News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

Re:The def. of fair and it's relation to difficulty
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 02:58:47 PM »
Yes, but the question is: Can a catcher's mitt rightfully be deemed "unreasonable"?

If not, then your appeal to have "unreasonable" replace "unfair" will be denied by the powers that be, unfortunately....

;)

Garland Bayley

Re:The def. of fair and it's relation to difficulty
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 02:59:04 PM »
IMHO David Ober said the right thing when he used the words "in the spirit of the game".

Tom Kite should have said Oakmont is difficult, but well within the spirit of the game.

I understand that Sawgrass was widely ridiculed as unfair when the players first played it. What they were simply saying is that they did not feel that Sawgrass was properly within the spirit of the game compared to the other featureless tracts they had been used to playing. It pushed them outside of their comfort level, which is exactly what Pete Dye tries to do.

I believe many or even most here would disagree and say that Sawgrass was very difficult, but within the spirit of the game.

I had the experience of playing a shot to below the hole at BM #11, and having two putts return to my feet after running a few inches past the hole. That hole position that day was not in the spirit of the game.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back