News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Let's Review The Reviewers - Joe versus Ran
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »
At the end of the day, I like playing new fun/tough/great/unique/quaint golf courses, and Ran and his reviews is probably what drew many to the website. However there is a new kid in town and I do find Joe Top 100 (plus a few more) to be an interesting read.

Joe's reviews:

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Ran's reviews (and a little John and Ben?)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/COURSES_BY_COUNTRY.html

I enjoy both, but this is GCA.com so let's dig a little deeper.

Obviously Ran does a better job with photography and having the course "tell its story" to the reader. It is said that there are no negative reviews because he simply will not write up a bad review and instead keeps it to himself. Of course, after a Ran visit and no write-up, there are many rumors! Ran does not talk much about "the club", he is focused on the course.

Joe drinks the juice and seems to buy into all of the local lore surrounding a course and the club. However, he goes the other way too where that cop at the Fishers ferry will arrest you if you don't have a couple of relatives buried on Fishers. :D However, his finding (hopefully accurate) that Trump and Sebonack use the same PR firm is interesting.

In the era of Google Earth, both need to add aerials with the routings to their reviews.

Thoughts from the treehouse???
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:56:38 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Let's Review The Reviewers - Joe versus Ran
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
Mike,
I guess it depends on which you prefer, letting the course 'tell it's story' or getting it via the Blahblahmeblahblahmeblahhblogosphere.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »
Has anyone confirmed the identity of Joe?

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
No on Joe, but apparently the cognescenti know who Hammy is on the Sanctuary thread.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:43:29 PM »
Has anyone confirmed the identity of Joe?

Joe Top 100:  I have been getting feedback from my readers accusing me of being a golf snob. I can assure you my dear fans, that nothing is further from the truth. I learned to play the game playing on municipal courses, waiting for long stretches on tee boxes and without any of the perks and thrills that these elite courses offer. I can also assure you that I could not join Sebonack even if I was invited to, which I have not been. I have perfected the art of networking and have an unflappable determination to play all the world's top courses; in many cases, simply by asking the right people. I may be a pompous charlatan, but I am not a snob.

Sound familiar? I wonder... could it be???

David Tepper,

Rather than demonstrate your ignorance about me, why don't you speak to those who have played with me to see if I would fit into your category of a "private club snob"

I grew up playing Essex County West, Ferncliff and other municipal courses when I wasn't sneaking on to Montclair.

The fact remains that golfers like to play against each other, and, to do so, they need a handicap to level the playing field.

That's not snobery, that's common sense, something you lack.

Close... but, no cigar. ;)

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »
We have discussed said blogger before.  And Ran's reviews are architectual where Joe is reviewing, well, anything about the club and course ...

Here is an excerpt of his ramblings in regards to SFGC:

Especially compared to nearby Olympic Club (#39 in the world), San Francisco shines. We find the Olympic Lake course to be near-impossible to play for a non-scratch player. The trees are grown in too tight, it is built on the side of a mountain and the greens are too fast. It is hard to get an even lie. You have to be able to hit a draw and a fade at will. Personally, we don't have the ability to fade a two iron and land it softly on the green. Beyond that, we find Olympic, like its California neighbor to the south Riviera to be too large and corporate and lacking the charm of San Francisco. It doesn't have a clubby feel given the size of its membership with two courses. It feels more like an athletic club. (Ed: Olympic IS an athletic club and has been since 1860).  San Francisco, on the other hand just feels privileged and more genuine.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Mike,

The good news is, you've got him on a LakeTM violation.

Mark

Billsteele

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »
Mike-Isn't the real question: If you had ten reviews to read split between Ran and Joe...

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 04:18:48 PM »
Mike-Isn't the real question: If you had ten reviews to read split between Ran and Joe...

Bill,

Perhaps we should file one of the TM's on it!!

Mike W.,

One thing is for sure, Top 100 Joe is not Patrick. There is NO WAY Pat Mucci is sitting still on a flight to South Africa for 16 hours!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 04:30:33 PM »
I'll have to read a little of Joe.  

I don't read Ran much any more as I pretty much know that he is "Will Rogers" when it comes to reviews. I know his biases and see no reason to prejudice  or pre-opine an opinion of my own.

"Joe" is probably just another "Joe". I know his grammar needs a LOT of work, I'd hate to be his editor.

Maybe he's Matt Ward, I'll have to read up .....

(I read a little!)

I know he's not Cary. I know he's not Rhic. I know it's not Cirba.  I know it's not MacWood. He's not the Emperor.

He is not, however the redanman.

I definitely know he's a belt-notcher, big time.

Bill:

Correct, he is not me, I grew up in Chicago.

I don't think he's Matt Ward, Matt doesn't have his humility nor does he use the word Mula, which Matt always does.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »
Are y'all saying this guy is a pseudonym, or have you not been paying attention? link

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
I have found his reviews to have no backbone or meaning.  Its basically a guy with money following golf courses.  

Ran seems to be on the forefront.  I'm not sure if I enjoy Rans writing or his insights but they are very rich and well thought out.  Not having played with Ran I understand his eye is amazing since he doesn't appear to study the golf course as he plays.  (Somebody can correct me if they please).

Nuff said.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 11:40:30 PM »
Mike W.,

One thing is for sure, Top 100 Joe is not Patrick. There is NO WAY Pat Mucci is sitting still on a flight to South Africa for 16 hours!

I know its not Patrick... I'm just joshing.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 05:56:39 AM »
Are y'all saying this guy is a pseudonym, or have you not been paying attention? link

Mark,

Top 100 Joe actually says it:

"I have chosen to keep my identity confidential so I can be honest about each course without offending any member who graciously hosts me. A chance to look behind the scenes into some of the most private clubs in the world. I post roughly every two weeks."

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »
If I start reading Ran's reviews, I can't seem to stop. If I start reading Joe's reviews, I can't seem to keep going. Joe does have some decent pictures.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 07:33:31 AM »
Easy - Ran provides the best architectural reviews available.

I had no idea how great his reviews are until I tried writing a "My Home Course" in his style.  I'm up to hole 8.  It's darn tough.

Ran even makes Walnut Lane (Findlay), a Philly muni look interesting.  He can see through the trappings, good or bad, to see the architecture underneath.

'Joe' gives a sense of the day at the reviewed course.  But it's certainly not anything that really speaks to the architecture witnessed.

They both have their place becuase they serve quite different purposes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 07:36:42 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back