News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Justin_Zook

Open Venues in Pennsylvania
« on: June 11, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »
So if a course is to host a US Open, it must be challenging and it must be located near a major city and have available land for USGA infrastructure.  I think having a rich, storied history helps too.

Besides Oakmont and Merion, what other courses in Pennsylvania could hold a US Open?

Are there any other courses that have as comparable a history and challenge as Oakmont and Merion?

Are there any newer courses, say 1980s and newer, in the state that, someday, could host a US Open?  
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Dan Herrmann

Re:Open Venues in Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 05:07:33 PM »
Aronimink in Newtown Square (suburban Philly) is Ross, and has held a number of majors.

Philadelphia Country Club is first rate - it held the USGA Women's Amateur a couple of years ago.

Outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, you have Lancaster CC, a great Flynn course that is loved in PA, but probably not as well known outside the commonwealth.

Newer courses include Stonewall (Doak/Hanse), which has held several state championships.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:07:55 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
Saucon Valley near Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton has the infrastructure and has hosted the Senior Open and will host another and a Women's Open but their history is lacking compared to Merion/Oakmont.

Aronimink has hosted a PGA and a Senior PGA.

As far as new courses are concerned, Huntsville near Wilkes Barre is a quality course by Rees Jones but probably does not have the infrastructure to host a major.

As for as central or western PA is concerned, I'm not sure about new courses out there.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:28:21 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

redanman

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 05:27:08 PM »
The 7200 yard newly-Fazio-ized Old Course (Bearing no resemblance whatsoever to Strong's Engineers, even before) at Saucon Valley is probably not close to long enough.

Fantastic "Country Club", maybe unequalled.  Generally boring 54 holes. (Even non-Lehigh CC members say that.)  :-\ What a snooze and Re: Old, what a shame. Nice turf, though.

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »
The US Open has been or will be held at the following PA courses:

Philadelphia Cricket Club:  1907,1910
Oakmont:  1927,1935,1962,1973,1983,1994,2007
Merion East:  1934,1950,1971,1981,2013
Philadelphia Country:  1939

Huntingdon Valley, and as Dan suggested, Lancaster Country Club could/should hold a US Open.  It is a shame that these courses have not yet been used for a USGA event.  Tom Paul, use some of your considerable pull to make it happen!

peter_mcknight

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
Saucon Valley, while a wonderful institution, could host the open from the outside the ropes perspective, but, for all three courses, from an inside the ropes perspective, all would fail on that grand a scale.

The Old Course, aka the Saucon Course, possesses a fairly strong opening nine holes that could hold up, but the back nine would struggle no matter what length has been added (I would assume it isn't much compared to the front, where there are more possibilities like 2, 3, 5, possibly 6, 7 and 8).

The Grace Course is stronger than the Old, but couldn't host it from an inside the ropes perspective because there would be no room for spectators on holes 16 through 18, especially 18 unless the playground was eliminated, plus the trees behind the 18th green.  Besides, that hole would just be a 3 wood wedge for the top guys today unless they moved the back tee across the Shoudy Barn entrance road, then it would become a driver 7 iron kind of hole.

The Weyhill Course would be better from an outside the ropes standpoint, but it would take millions to get that course ready for an open, plus the original 18th would have to be completely redesigned.

By the way, what holes were lengthened at the Old Course?  If someone has the new yardages, please let me know so I can add them to my file and update the My Home Course profile accordingly.

redanman

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »
Peter

474 O
480 O
456 O
429 O

615 O
496 Ozzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Is this the Rozirem of PA? :)

"O" = Orphanized additional tee

Powell Arms

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »
Philly Country is a great course, and the new Centennial nine could probably hold the USGA hospitality infrastructure.  However, moving spectators in and out of the course would be very difficult, and perhaps the Achilles heel in reviewing their suitability for an Open.

Huntington Valley would be a wonderful venue.

The 18 at Philly Cricket that hosted the 1907 and 1910 Opens now exists as a nine hole course, renumbered but substantially the same for the holes that remain.  (We had a wonderful tournament on that course Saturday and lecture from Jim Finnegan celebrating the 100th anniversary of the 1907 Open, including a putting contest with Willie Anderson's putter.  Mr Anderson is one of only four golfers to have won the US Open four times.)

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Jason Mandel

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
Interesting question.

1.  Philly Country-  I really think they could hold an open, those greens are interesting enough that the course will not be eaten up.

2.  Huntingdon Valley- I don't care what the length is on the score card, the combination of sidehill lies, lighting greens, would be enough that the players would really be tested and it might be seen as one of the most interesting opens in a long time.

3.  Aronimink- probably too much affiliated with the PGA to get a open, although they did have a boys amateur 10 years ago, the course is long enough and tough enough to hold an open.,  

While I love Lancaster, even more than Philly country and Huntingdon Valley, I just don't see it as an open course.  Besides the logistics of having a US OPEN in amish country, it just doesn't feel like an open course to me.

You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 11:18:58 PM »
Rolling Green had a Women's Open in 1976 won by Joanne Carner.

Kahkwa in Erie had a Women's Open in 1971 won by Joanne Carner.

Moselem Springs in Reading had a Women's Open in 1968 won by Susie Berning.

Churchill Valley in Pittsburgh had a Women's Open in 1959 won by Mickey Wright.

Bala in Philadelphia had a Women's Open in 1952 won by Louise Suggs.

As a sidenote, Atlantic City CC held the Women's Open in 1975 won by Sandra Palmer and in 1965 by Carol Mann and in 1948 by Babe Zaharias.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Justin_Zook

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:23:58 AM »
Thanks guys.  I could remember Saucon: Old, but completely forgot about Aronimink, Philly, and Huntington Valley to name a few.

Wayne, do you really think Lancaster Country Club could hold it's own against the likes of Tiger Woods, Goose, Els, Jim Furyk, and some of the other guys?  The Sunset 6 and Highlands 9 provides plenty of space for whatever tents the USGA would want to set up.  Route 23, 30, 222, and 283 would provide decent enough access.  Lancaster has the hotel infrastructure to handle an influx of 20,000 people.  Do you think Lancaster is hard enough and long enough?

I do find it interesting that Jim Furyk, as a golfer in high school, played LOTS of practice rounds at Lancaster Country Club.  No wonder he is so good.

What course do you all see hosting the next non-seniors, men's major in Pennsylvania besides Oakmont and Merion?
We make a living by what we get...we make a life by what we give.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »
Doesn't Huntingdon Valley have three nines?  Which ones would you pick for the Open?  I know they have never done this, but what about the possibility of using all three nines?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back