News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Edwardian or Victorian?
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:32:24 AM »
I am placing the painting below in the Bonhams Golf Collectors Auction near the time of the Open.  There is some debate as to the age of the painting.  For certain it is between 1880ish and 1905ish.  I am trying to find out of there is any clue from the clothing or perhaps the bag?  I don't know anything about golf attire from the period and would guess the there isn't much difference in the 25 year period.  I do seem to recall Harry Vardon starting the trend of trouser wearing sometime shortly before the turn of the century, but I could be wrong about this.  Of course, even if this were the case it doesn't mean the painting isn't depicting an earlier time.  Anybody have a clue?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

TEPaul

Re:Edwardian or Victorian?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:35:45 AM »
Do you mean that painting actually has no date attached to it or just that you don't happen to know what it is?

RT

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:19:09 AM »
The gent's swing looks pretty modern.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Didn't he also paint "Dogs Playing Golf?"

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:59:32 PM »
You have pinned down the age good enough for any collector to buy with confidence. I do not think it would make a difference in price either way, unless the painter went through some definable periods. But then you could easily pin-point the age according to stylistic criteria. However, I do not think this applies to James Douglas.

That being said I'd deem it an early work.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 05:02:26 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:45:02 PM »
Sean, what is written below his signature?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:07:57 PM »
Philip
I read it as "North Berwick"

Peter
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:11:11 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:10:49 PM »
Just looking at Bass Rock in the distance, slightly different colour these days.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »
Sean when you put the picture on here before, didn't most agreed it was of the East Links.  You should research it's foundation date. The Times Guide, Ed Rowlinson, has the Glen Golf Club founded 1906.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back