News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Re:GCA's Land of Enchantment Get Together - Update
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2003, 03:07:29 PM »
RJ,
   I'm sneaky short.  ;)  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Cheers,
Brad

Doug Wright

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2003, 05:09:07 PM »

Unfortunately, New Mexico is thought of by too many people as simply an extension of Mexico.

Matt, That's a classic...If I were Pat Mucci, which I'm not, I'd ask you for some FACTS behind that statement...

But I understand where you're coming from. We here in Colorado think that Texas is simply and extension of Mexico. ;)

All The Best,  
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Steve Lang

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2003, 08:33:52 AM »
 :D

colorado folks ... y'all don't like texans do you, but then you do like us more than new yorkers!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2003, 09:30:51 AM »
Shivas- Simple, join the festivities NOW. Jump in a plane rent a car and just do it. My life is one long land of enchantment golfapalooza(tm). It will be a fraction of the cost of probably any golf trip you've ever taken. Plus, you can come back on here and scoff in the face of those that haven't seen all the courses worthy of comment. Maybe Matt Ward can give you some tips on how to cover 87 courses in three days on the road. ;D

I'm here for you brother. Come on down.

Doug Wright

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2003, 10:14:35 AM »
Steve,

Ya got that right pardner!  ;D ;D

See you next month, right?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2003, 12:52:44 PM »
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez: If one cannot stand New Yaawkers I can only imagine how you might react to Juuuurseee people! ;D ;D ;D

Shivas:

My good man -- be a hero and join in with Adam. You're mssing too much by standing still my good man! I hear Black Mesa calling out your name ...

admin

« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2003, 04:21:45 PM »
this is test

JohnV

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2003, 04:23:11 PM »
By the way, it was on this day (8/22) in 1846 that the United States annexed New Mexico.

Looking forward to going back there.  It seemed like a very nice place the last time I was there.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2003, 04:41:32 PM »
Just a note to those who play Black Mesa. The 1st hole there requires a carry over a hill that cuts into the 1st fairway (your line of sight) and it can be quite intimidating with the first blow of the day.

A media guy I know hates the holes because he thinks such an inclusion is sooooooooooo unafir. I think he's nuts because if you play the proper tee box the carry isn't that much of an issue provided you strike the shot correctrly. What amazes me is that people will say thinks like this about an American course but if such an inclusion were at a Irish or Scottish course you'd have people tripping over themselves saying how marvelous the hole plays with such an added element.

I usually play the hole from the tips with a 1-iron and then it's usually nothing more than a PW or hard SW. The green is quite good and if you get above the hole it can be quite tough for the two-putt.

The 1st at Black Mesa is just one of several mid-length par-4's that architect Baxter Spann has successfully created at the facility. The 1st is more eye-terror and if you in fact are intimidated then the architect has clearly achieved his ultimate goal.

Steve Lang

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2003, 10:25:42 PM »
 ;D

Shivas, all I can say is just do it!

Doug,  We're definitely heading to the GCA LoEGT..  its just plans and logistics spiced with whatever works..

Ms Sheila & I are stoked.. looking forward to compare NM to MIchigan golf favorites like Kingsley, Black Forest, Highpointe, GrandView, Dunmaglas, and our TX offerings and finally now Carlton Woods here in the Woodlands..

We got really cheap flights on Southwest, like 80$ each way from Houston..

We're saving a little ($65) by staying at the Marriot Courtyard for three nights, but will definitely take in post-play dinner and discussions on Sat & Sun.. till we sneak away..

We're gonna fly into ABQ thurs and play PK ridge on Thursday PM with a friend

We're going to try two other venues on Friday.. undecided as of yet..

We're gonna do the LoEGT venues.. taking pics..

We're gonna stay sunday night at airport, so we can sleep in..fly back on Monday AM and hit Pappasitos for lunch and probably go for an emergency 9-18 and finally a dunk in the cement pond to cool down.  I can rest at work Tues..

If Matt Ward will keep lobbing out local knowledge tips, we'll have a chance..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 10:29:19 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Doug Wright

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2003, 12:02:37 AM »
Steve,

Pay no attention to what Matt Ward says. He plays a game with which few mortals are familiar.. :D And he HATES QUIRK!

All The BEst,

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2003, 09:22:22 AM »
There's a flag on top of the hill you must carry on #1 to point the line(from back tees). The fairway widens on the unseen rightside and then narrows as you approach the 100 yd range. The left is junk and if found, can only be classified as "mostly dead". One of those easy opening shots that on your virgin swing can appear quite intimadating. 385,339,311 and 287 from the forward green tees. The second is a par 4 404,373,343 & 340. The par 5 3rd is an interesting hole with a key decision for your second. Along with a swooping(canted) runway that could serve as a corner in nascar. The green is wide but not very deep and moves hard to the right. Back bunker will probably see alot of action with short appearing nasty. 603,584,574 & 549. The fourth is the first of a wonderful set of one shotters all with amazing backdrops. I found them to be slightly decieving as to yardage but with the bounce of the ball any mis-calc is quickly forgotten. Missing in the right spots is crucial on this course.203,174,162 & 149

That should be enough for now.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2003, 01:19:21 PM »
Steve:

Just keep this in mind my good buddy -- when you play the 10th hole at Black Mesa aim your tee shot directly over the directional bunker on the left. If you push the tee shot just a tad too far right you'll be on the hillside -- otherwise known as "DEADSVILLE!" The more you can fight the impulse to bail out right the better you'll be as there is a turbo boost on the left side after you clear the bunker. Plus -- all approaches have a better angle from that side of the fairway.

On the par-3 11th the hole keeps climbing uphill and from the tips it lists as only 172 yards! Trust me -- most people need two more clubs than they would normally hit.

One last thing for now -- the final hole at Black Mesa is very clever dog-leg right of roughly 430 yards. When you stand on the tee you think you can carry a good junk of it with your tee shot. Fight the impulse!!!

Hit nothing more than 240-250 yards to set a mid-iron to the green which is wondefully contoured (check out the most natural looking bunker on the left side of the green that's west of Sand Hills!). If you decide to play the Palmer role and try to cut too much off the dog-leg it will simply disappear in a trench designed specifically for golfers who want to play the role of hero. As Patton said -- there's only dead ones!

E-n-j-o-y!

Brad Swanson

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2003, 02:23:20 PM »
Man I'm, getting worried.  If the tips are a length that challenges Matt Ward, will I have any hope in reaching any of the greens in regulation +1 (or +2)?  Perhaps I should bring my skirts and play from the red tees.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson

Doug Wright

« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2003, 02:26:35 PM »
Perhaps I should bring my skirts and play from the red tees.

Hey Brad, whatever you like, though I suspect you'll be playing alone... ;D

Steve Lang

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2003, 07:11:06 PM »
 :D

definitely, cause Sheila will be playing from the white tees..
The voice of Inverness"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2003, 01:41:38 PM »
What makes Black Mesa exciting is that Baxter Spann designed several strategic options for every hole. You don't have to go with the most daring play but if you opt out and decide to make a mor eprudent course you will be asked to "up the ante" with the next shot.

A very smart hole is the 12th at 403 yards. From the tips which are located on a tiny ledge way above the fairway you see the entire hole. The hole moves slightly to the left and you can attempt (if strong enough) to carry the deepest fairway bunker and leave nothing more than a flip wegde to the green. However --

If you should pull it left and land in the bunker you will need a good recovery. If you push it too far right you can go through the fairway and have an uneven lie to a green that's neatly protected on the right side. In fact -- the smart play is to simply hit it about 230-250 yards and leave yourself a short iron.

Even more strategy comes into play on the 14th -- plays 389 yards from the tips (see blackmesagolf.com for actual picture in teh golf course section). The hole is a dog-leg which features a natural mound that has sand in front of it and high grass that sweeps the top half. You can play aggressively and go right over this area (a carry of about 250 yards) or you can take the safe route and play short. If you play short you will left in most instances with a blind approach -- what's fair is fair!

If you should not make it over with the daring tee shot then the problems really start to mount as getting a lie in Black Mesa's version of "hell's half acre" is never ensured.

The green is also well protected and when the pin is pushed to the deep far left you must gauge the appropriate distance and have the loft calculated to land softly.

It's easy for architects to design long par-4's because the distance factor is always an issue for most golfers. Designing mid-length par-4's that have character no matter how many times you play them is a much more demanding exercise.

For the folks who playBlack Mesa I urge you to pay heed when playing these holes. Many might think they are easy prey for quick birdies -- the more likely result will be you the golfer will be preyed upon unless the right choices and exection are carried out.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2003, 11:43:09 AM »
Farmington Lodging:
Per Adam's suggestion:
http://www.marriott.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=FMNCY
Courtyard Marriot.
About $90 plus or minus any AAA or other discount.

If interested they do have a golf package.
$180 for 2 people in one room including a golf basket, golf and cart at Pinon and breakfast and 2 drinks?  They had better be 100% agave and with breakfast!

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 11:45:08 AM by Mike_Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2003, 01:07:36 PM »
The courtyard is the nicest in town(that ive seen) but there are plenty of alternatives at half the price. La Quinta Inn, Motels galore.

There is nothing officially planned for sunday. It was originally discussed that we'd leave Paa Ko and get to Farmington with enough daylight to see Riverview's Back. With 10 o'clock times at Paako(is that right?) I highly doubt we'll make it. My friend played there two saturdays ago and it was...it was ...hold your hat...Six hours twenty. And thats with the carts off the path. Yikes!  

Steve Lang

« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2003, 01:24:11 PM »
 :o

Was everyone taking pics those days?

That's why we're not rushing away after PK Ridge.. maybe even an emergency 9?
The voice of Inverness"

ed_getka

« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2003, 01:57:52 PM »
Have a great time guys, I wish I could be there. Kudos to Mike Nuzzo for helping put this together for everyone.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back