News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Kevin Cook is posted...
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:03:15 PM »
under the Architecture Timeline and the Feature Interview sections.

Kevin's recently released book entilted Tommy's Honor is the winner of the prized GolfClubAtlas.com Book Award for 2007. This distinguished award was first issued to Daniel Wexler for Missing Links in 2000. Since then, I don't remember if we've awarded one or not  :-\ If we did, congratulations to the past winners! ;D However, the three hundred pages of absorbing reading provided by Tommy's Honor reminded me to dust off this highly cherished - albeit rare  ;) - award.  How good is Cook's writing? I stopped after fifty pages to Google him and see what else he has written.

A friend in Pinehurst that goes to St. Andrews every fall read it and told me that Tommy's Honor enabled him to get to know people that he thought he already knew. The personalities of Old Tom, Young Tom, Allan Robertson, Willie Park, etc. jump off the pages. Even Joy's extremely well done book The Scrapbook of Old Tom Morris doesn't shed as much light on Old Tom's personality and the times as this one does, at least for me.

For fans of golf course architecture, an understanding of the roots of golf course architecture at courses like The Old Course at St. Andrews and Prestwick is crucial. Essentially, it is the base from which golf course architecture grew. Old Tom DIRECTLY influenced Ross, Colt, Mackenzie, Macdonald, and Tillinghast. Not bad  :o for a man who grew up thinking he would likely be a hand-loom weaver. As Cook writes, Old Tom's 'chief contribution to the game may have been in course design, a multi-billion business that grew from the barrow, spade and shovel he used at Prestwick and St. Andrews.'

Prestwick and The Old Course both remain remarkably fresh to play decade after decade, thanks in part to their unusual features and the distinctive questions they ask. Will courses being built today be equally fascinating to study one hundred years from now? I doubt it, not unless a few more unusual/unique features are allowed to surface/are incorporated during the design process.

The Architecture Timeline section of this site starts with the introduction of the gutta in 1848. Cook's book captures the period of golf from 1840 through 1875 (the men, the sport, the equipment, the courses, greenkeeping) as well as any - it is highly recommended and should be required reading for all of us with an interest in golf course architecture.

Cheers,

Dan Herrmann

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:48:37 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Ian Andrew

Re:Feature Interview with Kevin Cook is posted...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »
I've never been so disappointed when an interview ended. This is a book that I can't wait to read.

Great choice of people to interview Ran, I always appreciated being put onto Daniel Wexler and it looks like the next great book that will have me spellbound once again.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »
Ran

I bought a copy of Tommy's Honor shortly after you talked so highly of the book. I am about 3/4 through it and it is every bit as good as you said.  

The towns of St Andrews and Prestwick come to life as do the characters and the (hard) lifestyle of 19th century Scotland. It documents not only the beginnings of golf course architecture but technology and the makings of professional golf as distinguished from the gentleman's amateur game.

Great Stuff - congratulations Kevin.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
Terrific book!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 10:41:44 AM »
I've just requested it from my local county library system.

The system has three copies. There are seven current requests.

This is a good sign for the author.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Daryl David

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »
I have made Kevin's book required reading for my Scotland trip participants.  If they don't read it before going over, they may be penalized!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:03:09 AM »
Great interview, Ran, and sounds like a great book, Kevin.

I am surprised that Kevin says that the guttie was a shorter ball than the featherie.  This conflicts with what I was led to believe from the orignial World Atlas of Golf, etc.  If you are still out there, Kevin, can you comment?

Thanks

Rich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back