News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re:Tribute to Pete and Alice Dye
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
Understated elegance seems to fit for a theme.

Perhaps you could cramp each seating with some form of water hazard?
 ;D

A D-4 might also be appropriate? (Was that the model he used on his backyard to learn how to move dirt?)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Shimp

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 08:41:23 AM »
Honors Course may be worth including.  A top 100 in almost every list.  Real quality architecture and green and surrounds maintenance.   Also a really tough construction project.  It is my favorite Dye course.

Brian Joines

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 09:26:35 AM »
Consider doing a section on Dye employees who have gone on to successful architectural careers. Those people are part of their legacy.

I know Doak worked for him.  Who else?

Tim Liddy quickly comes to mind. He's done some great stuff around my area (Indiana)

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »
Here's what I have so far.  Any refinement?

Dye’s Tribute Themes

·   Playing accomplishments of the Dyes.  Not only are they world class architects, they know about playing competitive golf.

·   Struggling during the early years – from insurance salesman to course designer -- First course – Country Club of Indianapolis

·   Pete's hands-on approach to building courses.

·   How Pete and Alice borrowed ideas from abroad that were incorporated into their courses and design style, i.e. Prestwick – "The Innovative Traditionalist"

·   Ocean Course and the environment (recirculation the irrigation water, Audubon)

·   1991 Ryder Cup

·   Building challenges of The Ocean Course (i.e. post Hugo)

·   Alice’s impact on par 3s and elevating fairways

·   Distinctive features of Dye Courses—Railway ties, pot bunkers, etc.

·   Major impact of Harbour Town, Long Cove – "Bridging Designs" i.e. from traditional to modern

·   Crooked Stick – First Major Championship

·   Top foreign courses – Teeth of the Dog

·   Stadium Courses – Sawgrass and PGA West

·   Architects that have come out of his “stable” – Doak, Coore

·   University courses –Purdue University (others?)

·   Top private courses

·   Top public courses

·   Magazine rankings of his courses

·   Whistling Straits and the PGA Championship

·   Work donated

·   Dye kids take a stab at architecture

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
university courses: va tech, one of the oklahoma ones i think and maybe karsten?

John Shimp

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »
Mike,
Looks like a good list.  I'm not sure what you mean by "bridging designs from traditional to modern"?  I would argue that Dye went from Modern/Penal ala Trent back to
traditional of a sort.  Is that what you mean?  Look at "The Golf Club" writeup if you disagree.
JS

ChipRoyce

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 05:49:52 PM »
Mike,
   I think an area that demonstrates how Pete and Alice borrowed ideas from abroad that were incorporated into their courses and design style.
   Also showing Pete's hands-on approach to building courses would be good.

Ed;
I like that idea. In fact, could be neat to mimic the 'Bunker Bar' at Bandon. Imagine a display that has a photo of a classic course feature on the left and then to the right, Pete & Alice's interpretation in a modern context?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »
I think you might get details of loads of "Pete-isms" in three catagories:

1.  Course details and designs (sleepers, pots, harbor town icon, boxcar bridge, etc.)

2.  Quotes (these should be easy to get!!)

3.  Contributions (Alice's work to get womens yardage/tees appropriate, the family's many Protégés [people who worked for Dyes], and their work on behalf of ASGCA)

These could all be like-framed, perhaps 12x12 inches, and in photo format. They would be easy to see and communicate quickly about the legacy.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tony Ristola

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »
Construction photos.
A computer screen with them commenting about their various courses.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:23:16 AM by Tony Ristola »

JWL

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »
Mike

It has been mentioned already, sort of, but I was thinking that it might be a nice display in the clubhouse to have the Pete Dye tree displayed.   I believe that you can find the latest version of that in the Architects of Golf.

I would think that that display might be an interesting read by visitors to the facility.   Just my .02.

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 12:28:38 PM »
university courses: va tech, one of the oklahoma ones i think and maybe karsten?

The first 18-hole design he ever did was Radrick Farms, the University of Michigan alumni course.

Norbert P

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
Any benches could be made out of railroad ties......

The creosote may bleed into the unsuspecting Dockers and Pringle-clad.  Not the "Dye" impression I think their wanting, eh?  

Mike V., if you want a great personal story of the Dye's, the tome written by Andrew Coogan is a charmer.  It is in Paul Daley's Worldwide Perspective of Golf - Volume 3.  Lucky as I have been, I got to hear the story from Andy, complete with Scottish accent and true venerable emotions toward the Dye's, during dinner while in Barnbougle last year.  Fascinating on many levels.  I (We?) tend to forget that these "celebrities" are human before they become personalities of their professions.  

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back