News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Report from the Heathlands Aug 2002
« on: August 31, 2002, 03:28:13 PM »
I have just returned from a visit to the Heathland belt of London and played:

Swinley Forest
Woking
St. George's Hill
Woking
West Sussex
Sunningdale Old

For those of you who want to play firm and fast and have each hole pique your interest I would book a ticket to London.  Go to Waterloo Station and then get the train to Woking.  Without an irrigation system that almost cost them their fairways a few years ago, Woking is just that right shade of green and brown which makes it play considerably shorter than its 6400 yards but oh so fun.  The greens putted as well as any of the above courses running about 9 or 10 on the stimp and really made for a challenge as every approach had to be bumped up to the pins.  A well struck ball with backspin that was pitched had a chance to stay on the greens but you really had to have Tiger-esque height making instead  for lots of runup 7 and 8 irons.

The 4th at Woking was a bit different than I remember it.  This is the hole with the principal nose bunkers about 230 yds right down the line of play.  Before when I played the hole you had three choices depending upon your game.  You could drive right of the bunkers (making for an easy runup shot of 100yds if the pin is front), you could layup before the bunkers with an iron and thus have a longer iron into the green or drive long and left of them.  This last option is now penalized as the course has grown rough there and removed that option.  Speaking to the head pro after he did not seem to approve of the rough being put up as well.  Why remove optionality?

Swinley Forest-This was my second trip here and I must say it was even more magical and glorious than the first.  First to arrive at a course of this magnitude and have it all to yourself in its regal setting is a joy I can only liken to playing Cypress Point and being first out.  The heather was in full bloom which made the setting the finest of all heathland courses but the playing characteristics were not as firm and fast as Woking. In fact the greens were the slowest of all I encountered on the heath.  Probably running about a 5 which made them confounding.  I guess I am just so used to American fast greens like I have at my home club.  There have been a few changes I noticed at Swinley.  First the redanish par 3 4th is having its green redone and the front of the green is being lifted up.  The work has just been done and how it will change the playing characteristics remains to be seen for another visit.  There have also been trees cleared from the backdrop of the wonderful par 3 8th.  This was NOT the club's idea but I believe a local developer who is working on property ajacent to the hole.  There also seems to be a new bunker approx. 230yds on the left side of #18.  While still maturing, it just doesnt look right on the hole as its shaping is out of character despite some heather growing on top of it giving it a decent look.

The best part of Swinley remains the vistas.  They are as inspring as any in golf especially when the heather is that distinctive shade of purple set against the sun setting on an August night.  My favorite vista on the course remains the one up the 6th and 7th holes.  I have never seen but pictures of Pine Valley but a round at Swinley will look awfully PVish in spots.  A few other observations: I believe Ran thinks the 1st at SF is the weakest link on the course.  I must take some exception though as it has one of the best greens on the course.  Colt built some great falloffs, most notably in the front.  The par 4 9th also surprised me as it was much stronger than I remember and has become one of my favorite par 4s on the heath.

St. Georges Hill-Doak believes this is the best of the heath.  While I could sing this course's praises til I am blue in the face, I cannot concur.  Oh sure it has the best 1st and 10th holes you will ever see.  The 1st being uphill over a valley to a fanastic green that sits in a saddle with a massive hump of heather to its right and no bailout room left and the 10th a semi Alps hole with a fantastic ridge blocking out a mid iron second shot to all but the best placed tee shots with a tier separating a very large and hard to read green.  And the par 3s, well many have seen pictures in Doak's book of the all world 8th (in the club house are magnificent pictures of what the hole looked like years ago) and the wee pitch 11th to a green that sits on a knob is also spectacular.  So where am I going with this.  I love St. George's Hill..the holes are all solid, the expanse of the course and vistas wonderful but for some reason that I can't put my finger on it is not my favorite on the heath.  It played the slowest of the heathland courses as it is irrigated and had the best conditioning except for Sunningdale.  Still, I found myself mid way thru the round wishing I was playing Woking.  Maybe it is just the cunning-ness of that layout which I hold superior.

West Sussex-To an unbiased eye this could be the best heathland course although it lies 60 miles south and abuts the South Downs.  At West Sussex, the heather is the most abundant, the sand whiter and the course has everything but a strong par 5.  Of all the heathland courses this one had the right temperature porridge.  It played hard and fast, the vistas where magnificent, the greens challenging and the strategy abundant.  There are some great holes here: the back to back par 3s #5 and 6 as well as the wonderful green complexes at #13 and #16 (sitting in an amazing natural setting-see Ran's writeup) that may be the best on the heath.  West Sussex is simply a must see on any heathland tour.

Sunningdale Old-nothing new here.  Great conditions, great greens and good fun.  Playing the bottle hole (the 12th) a second time makes me realize how all world of a par 4 it is.  Play this hole and compare it to NGLA's and I think unlike the redan you will find this superior.  The greens at Sunningdale putt the most American-style of any course I have played in the UK.

So overall a magnificent trip.  If you want firm, fast and fun, head to Woking.  If you want sweeping vistas, beauty, and a course to yourself head to Swinley Forest (if you can get in!).  If you want a hidden gem that I think may secretly be the best, head over to West Sussex.  And if you want to play 27 holes without an indifferent one among them (and see some 5 million quid homes) head over to St. George's Hill.
If you want a classic top 50 course go over to Sunningdale and count the Bentley's in the parking lot on your way to the first tee.  I missed the Addington on this trip which I also adore.  There have been some changes to the course I understand that have been highlighted here.

I also saw but did not play the Burma Road (Wentworth West).  I am in no rush though, the course has little heather and does not look as fun to play as its peers.  It almost looks like it has been american-ized.

For an inland golf tour you can't really beat London.  All of the courses are a train and short cab ride away.  I hope to see if the Sandbelt down in Oz compares to the heath in 2 months. Stay tuned.

NAF
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

George Pazin

Re: Report from the Heathlands Aug 2002
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2002, 03:36:02 PM »
Thanks for the writeup, Noel - I always enjoy your thoughts & look forward to hearing more about the Sandbelt in a couple months.

Do they still do the tweaking at Woking that Darwin wrote about, or is that all done?

My only thought on adding the rough is that they must have felt a carry of that length was too easy with today's technology. Doesn't mean I agree with it, just that that's what I would guess their logic is. In keeping with Darwin's story, I would have added another bunker somewhere long & left to keep 'em thinking.  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

NAF

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2002, 03:43:14 PM »
George,

the only change I saw to Woking was the growing in of the rough on #4.  I don't think the course has any more Paton and Low's running it anymore so it will be hard to change it from here.  One of the things I like most about Woking are the first hole (which under the playing conditions was drivable with a 3 wood) at 280 yards.  It is always nice to have an intro hole like this because you can make par and you will need it because #2 is a tough par 3.  The other thing I love about Woking is the 14th which Ran wrote about only being a few paces from the clubhouse bar.  Besides being a great green complex having the members watch you putt adds extra incentive.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 03:53:09 PM »
Do the heathland courses suffer from the overtreeing problem that we seem to have over here?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sandy Barrens Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 07:47:44 PM »
NAF, Did you happen to check out a little known but very affluent place called "Northwood" where exists* one of the more respected golf holes from the Victorian era?

(Or used to exist)

There better be pictures in your luggage of this hole, or your picking-up the check @ Peter Luger's in October!:)

Paul Turner

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 03:40:16 AM »
Noel

Nice trip, but no new courses?  You must be slipping!  I though RT might have dragged you to Camberley Heath?  If you have any pics, I can post them for you.

I hear that the work on the 4th at Swinley is just for some minor subsidence. (hope it's nothing like the 14th redo at your home course!).

Woking was struggling to keep its heather when I was there- really very little on the first few and last few holes.  They were planting some, notably on the 6th and around some bunker faces.

Sunningdale, the 12th.  That green was originally not on that small knoll, it was short of it.  It was moved there when Colt was the club secretary; with the bunkers, I think it makes the hole.  Also, Colt put a bunker slap bang in the middle of the par 3 13th green, I think the hole would be much stronger with it back.  I don't think it lasted long, the members called it "Colt's Po"!

I'll have to get to St Georges Hill to settle this debate vs Swinley.

I've seen old photos of Wentworth (still don't know where that bunker/green shaped like Britain was) and it's a real shame the courses have become parkland.  The 11th on the East is a celebrated hole, which I want to see one day.

You're are dead right about getting the train to Woking.  It's almost impossible to find in a car!

Paul Turner

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2002, 03:43:56 AM »

Tommy

I found the Northwood club history, but the photo of Death or Glory is arse backwards i.e. from behind the green!  I'll continue to peruse the shelfs at USGA.

PS
On reading the book, I think the bunker is still there, but not sleepered anymore.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2002, 04:59:36 AM »
NAF:

What a terrific writeup you gave us there about all those courses and most particularly how they "played" for various reasons.

As you might know, I've become extremely interested in what I call "the maintenance meld" and your write up gave all kinds of interesting ramifications on the varying aspect of "the maintenance meld'!

It is of no surprise to me that despite all that other clubs have you found Woking to be the most fun to play!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back