News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

San Juan Oaks, Eagle Ridge, or Bayonet?
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »
I'm going to play golf the Friday before the Cal Am, and was given these three courses as recommendations by a friend. =

I would love to hear the thoughts of the NoCal GCA illuminati....

Kalen Braley

Re:San Juan Oaks, Eagle Ridge, or Bayonet?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »
San Juan is very nice with interesting holes.  Haven't played the other 2 but would be interesting to see how the tree removal went at Bayonet, although I wouldn't have anything to compare it to..  ;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »
Neither Bette nor I cared for Bayonette when we played it about 3 years ago. Poor condition, over treed and boringl
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 08:48:02 PM »
I played San Juan Oaks and really enjoyed it.

AndrewB

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 11:42:10 PM »
Go play Bayonet so you can tell us what they've done to the course.  My understanding is that much of the course (and Black Horse) is closed and still undergoing work since it's now becoming a resort with a hotel located on the old fifth hole.

I've never played Eagle Ridge, but between Bayonet and San Juan Oaks, I prefer Bayonet.  I've not played MPCC yet so I can't comment on which one of these would be better preparation for what you're likely to see in the event.

Are you still planning to play Pebble Beach?
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:51:38 PM »
Re: Bayonet / Blackhorse

They are re-doing 9 holes at at time.

9 holes on Bayonet are completed and 9 havent been touched yet.

Thus the entire Bayonet course is now available, but there are different grasses on either nine!

I'd recommend San Juan Oaks...

David Ober

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
Go play Bayonet so you can tell us what they've done to the course.  My understanding is that much of the course (and Black Horse) is closed and still undergoing work since it's now becoming a resort with a hotel located on the old fifth hole.

I've never played Eagle Ridge, but between Bayonet and San Juan Oaks, I prefer Bayonet.  I've not played MPCC yet so I can't comment on which one of these would be better preparation for what you're likely to see in the event.

Are you still planning to play Pebble Beach?

I think we will play Bayonet on Friday. Not sure about Pebble -- I have a couple things in the works that might preclude that. My game feels like it's in pretty good shape right now, finally. How are you playing, Andrew?

AndrewB

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 12:18:39 AM »
How are you playing, Andrew?

Who knows with this game.  Sometimes the ball goes in the hole, sometimes it doesn't ... I just try to enjoy myself either way.

I'm glad to hear you're in good form.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 12:19:36 AM »
Eagle Ridge has some good/fun holes along with some very goofy ones that are likely to turn off some of the golfing populous. Plus, it has houses along much of the routing. I like it well enough, but I wouldn't drive the 1:15 from my house to play it again

San Juan Oaks is more scenic, has a better overall design, and features the perfect balance of forgiveness and challenge. I would drive the 1:45 to play it again.

I haven't played Bayonet.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:58 AM »
I'd agree that SJO is a safer bet, although I enjoy both courses. SJO is a bit more straightforward and might be more enjoyable the first time around, as long as you don't mind wind.

John Kirk

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
Among those three, the clear answer is:  Pasatiempo

Pasatiempo is only about an hour's drive from Monterey.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 08:27:02 AM by John Kirk »

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
Among those three, the clear answer is:  Pasatiempo

Pasatiempo is only about an hour's drive from Monterey.

A great suggestion John. I'll second that.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 09:55:37 AM »
And I'll third that.  Pasatiempo is clearly better than all three of these.

Bayonet will be the best preparation for MPCC - it's the most similar in turf, wind, other factors.  And yes, I too would be interested in a report on what they've done to it - I think only 9 holes are open there - work is ongoing - be sure to call and inquire if you do decide to go there.  Note it's also by far the closest to MPCC - it's in Monterey.  

Kyle's just being nice about Eagle Ridge.  I've played it several times and hated it more and more each time.  Oh, I guess there are some decent holes... but it's tricked up to the max, and on the overall just plain sucks - go there only if you value pain. 45 minutes from Monterey.

San Juan Oaks is a very fun golf course, but nothing like MPCC.  You willl climb some very serious hills.... 30 minutes from Monterey.

Another fun golf course, but more along the muni lines, is Pajaro Valley GC - maybe 20 minutes from Monterey.  Fantastic greens... quick and very very contoured.  Can get windy there also, as it will for you at MPCC.

Any thoughts of Pacific Grove Muni?  It is great fun, a fair approximation of seaside golf, and would be good for the ego/confidence....

TH

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 06:00:49 PM »
And I'll third that.  Pasatiempo is clearly better than all three of these.

Bayonet will be the best preparation for MPCC - it's the most similar in turf, wind, other factors.  And yes, I too would be interested in a report on what they've done to it - I think only 9 holes are open there - work is ongoing - be sure to call and inquire if you do decide to go there.  Note it's also by far the closest to MPCC - it's in Monterey.  

Kyle's just being nice about Eagle Ridge.  I've played it several times and hated it more and more each time.  Oh, I guess there are some decent holes... but it's tricked up to the max, and on the overall just plain sucks - go there only if you value pain. 45 minutes from Monterey.

San Juan Oaks is a very fun golf course, but nothing like MPCC.  You willl climb some very serious hills.... 30 minutes from Monterey.

Another fun golf course, but more along the muni lines, is Pajaro Valley GC - maybe 20 minutes from Monterey.  Fantastic greens... quick and very very contoured.  Can get windy there also, as it will for you at MPCC.

Any thoughts of Pacific Grove Muni?  It is great fun, a fair approximation of seaside golf, and would be good for the ego/confidence....

TH

Hucks, I haven't seen Pete from Pajaro here in a while. Do you know if he's okay?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
All was well with our friend Pete the last time I saw him, but that was in December.  I think I saw him post on here pretty recently...

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 06:23:06 PM »
All was well with our friend Pete the last time I saw him, but that was in December.  I think I saw him post on here pretty recently...

I'm waiting for Pete to post some of his expectantly cool pictures of his new favorite golf spot ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »
Without knowing what the new course changes are like I would still recommend staying in the general vacinty by playing Bayonett. It is built slightly above sea level but has enough elevation change where you might be able to get a better feel for exactly how much to allow at seal level. You are playing the AM at MPCC, correct?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Leahy

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 07:59:45 PM »
Bayonet, I believe the front side work was completed in May and there is no tougher test, Pasa included.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back