News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re:GCA's Land of Enchantment Get Together - Update
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2003, 06:40:50 PM »
Tom H, are you going up to Pinon Hills? I can't make that so have made a Monday morning tee time at Santa Ana in ABQ. Let me know what your schedule looks like.  

Tomorrow is the Santa Barbara round you weren't able to make.  Neal Meagher arrives for dinner tonight (Mexican at Playa Azul) and 9 a.m. tee time tomorrow morning.  You will be missed!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2003, 07:04:04 PM »
Bill- After Black Mesa, it will be hard to play anywhere else. It is that good!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2003, 07:08:21 PM »
Adam:

Make sure the boys play the real tees at Pinon. No LPGA set-up for the boys!

Hope the course is still playing as firm as when I was there.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2003, 08:07:04 PM »
Matt- I haven't been to pinon for a couple weeks but NO it is not firm. I guess it was the late spring that kept the grass from growing until mid-late may this year. The course reverted back to it's being maintained like every other golf course mode soon thereafter. With all the humidity we've had along with the lightening, the place is a shade of green usually preserved for PGA championships.

For those who are making the trek to Farmington, there is no doubt that the back tees at pinon are special. They often have different angles of orientation and a couple use the diagonal effectively over the canyon areas. Most notably #2.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »
Hi Y'all.
I second Adam's suggestion that if you have time for an extra round and are not heading to Farmington, do yourself a favor and play Black Mesa again.  Or at least leave yourself the option to choose. (single round is under $50)  We're paying $75 for a twice around.

Friday -
I suggest for the guests arriving without time for a full round, but a bit of an itch....
Join Baxter and myself at Marty Sanchez to play the great 28.  8 par 3's and a par 4.  Very nice terrain.  Baxter designed this little gem.  He also designed the reg. course at Marty where baxter and I will be playing earlier in the day.
Great 28 - $17
Regulation - $49 (out of county listed price without cart)

Matt's suggested alternative...
Twin Warriors - $125

Please give me you're final comittment so I can finalize the evening activities.  The Hotel group deadline if firm and not going to be extended.  We will be giving up the additional tee times that we are currently holding by the end of this month.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

THuckaby2

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2003, 09:52:52 AM »
Bill:

As I drove into work this morning, I was ACUTELY aware of what I am missing today.  Good lord, the things I do for the Clorox company and my family.   :'( :'( :'(

Re NM, I'm also gonna have to miss the Monday activities, for the same reasons.  Hurts like hell because I have always wanted to play Pinon, since I first heard about it quite a few years ago... Don't know when I'll ever get this close again, too.  But I gotta be back at work on that Monday, so this trip is a fly in Fri night, fly out Sun night.  Oh well.

Mike - thanks again for setting all this up.  As per my IM, please count myself and Kevin Fredrickson in for all the activities Sat and Sun.  We arrive late Fri night.

See you all soon...

TH

RJ_Daley

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2003, 10:12:29 AM »
Just an observation to take for what it is worth.  For us flatlanders, we will be up in 6000 or so altitude.  If you are like me, overweight and progressing in years, and can't say no to a few drinks with the gang, one might want to moderate your activity to some extent.  Drinking and overexertion at a sudden introduction to altitude can knock the crap out of you.  I for one will play Texas Tech and will need Friday to recoop and acclimatize.  And, I will take a cart for one or maybe both the Black Mesa rounds, because I don't want to be a dead or crapped out hero, even though I love to walk.  I think Pinion is a logical walking course from what I understand from Adam.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

THuckaby2

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2003, 10:17:23 AM »
That is sage counsel, Dick.

What goes against this is the "I'm away from home, I'm gonna achieve maximum golf/partying in the time allowed, I'll rest when I get back home" thought that tends to drown out all others for guys like me.  But 6000 feet does speak loudly.  My legs, lungs, and aching head will likely guide my choices on Sat and Sun.

TH

Doug Wright

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2003, 10:50:55 AM »
For us flatlanders, we will be up in 6000 or so altitude.  If you are like me, overweight and progressing in years, and can't say no to a few drinks with the gang, one might want to moderate your activity to some extent.  

Dick's correct about this. Don't think Brad S and I will have a problem though... ;D

The good news is, up here in the thin air you'll feel years younger because the ball carries 10-15% further.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

RJ_Daley

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2003, 10:59:13 AM »
Doug, I suspect Brad will be hitting them above the curvature of the earth at that altitude! ;D  I can't wait to see how our new fellow GCA intrepid golfer with the world class slap shot will hit them.  Or, is he more the snappy swift wrister like his buddy "Magic"?  Cripes, it is 5 weeks away, and I am already geeked up down here at Great Lakes level 812ft! :o
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

dsilk

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2003, 11:12:25 AM »
OK- I'll bite...
more like a snap shot (as in the quack-quack variety)
hard to say which of the swings will make a guest appearance for the weekend- maybe if I taped my 7 iron...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2003, 11:34:25 AM »
Dave, I wish you could have been with me Sunday at Blue Mound.  I hit some snappy little irons that were more like choked down wristers into the 4 theme par 3s trying to keep the ball flight down into wind and use the kickplates like on the Redan.  They were probably the most satisfying shots I hit all year.  I can only dream of what it would be like to sneak one past Tretiak...

BTW, we will be measuring the curve on your 7 iron on the first tee! ;D

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2003, 11:50:04 AM »
Dick- Just to clarify, Pinon is walkable, not an easy one though. Part of the defense of the course (if played from the orig config) is the closers ability to zap some strength out of you. The climb to the orig 16th is the steepest and with back to back par 5 finishers that both climb gradually but still climb.

Come to think of it, if one plays Marty,  Black Mesa and then the back at Riverview one will get a crash course in Baxter Spann.

Can we get a little backround on Baxter, and you too Mike? Who's Finger?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2003, 12:03:29 PM »
For those going to New Mexico who have a short amount of time (hint Huckaby and others) I would STRONGLY suggest if push comes to shove that the two (2) courses one must play are:

Black Mesa

Paa-Ko Ridge

I don't doubt the qualities of the rest but if you want to experience two of the finest modern designs I have played you can't go wrong with the above two.

I am a big fan of Pinon Hills but I also realize that getting to and from Farmington isn't like you're catching the "A" train in Manhattan. It's a very good course but if time is short you can always hang close in the Santa Fe and Albuquerque to play these two superb layouts.

Wow -- I just miss playing themand hope to return real soon.

P.S. By the way -- for those playing Black Mesa I would strongly suggest that those who have the wherewithal play the back tees because Baxter Spann has crafted a stunning layout and it's worth seeing it from the real man tees. On Paa-Ko I would say the next set of tees in front of the championships is quite good although if you have a desire to see it all the back tees there are a real treat too!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2003, 12:13:28 PM »
Matt, I resemble that remark! ;D  The last time I looked and operated the equipment, I am actually a real man.  But, I can't hit the freakin ball 300 yards! :o  Well, maybe at altitude... ::)  Perhaps I can take a picture of a real man-gorilla on one of the back tees.  But, you get my drift, si senor? ;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2003, 12:23:20 PM »
RJ,

Dontworryabouddit. You'll have plenty of company ahead of the back tees.

Our man Matt's never seen a back tee he doesn't like--the guy is scary long. YOu think Brad Swanson's long? Matt's ball's waving adios to Brad's goin' by... ;)

All The Best,

Matt_Ward

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2003, 12:32:46 PM »
RJ Daley:

Sorry partner -- no offense meant!

Black Mesa does have a few holes you justhave to play from the back tees in order to appreciate the angle required to succeed. For what it's worth play the back tee on the 16th even for just a hoot because this uphill par-5 climbing out of the canyon is so well done it's scary. I've mentionedto Mike Nuzzo and Pat Brockwell -- the course superintendent -- that the hole just needs to be widended a bit in the driving zone where the fairway bunkers pinch in so as to tempt the longer hitter to fit driver through that gap.

The glories of Black Mesa and Paa-Ko Ridge can be played from any tee combination. I only suggested the back tees for those who may want to play an extra drive to assess what the architects have included from that perspective.

P.S. Best bet for back tees -- try the beautiful back tee on Paa-Ko's 17th hole. It is set up as high as the 1st at Sanctuary and Castle Pines in Colorado and you get an awesome view of the entire course and the Sandia Mountains. Of course -- only r-e-a-l mean go back there. ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2003, 01:06:56 PM »
All,

Brad Swanson and I'll be driving down to Santa Fe from Denver that Friday, playing a round en route. Anyone know anything about Taos CC?

Gracias.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2003, 01:17:34 PM »
Keeping with my nature I want everyone to know a few things:

The weather this year is as goofy as any. We've had humidity and even some rain. The unpredictablity is high, so if you think you might need it, bring it. That includes some warm gear in case the mornings are a bit nippy.

The odds are still with beautiful weather conditions, but now, noone can say they weren't forewarned.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2003, 01:25:53 PM »
Adam:

You sound like the weather guys and gals from the NY area. Covering the bases for any possibility! ;D

Really though the weather should be at its best when all of you gather.

Doug:

Taos CC is a decent layout with the better holes on the back nine. It's not a Black Mesa or Paa-Ko Ridge by any means but worth stopping to play. I believe from the tips the course ONLY plays 7,300 yards but it's usually quite firm'n fast and the greens when I was there were quite good.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2003, 01:39:08 PM »
Matt, can you tell us about the Airforce's  "hidden gem" NLE and officially never did, at Roswell,  or Truth or Consequeces Golf and Riding Academy, or the Links at Tucumcari?  I hear the Trinity links is a big waste and has one big bunker.  Is there anyplace in NM you haven't seen. :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 01:40:52 PM by RJ_Daley »

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2003, 01:48:18 PM »
Dick- It's more like "is there any place anywhere"?

THuckaby2

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2003, 01:48:41 PM »
Matt:

Then it looks like Mike planned perfectly.  The planned activities for Sat/Sun do indeed feature those two courses.

TH

Matt_Ward

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2003, 02:12:45 PM »
Adam, Huck, RJ, et al:

I was smitten with The Land of Enchantment for quite some time and my wife and I have been scoping out property in the Santa Fe area for quite some time. Truth be told -- you can never play Black Mesa and Paa-Ko too many times. The only issue I have with Paa-Ko is that the par-3 4th is really overdone by Ken Dye. It wasn't necessary to have a par-3 that can play anywhere from 160-230 yards with three tiers that look like they came out of a department store. The other par-3's at Paa-Ko are quite good and very demanding although some of you might whine that they are tooooo tough. ;D

The key thing to remember is that New Mexico is only beginning to bring forward high octane quality golf. Plenty of the original layouts that people talk about -- i.e. Inn of the Mountain Gods in Mescalero and The Links at Sierra Blanca in Ruidoso are good courses but nothing worthwhile to make a special trip to see. I have never thought Cochiti was in the same league as the others but I give them credit for making people believe otherwise.

UNM / Championship (South) is a very good Red Lawrence design but they often overwater the place where tee shots can hit and simply roll 5 yards at best. This is the same issue that Adam and I have discussed regarding Pinon Hills. These courses would play even more thrilling with the bounce included.

Santa Ana is a good design and the final holes on the Cheenya nine will not suffer fools at anytime. Twin Warriors is also just a notch below what you find at Paa-Ko and Black Mesa -- the tee game stuff is good at TW -- it's just that the greens really lack the character and detail you see with what Ken Dye and Baxter Spann did at the two aforementioned courses.

Unfortunately, New Mexico is thought of by too many people as simply an extension of Mexico. The people and countryside are dynamic and when you come from New Jersey you learn to appreciate the innate beauty that is The Land of Enchantment. Can't wait to hear the stories and opinions of the courses.

THuckaby2

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2003, 02:14:44 PM »
Great stuff Matt - thanks.  As if I weren't stoked enough for this trip.... but damn, on the other hand I am getting more and more bummed it has to be so short!  So mich to see, so little time...

OK, it's just like I told people about missing Macrhihanish on my recent Scotland trip.  One does need concrete reasons to return.  

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back