyons. The first nine runs parallel to the foothills and the second nine climbs up to higher elevations and plays more up and down. Engh was very hands-off and allowed the site's exaggerated natural features to be the show (somewhere around only 50,000 cy were moved).

Still, the course is tightly routed and very walkable. There's plenty of Engh in the design, especially in the putting contours, and also the expected number of blind shots over bluffs and rock formations. But really, everything seems, and is, natural. And as I said before, it's a blast to play. It's the best I've seen from Engh and I expect it to become a Colorado favorite.

I have pictures but I don't know how to post them.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 11:22:29 AM »
How does Fossil trace stack up against Riverdale Dunes or Murphy Creek.

I'll be in Denver in August and will likely have time for 1 round on the 9th in the afternoon.

Thanks,

Kalen

Tim Pitner

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
How does Fossil trace stack up against Riverdale Dunes or Murphy Creek.

I'll be in Denver in August and will likely have time for 1 round on the 9th in the afternoon.

Kalen,

My personal ranking would go RD, MC, FT, but Fossil is the most unique.  With the incorporation of the rocks and the undulating greens, Fossil would probably be more memorable.  It's not a course I'd want to play often but it is interesting.  Riverdale and Murphy Creek are more in the way of just good, solid courses.  Fossil is more expensive (about $75 compared to $40 for the others). 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 12:39:14 PM »
I would rank Ft over the others except in the fact that it is not airport close and probably an hour drive west of Denver and if I was going to drive that far I would play Bear Dance instead.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 01:09:59 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Bear Dance appears to be way south of the city and I'll be out west of Denver so that won't work.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:04:45 PM by Kalen Braley »

Doug Wright

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
Kalen,

If you're west of Denver so is Fossil Trace (in Golden the home of Coors). If you haven't played an Engh course then you should play Fossil Trace; if you have (eg Lakota) then I'd go with Riverdale Dunes.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back