News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re:If the driver takes the most talent to hit straight and long...
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »
The rather wonderful US Open scoring has a course summary which provides a stat for "Cost of Rough".  No idea how this is calculated (though my guess would be a measure of the average over par of a player putting the ball in the rough on a hole) but averaged over the whole course it's 0.58 per hole.  Which suggests that the rough is rather more than "at most half shot penalties".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:52:50 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JESII

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2007, 09:45:14 AM »
Mark,

Your wording suggest that over the 14 driving holes it only 'costs' a total of .58 strokes when you drive it in the rough...is this possible?  Clearly by your last sentence you read it as .58 per hole...Is it possibly that high?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2007, 09:49:15 AM »
Mark,

Your wording suggest that over the 14 driving holes it only 'costs' a total of .58 strokes when you drive it in the rough...is this possible?  Clearly by your last sentence you read it as .58 per hole...Is it possibly that high?
The 0.58 figure is an average per hole over all the holes (obviously even on a par three you can hit it in the rough).  Per hole figures range from 0.26 (17th) to .80 (18th).

You're right, my first sentence is very unclear, I'll go back and edit it..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:50:21 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JESII

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:31 AM »
Amazing...thanks.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »
Where is the intimidation in at most half shot penalties for errant drives?  Did anyone in the field lose a ball or incurr a stroke and distance penalty.

John,  how many ball spotters do you think are on the course? Do you think it's more than 100? How often does this happen?

What would the lost ball count be if it were not for the spotters?

There's lots of intimidation. If for no other reason, it's a US Open.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 07:47:48 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the 0.58 stroke cost of being in the rough includes the many, shots in that little first cut. That might be as many as half the balls not in the fairway and I guarantee that's a much smaller penalty than being in the deep stuff or in a fairway bunker.

So it's probably something like a quarter stroke cost to be in the first cut and three quarters stroke to be in the deep stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back