News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_mcknight

torrey pines south 13th
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
I recently read that the 13th at Torrey South will be extended from 540 to 615 for the open next year.

Last night, I perused Google Earth (sorry T-Huck) and found the existing 540 tee and am curious where the 615 would be placed.  Is it going to be placed into the sand dues/cliffs back of the 12th green/13th tee complex, where?  I've been there a few times and don't know where you could find the additional 70 yards behind the existing back tee.

Still can't believe M Davis' statement that they will use pretty much all of the back tee yardage at TP next year, where it will be in the 7585 yard par 70 range--it will be 350 yards longer than any other open course in history.

David Stamm

Re:torrey pines south 13th
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
Peter, I believe the tee wil be to the left of the existing tee and back towards the access road. Some of the trees will be removed (?) and the shot will obviously require a long carry over the canyon. I'll have to check and see where I heard this description, but I'm pretty sure that this will be the case.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

peter_mcknight

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:16:32 PM »
So, in other words, it will go from a 540 yard straighaway par 5, slightly uphill to a dog-leg from right to left at 615 yards?  That will necessitate quite a walk from the 12th green to the 13th back tee in that case.

Oh, it will be the most isolated tee ground on the entire course at that point.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:38:42 PM »
Here is a Google screenshot for said hole and perhaps a tee box location.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:51:55 PM »
Yes, that Google Earth shot just proves my point--at that point, it will be around 200 yards from 12th green to 13th tee.  Well, whatever, it will play downwind provided June gloom isn't in full blast this time next year.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Torrey Pines south 13th
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »
I'm looking so forward to this next year's open. So forward to it. In fact, I think I just excremented in my pants......

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:38 PM »
Perhaps you could wear the alleged pants, go hang-gliding next Father's day right over the proposed tee location :o, and make TW stop his downswing....now that might make WF Bell roll over in his grave.

A good friend of mine is so looking forward next year's open that he signed up as a volunteer and is taking the week off of work to do so. I stopped short of asking him what flavor the free bowl of soup was going to be that he'll get with his free hat.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:29:38 AM »
The new tee has been built, it's over by the fence just to the north of the radio beacon tower, which isn't identifiable in the aerail posted. It is in the yellow box in the aerial and the landing zone would be just over the notch in the native vegatation. We went back there last month and hit balls; Warren who can carry it 260 made it by 10 yards, I found the shrubberies. I paced it off as 50 yards more than normal, so it'll play about 610 yards. The hole will be a sharper dogleg with a minimum 250 yard carry, albeit downwind. It is an exciting tee shot, something Torrey sorely lacks for its' location.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:34:00 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:49:28 AM »
My guess is that it will still be reachable in two by 50% of the field.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 10:22:37 AM »
Pete, are any of Jones' fairway bunkers even in play from the new tee?

It would be "interesting" if some of the changes made to get the open are irrelevent once the open arrives.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back