News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Adam Clayman

Re:Erin Hills- US Open- 2017?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »
Jason, No, I have not been to EH.

I believe it was the fact that the USGA became interested prior to construction that leads to my question. Plus, it is ten years off, and, after watching Tiger and Angel rip it nearly 400 yards in this years showcase, I think they are fully aware of how quickly the future is arriving. Throw in some of Mr. Whitten's recent comments on reigning in distance and voilla! conjecture on my part.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 05:50:04 PM »
Coursewise, I heard something kinda interesting when I was there last month.  There has been some talk (whatever that means) to change a couple of holes. For those who have been there:

Combine 3 and 4 into a long par 4, using the same 4 green location (dont know about bunkering).  Some clearing would have to take place, but it would turn the weakest hole on the course into a very good one.  Create a new 200+ yard downhill par three from #5's tee box down towards the open land right of 4 that everyone talks about putting a new nine in on.  5 would then be a Par five with a similar tee shot to the original #8 on Perry's nine hole course (now 17, which has a totally different teeing area).  7 would be converted into a 500 yard par 4 and voila, you have a 7000+ par 70 golf course.

I really hope they don't do any of that.  The new nine sounds very interesting but that's the first I've heard of it.  Forget changing the routing . . . please just put in some cabins! ;D  I'm kinda tired of the Comfort Inn with its cheesy hot tub in the lobby that I've yet to see anyone use.

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 06:02:05 PM »
Phil, my dear friend and fellow Cheesehead--

That's twice now I've seen you offer up the popular myth that the PGA pulled the 2010 event from Sahalee because of the (made for public consumption) excuse of the concern over corporate sponsorship from the 2010 Olympics...

I can assure you that, in fact, it was much more the other way around, that when the opportunity to lock in Whistling Straits and "get in bed" with Herb Kohler came around, the PGA fairly suddenly found a way to all of a sudden become very concerned with the idea of limited corporate sponsorships...

Think for a minute about the fact that we're talking about separate countries, separate sporting communities, separate business climates and the fact that the 2010 Olympics precedes the (much smaller) PGA event by 7 months!

Now add in the fact that there was no "make good" assignment of a later PGA to Sahalee, the USGA jumped in with their own event at Sahalee (2010 Senior Open--I guess they're not too concerned about the corporate sponsorships!) and the fact that the membership at Sahalee was more or less blindsided by the decision...

Sorry, can't give Herb credit for sailing in and bailing out the PGA on this one--the mechanics of the deal were all over this.  Herb and the PGA together squeezed Sahalee out of the 2010 PGA.

Your friend, the displaced Cheesehead in the NW!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:04:38 PM by Peter_Herreid »

Sean Leary

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
Coursewise, I heard something kinda interesting when I was there last month.  There has been some talk (whatever that means) to change a couple of holes. For those who have been there:

Combine 3 and 4 into a long par 4, using the same 4 green location (dont know about bunkering).  Some clearing would have to take place, but it would turn the weakest hole on the course into a very good one.  Create a new 200+ yard downhill par three from #5's tee box down towards the open land right of 4 that everyone talks about putting a new nine in on.  5 would then be a Par five with a similar tee shot to the original #8 on Perry's nine hole course (now 17, which has a totally different teeing area).  7 would be converted into a 500 yard par 4 and voila, you have a 7000+ par 70 golf course.

I really hope they don't do any of that.  The new nine sounds very interesting but that's the first I've heard of it.  Forget changing the routing . . . please just put in some cabins! ;D  I'm kinda tired of the Comfort Inn with its cheesy hot tub in the lobby that I've yet to see anyone use.

Jason,

You have to stay at the Hampton Inn, or as I call it the "Ritz Carlton Hutchinson".  ;) It is actually really quite nice.

Cabins would make it one of the best places on the planet, not just one of the best courses. I wish they would do it too.

My initial thought on the change was no too until I actually looked at it.  It is sorta interesting, as 3,4,5 is arguably the worst stretch on the course (although they aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination)

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 10:36:41 PM »
My initial thought on the change was no too until I actually looked at it.  It is sorta interesting, as 3,4,5 is arguably the worst stretch on the course (although they aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination)

I actually think 3-5 is strong, routing wise as it forms a circle around a huge dune and gets you back to the 6th tee, the same dune that 2 green is benched into.   Also, trying to drive the front of 3 green downwind is a blast!

brad_miller

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »
An additional 9 holes has long been talked about. I believe even Doak mentions such in Confidential Guide. My understanding is C&C looked at it a few years back but didn't feel it could live up to the existing holes. That said the re routing work talked about regarding 3-5 is newer. There may be evidence that this was Maxwell's oringinal plan. Thankfully with C&C (and Dave Axland) as consulting architects one can feel comfortable nothing would be done that wouldn't be a home run. A new number 3 could rival number 8 only missing the huge fairway waves. Four is a fine whole but many feel it much like number 2 and a different angle to a now short par 5 number 5 would be great. I wouldn't mind seeing that new tee done even if nothing else was done. To me the key is finding the new par 3 number 4.

Maybe Chris C will respond. Cabins would be great and I believe the huge parcel of land owned nearby Prairie dunes may now be for sale. One other Hutch piece of news is how bad Cottenwood Hills, the Faldo project is.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:08:04 PM by brad_miller »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
Brad, Sean and Peter,

That is exactly what the original front nine was to be like at Prairie Dunes.  And the reasons for it not happening were pretty similar to what was relayed earlier in this thread.  Actually I believe I mentioned this on a thread a couple of years ago and it got some ridicule at the time.  Hmm, guess it wasn't so crazy.   ::)

I would be all in favor of this change in the holes.

Anyway, as for an additional nine holes, I think the vast area to the north of nine and west of the eleventh could hold an infinite number of possibilities.  I never understood why Press took the course over the section of the site that he did when much more interesting terrain was available.  Perhaps he was gunshy after having issues on the front side and took the "easy" route.  

And yes, the Hampton is the only way to go when you get to Hutchinson.  Adding cabins would make it seem too much like a resort instead of the unique visit it should be.  

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:44:15 AM by Chris_Clouser »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »
Is Prairie Dunes too remote for the U.S. Open?  

PD has lots of rough, doesn't it?  Is that necessary for the course to challenge the world's best?  Would they have to set up the course like they did Oakmont, or could it play wide and still play tough?  

I guess some other questions might include weather and wind in mid June.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
Jim,

I really would think it is too remote to host a US Open, but it seemed to do well with the Senior and Women's events.  Perhaps they could figure out a way to do it.  

As for difficulty, if the changes mentioned earlier occur, I think they could easily contest it there.  With short par fives like 7 and 17 the winning score will likely be below par, but is that really a consideration?  Also I could see holes 12, 13 and 14 getting eaten alive by the pros.

But I could provide some suggestions on how to mitigate that on 13.

They might grow the rough just a bit, but I would hope they would leave it alone for the most part and let the merits of the course speak for themselves.  I think the course is tight enough that they wouldn't need to do a lot conditioning wise.  But all of this only matters if the wind blows.  If it doesn't that seriously takes some of the difficulty out of the equation at PD.      
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:40:54 AM by Chris_Clouser »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:06 AM »
I too think it far to soon for Erin Hills to be in this loop or discussion. It is a solid course with upside. However it is not even fully grown in

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back