News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

I'll admit it...
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:25:51 AM »
...I am more pumped for this US Open than any other event for the past 5 years or so.

Part of it is sentimental - as some here know, I was born in Pittsburgh and my family lived in Oakmont for the first two years of my life. (3 houses down 11th St. from Pennsylvania Ave). I still remember the Hulton Street Bridge and the smokestack you can see from the golf course. I was also at the '83 US Open at 2 months old.

I think the second part of it is that ever since this Open was awarded to Oakmont, I saw this as the event that would seal the deal for me as Tiger being the best ever. He wins at Oakmont, he can win anywhere. I'm actually going to be rooting for him this weekend, hard.

Finally, this weekend will be a win for golf architecture - especially with the tree management program at the forefront and with scores most likely staying in the neighborhood of par. As much as it can be abhorrent for TV coverage to dictate course maintenance and architecture decisions in a club this weekend may actually swing that tendency down a better road.

Anyone else sharing similar thoughts about this event?

Jeff_Mingay

Re:I'll admit it...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
We're on the same page, Kyle  :)

I'm really looking forward to watching the golf course perform this weekend... hoping, of course, the USGA doesn't go overboard (again) with the course set-up.

As you know, Oakmont could be mown fairway height - wall-to-wall - and still be a very good test for the world's best golfers. It's a very interesting, very individual golf course design that doesn't need much in regard to a specialized set-up for the US Open.

I'm rooting for Tiger - big time! - too.

Have fun,
jeffmingay.com

Ted Kramer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »
I'm in the same boat Kyle.
I've been very excited to see Oakmont for quite some time now.
And you hit the nail on the head when you said, " . . . this weekend will be a win for golf architecture - especially with the tree management program at the forefront and with scores most likely staying in the neighborhood of par. As much as it can be abhorrent for TV coverage to dictate course maintenance and architecture decisions in a club this weekend may actually swing that tendency down a better road."

-Ted

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:16:01 AM »
Another factor as compared to the past few US Opens is that this one is being contested on the best Henry Fownes course in the world....

;)

Therefore, it's not "Oh, typically Tillie this, or Ross crowned green that, or Flynn just hit me with a wiffle ball bat..."

Truly a unique architectural perspective that we as the cognescenti don't see all that often.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »
I quite like how the first round is shaping out and it seems like the players are picking and choosing their strategy for later rounds and trying to make the most of oppurtunities presented to them. Seems like Oakmont has these dudes thinking. Regardless of who makes the cut - the course seems to be exposing the players not prepared to think on their feet early and often. I can't think of a US Open (or other major, for that matter) in recent history that has done that.

Maybe Pinehurst in 1999...

How about Ogilvy's play on 10 as compared to Tiger's? Ogilvy was able to take advantage of an easier hole location while Tiger seem to out-think himself with his play from the tee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back