News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Brian_Ewen

Turnberry's 14th
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:55:08 AM »
I had a chance to play Ailsa last month with a friend who is a member .

I was quite surprised at the amount of new bunkers there was since my last visit , and my friend mentioned several times that the members were very puzzled at some of the placements of the new ones .

He scratched his head the most on the 14th , and complained that the new bunkering on the right would do nothing but punish a good drive with the best line into the green .

I suppose it plays more like its name 'Risk an Hope' now , but I thought he had a point .

Your thoughts please .

OLD                                                                                                                                 NEW
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:56:03 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Matt MacIver

Re:Turnberry's 14th
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:42:11 AM »
I think the closer one gets to those new right-side bunkers the better the green opens up.  I recall the fairway being relatively flat with a little left-to-right in it, but probably won't funnel too many balls in the bunkers.  

Someone mentioned #16 had been materially altered, moving the entire fairway to the left in order to build a new Champions tee for #17.  I never saw the old hole but liked the new fairway bunkering and rolling downhill nature of the hole, and eventual carry over the burn.  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:00:57 PM by Matt MacIver »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »

I played with a couple of members who thought a bunker on the left might still come back.  They spoke (surprisingly) highly of a classic matchplay hole, seemingly simple but normally played into the wind.  "The home player never underestimates this hole".  In late march the ground played well but was not so f&f that my balls were in danger of running into these. So is this another case of the changes being made for 4 days ever 12 years - make the flat bellies think twice about reaching for driver on what for them is only a medium length two shotter?

For me it adds interest. Hit.

How did 16 play?  This was the old fairway gone to seed and we played it as a fun par 3 from the right 125yards.

This shows the new fairway, there’s talk of adding ‘dunes’ to the far side

New tees for 17

And, why not …

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:59:04 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:11:46 AM »
Personally I detested what they have done to the 16th .

I am sure some will say it should make no difference , but I hated that they didnt alter the tee left as well .

Considering it used to be my favourite hole on the course , the changes just didnt sit well with my eye at all , and that it was so clearly done just to add yardage to the 17th tee just annoys me .

That I lost a ball in what used to be fairway , scuppering a decent score , has in no way influenced my thoughts .  ;)

Although I am no fan of the first three holes , I was also surprised at what they have done to the 1st .

I have always thought the best line in is from the left hand side of the fairway , and duly hit my drive down the left , only for the starter to say I was in one of the new bunkers . I wasnt but my playing partner was , who hit a similar shot .

I got the feeling the changes were all about a worry that it wont play tough enough in 2009.

Wish I had more photos but the weather was terrible , and the camera was barely out .
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:33:40 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »
Okay,whats your thoughts on the new 10th tee then ?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:35:12 PM »
Okay,whats your thoughts on the new 10th tee then ?

It's scenic, looks like a higher shot required!
I have only played Turnberry 4 times and the 14th is the only hole that I could not remember, except it was into the wind.
Have they changed the 15th hole? I have always thought 15 and 11 at Prestwick are two perfect short holes.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 03:31:51 PM »
That new tee box produces a nearly blind tee shot, and looks to be a nice addition for the pros.  #9 is somewhat blind, too.  

I can't recall #15 at Ailsa, nor #11 at Prestwick without my book....but as for short holes #16 at Prestwick has my vote all day long.  

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 04:16:10 PM »
No change to No.15 at all , a hole that I think has an interesting green .

But No.6 Tappie Toorie is my favourite par 3 though .

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:58:48 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 04:55:58 PM »
Brian I’ve only been once and obviously I’m completely intoxicated.  However I didn’t lable these at the time so anyone please tell me if I’ve got them wrong.
And it would be interesting to hear more about the changes.

Haven’t looked at these since March so please let me know if they are mislabbled.where else did you see changes.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:01:46 PM by Tony Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 05:51:26 PM »

The members I played with were undecided as to the best way to play 10 now.  They thought the new tee, making it a blind dogleg with two centerline bunkers was now potentially a rival to 9, as the hole!

10 new tee in preparation

For normal play

11th (weakest hole of the course?)

Remains of a runway to the left of 12

12 tee shot.  A weak hole or a ‘calmer’ after the ride to 10?

13th

Looking back down

16green

Not sure 17th G?

18 from the daily tees (Champioship from the left)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »
Another hole I loved was the 17th.  I get the impression it is considered easy for the big boys. For me after a semi blind tee shot I had a real dilemma as to where I should lay up?  Both times I was left with a ball on a severe upslope making it hard to judge the pitch.

Again with me a Hit, but what say the better/longer players?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back