News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Dan Kelly

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

Re:O/T..When Golf Makes even the Innocent Feel Guilty
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
Bob,

When faced with this problem go to tinyurl.com and create a link out of the long string.  I don't know why but it seems to break the code that papers like to use to force you onto their front page.  I am comfortable in the ethics of the use.  I was given this link: http://tinyurl.com/39k6ok

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »
As Tiger Woods found when he first arrived on the scene, golf is not a pursuit that naturally opens itself up to outsiders. For some, its lore is all about preserving the privileges of those already inside.

Was Tiger slighted when the doctor who delivered him didn't invite him for a game even before the cord was cut?  Given that he was a national celebrity at 3 and continued on in every phase of his life to be one of the greatest golfers for his age, and the ages.  Where or when was he ever shut out?  One great thing about golf is that talent will always trump your looks, race or religion...It is one of the reasons that gambling plays such a vital and important role in the game.

redanman

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
FROM JUST TWO DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gents

Take the time to read the HELP section.  Long url's are easy to post.

code  eliminating the asteriks (*):

[*url=http://whatever,you kuckleheads]LINK TO ARTICLE[/url*]

would yield a LINK that says

LINK TO ARTICLE.  Try it.  It is much easier than those tinyurl links

all you do is right click the address in your browser window and insert it into the first bracket where the vertical line is.

e.g.  [*url=|]

TRY IT!

BTW

WHERE THE HELL IS THE SOPRANOS THREAD? Again?  :)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »
TRY IT!

As you can see, Dr. Redanman, I did. It worked, too.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
FROM JUST TWO DAYS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, even more straightforward is to put {url} at the beginning and {/url] at the end of a link (using the [ and ] keys instead of the { and }.  Then the above link appears as follows:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=2C0MSWOTFOW05QFIQMGCFFOAVCBQUIV0?xml=/opinion/2007/06/13/do1306.xml

The "{url]" at the beginning and "{/url]" at the end tells the board software that a link is being posted, and it should ignore any question marks or other punctuation in the middle of the url (that's what most commonly splits up url's).
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »
Apparently the word fug means something diffrent in the UK than it did to Norman Mailer.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

redanman

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »
TRY IT!

As you can see, Dr. redanman, I did. It worked, too.
Dan Kelly™

I've never ever! worried about you; it's the John Kavanaugh of
 the world as evidenced by his continued use of tiny url on here.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »
TRY IT!

As you can see, Dr. redanman, I did. It worked, too.
Dan Kelly™

I've never ever! worried about you; it's the John Kavanaugh of
 the world as evidenced by his continued use of tiny url on here.

What have you got against tinyurls? They work perfectly, too.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 04:46:14 PM »
This thread goes into the nomination box for "Plato's Cave" thread of the year: a discussion OT from the initial poster's OT topic.

This "second derivative" thread is anything but a straight line.
In fact it's a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »
The article itself is based on a lie and misconception.  Golf is the most blind sport of all as proven day after day on this site.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
Blind in what way is the entire sport?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »
Blind in that it is the only sport I know where any man of any race, religion, age or shape in any town can and will get together to play a pick-up game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:04:17 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »
Blind in that it is the only sport I know where any man of any race, religion, age or shape in any town can and will get together to play a pick-up game.

Provided its a public course right John?   ;)

As for pickup games....I played tons of pickup basketball games in the bay area at local parks and school. There was always a mixed bag of people everywhere you went.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:40:22 PM by Kalen Braley »

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 06:53:20 PM »
Love is blind.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
Thanks for posting, Bob. It was a well written piece, I thought, and good writing is always a pleasure to read. Its very 'balance' conveys a message deeper than the words themselves...
Peter  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »

Provided its a public course right John?   ;)

As for pickup games....I played tons of pickup basketball games in the bay area at local parks and school. There was always a mixed bag of people everywhere you went.

When I was younger I use to play both golf and basketball at facilities where I was the only white guy at either facility.  I was always welcome while golfing (a course in North Chicago) and seldom welcome on the courts (East St. Louis).  To this day I continue to be welcome at any private golf club in the country where my name is known and invite any and everyone to play where I am a member regardless of race, religion or talent.  That can not be said of either private or public basketball courts.

The idea that golf is closed in this country is only believed by those who have never tried.

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 10:01:22 PM »
Kalen and John,

I'm also a career basketball player, albeit a retired one.  Overall, I'd agree with John that there's more prejudice on the basketball courts.  However, like Kalen, I played most of my basketball in California, and most games there were color blind.

I have played in games where the white guys needed to earn respect, and were treated as inferior until proven otherwise.  Good old reverse discrimination.

On the other hand, I remember walking from a hotel in Bridgeport, Connecticut, down to the projects, looking for a basketball game when I was a kid.  I was about 18, and I was wearing a pair of engineer style overalls.  I found a game next to a housing project, and settled in for a couple hours.  Nobody said an unklnd word, nor treated me as unusual, even though I stuck out like a sore thumb in those striped overalls.  I was a basketball player.  For reasons such as these, basketball is the greatest sport I know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back