News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Bill_McBride

4-5 times a year in PGA TOUR Pro-Ams, and it is the greatest feeling in the world to make birdie with 6,000+ cheering you on!

I play in The Travelers Pro-Am on Wed at 12N off of the 10th tee with Joe Durant.  Can't wait to see the pure ball striking!

JWK

Jim, I don't know if you have met Joe Durant yet, but he is an honorary member of Pensacola CC and gets there from time to time.  He's just a great guy, very modest and yes, he is as pure a ball striker as there is.  Have fun!

Phil Benedict

I watched Tiger a bit when I was at the Open.  I don't think the fact that he has an audience even enters his consciousness.  He is completely engrossed in the task at hand.

Kenny Lee Puckett

Bill -

I'll be sure to tell him you said hello, if we can play today - T-Storms coming...

JWK

Andrew Thomson

every time I've ever teed off in front of more than 20 people I've duffed it.

Mark Bourgeois

When I drive myself into the captaincy of the R&A, you're all dis-invited!

Martin Del Vecchio

I watched Tiger a bit when I was at the Open.  I don't think the fact that he has an audience even enters his consciousness.  He is completely engrossed in the task at hand.
Tiger has said that when he was younger, he tried to remain 100% focused for the entire round, but found that to be impossible.  Now he relaxes and lets his mind wander between shots.  Usually only with Stevie or a playing partner, of course.

Gary Slatter

If so you must know how intimidating it might be at first.

Can you imagine playing in front of thousands and realizing there are maybe millions watching you on TV all over the world?

Do you wonder how these tour pros get used to that? Or do they?

In my opinion, if you play enough in front of that many people it probably sort of minimizes the sensation and you probably rather quickly learn how to go into something of a bubble the way those maddeningly followed tour players do.

Nevertheless, they always amaze me how well they seem to handle all that, particularly on tees where so many can be so close.

What do you think? How do you think you'd respond in their positions? If you had to do it fifty times do you think it would become second nature to you?  ;)
The absolute scariest moment I've had was in 1968, we were doing The Swing's the Thing Golf show for BOAC with John Jacobs at  Sanddown Park or something named like that near LONDON England. It was on live BBC, tousands of people watching, and as we did unison shots (five pros hitting at the same time) the crowd kept creeping in from the edges.  My position was at the end, on the left side of the range. We were hitting full 5 irons and I had to actually pull my shots high OVER the heads of people 20 feet in front of me! the toughest thing was to keep our swings "in unison", I am sure the people had no idea how close they came to being caualties.  After that experience, teeing off in the Canadian Open or any other event was dead easy.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back