News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Nuzzo

Re:GCA's Land of Enchantment Get Together - Update
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2003, 03:27:38 PM »
Howdy.

Y'all should be able to make arrangements at the Raddison.  Tom Velarde, the head pro from Black Mesa, played a role in assistance - Thank you.  I just faxed over the paperwork and deposit.  Give them a little time to get it through their system.  Please start making room accomodations as we'll need to modify the total room numbers prior to arrival.  Currently there are 30 rooms on hold.  No checkie no roomie -- As Mr. Ward would say.

Adam and I are discussing options in Farmington, and will make a reccomendation in the coming weeks.  

As Pinon Hills is a muni, please let me know as soon as possible as they aren't as flexible as Black Mesa or Paa-Ko.  Currently we have spots for 16 players on monday morning.

Matt - Hope you had a good day at Black Mesa.  And a great trip around NM.

If it weren't for lots of golf, there is also quite a bit to do in Santa Fe.  Nice place.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2003, 08:10:32 PM »
OK, Mike, I'm booked at the Radisson through Saturday night. Thanks!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

dsilk

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2003, 09:59:22 AM »
Mike,
I am a "yes" for monday!!
cheers,
Dave Silk
Boston, Ma
(Black Rock, Secession)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2003, 12:46:36 PM »
Played Black Mesa again during my latest golf trip out to the Land of Enchantment and just have to say hats off to the gang there -- from Eddie and Pat and Tom and all the rest -- the folks at Black Mesa have a very clear and deep understanding of what golf is about.

I've visited my share of golf courses and it's so utterly refreshing to see people who "get it" and will not settle for a course that is "dumb down" architecture. For this I have to also say kudos to Baxter Spann. I have a few ideas on how they can make Black Mesa even more of a challenge with a few added back tees (putting the 1st tee behind the pond on the right -- the 5th tee up and to the right of where the back tee is now, etc, etc) but I'm really splitting hairs.

When I played Black Mesa for the first time in early May the winds were a bit testy (15-20 mph!!!) and it really called upon all your skills to manage one's game. When I played there last Wednesday the day was ideal with just enough wind to keep things interesting. How the course is not rated higher than 73.5 is beyond me. Black Mesa should be no less than 74+ given the numbers one sees at Paa-Ko and Twin Warriors.

My original opinion of Black Mesa is clearly cemented. I know many people have asked me if Black Mesa is REALLY that good? I just say to them this -- go and see for yourself. The contours on the fairways and greens call for the golfer to play a wide array of shots. Baxter deserves high marks for a routing that throws an assortment of different challanges through a very comprehensive and divergent set of holes -- the lone exceptions being the continuous staright line play of holes #5 through #7 and the forced nature of man's hand with the 9th. The pacing of Black Mesa is what makes the course so special. You cannot fall back on one type of shot to deal with what you face and the entire back nine is simply mesmermizing as you gaze upon the sacred Indian lands that engulf the entire vista. If you want on-course esthetics and off-course ones as well -- Black Mesa does not disappoint.

I have a high opinion of Nex Mexico golf because it is only now just becoming known. The group from GCA that ventures to the Land of Enchantment will have a number of superior courses to play with the likes of Paa-Ko Ridge, Twin Warriors and Pinon Hills, to name just three. I just hope the folks at Black Mesa and elsewhere in the state keep in mind to be themselves and not to copy the formulas you find in Vegas, Scottsdale and Palm Springs.

Black Mesa proves what can happen when you have superior land and a team of people who know how to make the most of it. I can't wait to return later this fall when my wife and I return in October to see Santa Fe in all its late season glory.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2003, 05:13:49 PM »
Mike,

I have spoken with the professional at Texas Tech, and those who want to play en route to New Mexico are welcome to come.  The course will be open to outside play as soon as they have their big opening event on September 12-13.

I'll send you the contact info for the pro if you e-mail me; for some reason I was unable to send you a message.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2003, 06:54:50 PM »
I talked to Paul Hermsmeyer today and their schedule will allow for TT on thursday the 18th. They'll be getting in around 3 a.m. and I assume they will need some sleep, so I figured late a.m.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2003, 01:56:57 PM »
Ressurecting this one for any latecomers.  ;)

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2003, 07:54:58 PM »
Wanted to bring this thread forward to see if there is anything new on this GCA outing.   Will there be a team match play event?  For the record, I will be at Black Mesa and Pa-ako Ridge but not at Pinon Hills.  I will be looking for a game Monday in Albuqurque.  Anyone with the same schedule, please shoot me an email or IM and we can get something cooked up for Monday.

Looking forward to this a lot, particularly if the weather is dry.  We had 58 days with measurable to significant rain in June and July, and August is 4 for 4.  Rained out Saturday and Sunday, managed 18 holes between the two days.  Does it rain in New Mexico in September?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2003, 10:05:49 PM »
Has any decision been made on accomodations in Farmington?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2003, 08:09:43 AM »
MW- As far as I know there has not been any decisions. I can tell you that there should be no problem and anyone who wants to try priceline the accomodations are pretty basic. The Courtyard by Marriott is probably the nicest but the La Quinta Inn and Holiday Inn are also available. there are two suoer 8's and a Travelodge. Other small ma and pop motels are abundant.

Hope this helps.

Doug Wright

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2003, 10:05:27 AM »
Bill,

Unless you bring it with you rain should not be a problem in the latter part of September in NM. Santa Fe averages only 1.6 inches in September, and in my experience Sept and October are gorgeous months in the Land of Enchantment. If you've not been there I think you'll find NM to be a strikingly beautiful state.

Hope to see you then.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt_Ward

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2003, 12:36:33 PM »
Bill:

You never get 70+ dew point numbers in New Mexico like we have d-a-i-l-y in the beautiful state of NJ at this time of year. Nothing like rain everyday to pick up the spirits. ::)

As Doug indicated the weather in late September should be beautiful.

Can't wait for the boys to weigh in on their comments on Pinon Hills, Black Mesa, Paa-Ko Ridge and all the rest.

FYI -- For those with time I urge you to check the Tamaya & Cheenya nines at Santa Ana -- the Cheenya nine is very good -- especially the closing holes.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2003, 02:27:06 PM »
The Rainy Season (which is spotty rain at best) runs from july through early Sept.  Hence one of the many factors in the trip's dates.  It should be glorious, but now that someone has asked I am unable to guarantee that fact. ;D

Baxter will be posting his discussion itenary (for your feedback) in the near future (He's a little busy).
I haven't finalized the dinner arrangements as of yet for Sat night.  I will need a final head count in the near future.
Chop-chop y'all.

Ran will be starting a post about our planned round table discussion re:  "The future of golf club atlas" (in the near future)

That's the latest.

Cheerio

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2003, 06:31:34 PM »
I thought I'd bring this up one more time.  I finally made my decision on drive or fly, and fly won... ::)

I'm looking for anyone that might be able to blend into this schedule.  I arrive 1Pm Tues 16th ABQ.  I would like to find someone to split a car rental and drive to Amarillo to see Don's place for Wed round, then drive to Lubbock that night (if Doak can hook us up) to play TTU Red Raider Thurs, and then drive part way back to Santa Fe Thurs after round to meet up with main group.  Stay Fri-Sat-Sun at Raddison in SF, commuting to Paa-Ko Sun, return to sleep in SF Sun, going on to Farmington Mon, return ABQ after golf Mon...  

I am staying extra til Wed 24th to explore land of Enchantment, maybe Taos... 8)

I figure if there are any takers, we could split a SUV 3 or 4 ways for the ride to Texas and SF and Farmington...

I know everyone has diverse schedules, but if anyone can or wants to do this schedule, shoot me e-mail.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2003, 08:05:00 PM »
You got to luv our man, I am in for a week, no problem.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2003, 08:20:33 PM »
Mike- I would like to contribute a little something for the dinner on saturday night. Depending on what you have planned it may or may not be appropriate. Can you let me know via email and then I will divulge my secret?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2003, 08:35:24 PM »
Don't bogart that .....my friend.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2003, 09:05:47 AM »
Nothing but dirt in these here parts. No, John this is more closely related to the coneheads, eminating from a province in France

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2003, 01:33:53 PM »
Gentlemen:

I will certainly be most interested in hearing the comments from such a "distinguished group" ;D plays the courses you will find in New Mexico.

How Black Mesa and Paa-Ko Ridge escape their rightful place among the best in the nation simply astounds me.

I just believe there are way too many people who cannot fathom that high quality golf exists in "The Land of Enchantment." It most certainly does.

I look forward to the comments ... with Adam as your guide you are in great hands!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2003, 03:45:48 PM »
Adam I thought so given this is a keep it clean site.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2003, 06:48:05 PM »
I will not be able to make the trip to Pinon Hills as I have an early flight out of ABQ Tuesday morning.  I've therefore made a tee time for Monday 9/22 at 9:32 a.m. for a foursome at Santa Ana GC, two of the three nines.  Please let me know if you'd like to play.  From all reports this is a terrific golf course, and we'll have plenty of time to play all three nines.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2003, 09:49:12 AM »
Bill:

If you head to Santa Ana the only combo worth playing is Tamaya and Cheenya -- the last four holes on Cheenya will certainly settle any bets that day!

One last thing -- if you can arrange an opportunity it might be a good idea to stop by and see Twin Warriors. Even if you can only grab a cart and drive the course it would be worth the time. The entire back side is something to behold.

Twin Warriors is literally 2-3 minutes from the exit of Santa Ana.

Have a grand time ... ;)

THuckaby2

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2003, 04:07:53 PM »
Bringing this back up to the top, given more talk about it.

Note to Mike:  I sent you an email backing out of this - both marital and corporate pressures are strong to stay home.  BUT.. the more I think about it, and the more I continue giving up other golf possibilities, the more this is looking possible again.  Put me on the "maybe" list.  When will you need a definite answer?

BTW, is there any thought to making these real matches?  Though I know many will be there just to look at fine architecture, well.. we will still be playing the game and it's my experience that a little friendly competition makes these things damn fun.  Given you have three "official" rounds (the two on Sat, one on Sun), it would seem to me to be a perfect fit for a mini-Ryder Cup type format.... all match play...

That is, Sat morning is fourbal (better ball of partners, each player playing out his own ball);

Sat afternoon is foursomes (ie alternate shot - this is REALLY fun and would seem to me to be a perfect fit for a 2nd round of the day, after a beer or three);

Sun am is singles matches.

One point for each match, total score wins.

How you divide up the teams, that can go any way.  But whaddya think of this format?

TH

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2003, 09:32:09 AM »
Howdy.

Accomodations at the Raddison must be made by the end of this month to get the group rate.  I requested the deadline be moved from the 19th of Aug, so there will be no exceptions.

I'd like to give the folks at Black Mesa & Paa-Ko a final head count by the same deadline.  They have other small outings planned that they have been scheduling around us.  It may be difficult to add any more individuals.

I am waiting for a final head count to make dinner arrangements on saturday evening (Baxter's Black Mesa presentation and Q&A).

As for Friday the 19th, Baxter and I will be making a visit to Marty Sanchez (one of his designs).  We will definately play the great 28 (par 3 course) in the early evening and would be glad to have any join us.  Please let me know.

Twin Warriors has spotty availability starting after 11:00 am on friday.  They have 2 groups/outings that day.

Baxter will be posting an outline of his presentation this week.

Ran will be posting information on the GCA round table, hopefully soon.

Looking forward to seeing y'all.

And Tom -
There will definately be a competitive/fun spirit to the event.  Once a final head count is determined, we'll be splitting up the teams.
I am hoping for an east / west battle (right now team east vastly out numbers team west??).
I was thinking for our second round at Black Mesa we play a worst ball/shot match ;D (your opponents choose which ball you play from until the entire team makes the final putt)

Cheers

Mike

THuckaby2

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2003, 09:41:26 AM »
MIke:

Gotcha re timing.  I'm gonna make the big case this weekend, and I'll let you know Monday what the verdict is.  I need a good lawyer - know any? There sure aren't any posting on here...  ;)

I love myself.  Rips on two friends at once.  ;D

In any case, re the competition, well... it's your baby so I shall not interfere.  All I'd interject is that given the players on this thing, worst ball could take FOREVER.  We're not all scratches...  ;D  Seriously, I have played it and well.... it isn't a speedy format.

I swear to ya man, foursomes is REALLY fun.  

But ok, I shall stay out of it.  ;D

In any case, note that you will likely have some party-poopers who must play out their own ball (they do exist, they know who they are, they got their way at The King's Putter).  If so, just let them play fourball again.

In any case you have three rounds for sure, which could make for a darn fun overall match... Could this in fact become the first Morrissett Cup?  

East v. West works darn well too.  You just are likely gonna have to draw the dividing line in an interesting place, given the preponderance of players coming from NM westward... but I'm sure it can be done.

TH
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 09:41:51 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back