News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Christensen

Feherty Interview on ESPN Today...
« on: June 21, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »
He mentioned that Carnoustie is the harderst course on the planet....even without any rough.  Is this 1999 setup or normal setup?  I only walked it this year, but I guess from championship tees it is a tough road to hoe.  Is this another major guaranteed to play over par this year?

Jim Sweeney

Re:Feherty Interview on ESPN Today...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »
Mike:

It all depends, of course, on the wind. No wind, under par is almost a certainty. Lots of wind, all bets are off. In that condition it will indeed be a very tough row to hoe.

Carnoustie has been very dry this year and so to date the rough is nowhere near as penal as '99, it has been reported.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 08:38:15 PM »
I played Carnoustie from the "tourist tees" a few months after Van de Velde and broke 90 while carrying 18 handicap. I kicked his arse on the 18th hole...:-)

The place is not a big deal if the wind don't blow.

Bethpage Black is MUCH tougher.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:35:02 AM »
"I only walked it this year, but I guess from championship tees it is a tough road to hoe.

MichaelC:

Does one hoe a road or hoe a row?  

Personally, I'd rather hoe a row---it'd probably be a bit easier on the hands and arms. ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 07:37:24 AM by TEPaul »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:11:45 AM »
I played Carnoustie from the "tourist tees" a few months after Van de Velde and broke 90 while carrying 18 handicap. I kicked his arse on the 18th hole...:-)

The place is not a big deal if the wind don't blow.

Bethpage Black is MUCH tougher.

The course plays a bit longer (7,421 yds this year) for Van De Velde and the guys, compared to the tee's that mortals like you and me play.

You probably noticed when you were there, but some of the championship tee's are placed waaaay back (close to the suburbs of Dundee...). Some of the fairways will be quite tight when the course is set up for The Open, so wind or no wind. A missed fairway might result in a nasty lie in the thick stuff.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
Come on Tom, where's your sense of challange? ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »
"I only walked it this year, but I guess from championship tees it is a tough road to hoe.

MichaelC:

Personally, I'd rather hoe a row---it'd probably be a bit easier on the hands and arms. ;)

Michael's point is to show you just how hard that course is.  Not only as tough as a row.  As tough as a road.  As you pointed out, that's really hard.  

You usually pick up on these kinds of things, Tom.  

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »

MichaelC:

I'd rather row a hoe!

Michael Christensen

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »
I guess it should have been "a hard road to hoe"....being a novice in the english language compared to high finance and quantum physics, I apologize!

I realize if the wind blows, all bets are off.  If slight winds/weather, will Woods be able to iron himself around the place ala Hoylake?  It would be nice to see him have to hit driver on some holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back