News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

South Bend
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
I will be in South Bend for a game in October, is it a good time to play weather wise and what else is there to play besides the Warren Course?  The original course looks like fun to play.  I also saw a course west of campus that looked really interesting on google earth. Blackthorn. Any suggestions or should I just leave the clubs at home?
thanks

Chris_Clouser

Re:South Bend
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »
Lance,

If Andy Troger sees this he can probably give you a list a mile long.  But I would say South Bend CC if you have access.  Blackthorn and Warren would be the best stops for public courses.  Depending on the weekend Warren could be a bear if the Irish have a home game.  Andy can chime in with some other suggestions.  Juday Creek in Granger might also be a good time depending on how far that is for you and timing.  

Shoot me a PM when you make a choice and perhaps I can arrange to meet you if it is a weekend.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
Lance,

If Andy Troger sees this he can probably give you a list a mile long.  But I would say South Bend CC if you have access.  Blackthorn and Warren would be the best stops for public courses.  Depending on the weekend Warren could be a bear if the Irish have a home game.  Andy can chime in with some other suggestions.  Juday Creek in Granger might also be a good time depending on how far that is for you and timing.  

Shoot me a PM when you make a choice and perhaps I can arrange to meet you if it is a weekend.

I've seen Andys list and can verify indeed that it is a mile long.  He would be the one to ask about golf in South Bend

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
Lance,
I'm on my lunch break at the moment and don't have time to give you my "mile long list"  ;D, but I will have some time later this evening to get back to you. I actually don't live in SB anymore so I won't be around in October, but I've played all the suspects quite a few times. The suggestions of SBCC, Blackthorn, and Warren are the three best, but I'll expand a bit tonight.

Brian Joines

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 06:40:25 PM »
I can chime in on this as well.

Warren and Blackthorn are the best public courses in South Bend, hands down.

Yesterday, I made it to Angel's Crossing in an hour from South Bend. That was my second time up there this year and I just can't even tell you how much I enjoyed those rounds. It is, in my opinion, a level above both Blackthorn and Warren. I don't know what your plans are but if it's feasible, I would definitely make it a point to get there.

If I am in available, I would be glad to host you at South Bend CC. Andy had a thread earlier with some pictures and descriptions of the course. Maybe he can pull it up again for us.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:47:38 PM »
Guys, thanks for the info.  Is the weather decent enough around mid to late October?  My only problem is my wife and aunt will be with us and I'm not sure they want to hand around while my uncle and I play golf.  Blackthorn looks really interesting from google earth.  What about the original nine on campus.  Last time I walked around it looked pretty fun.
thanks lance

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=27660;start=msg533019#msg533019

That is the link to the South Bend CC thread. In my opinion its by far the best course in town and if you can work things out with Brian I would certainly recommend it. Its a beautiful site as well.

As far as the two public courses, it depends on what you like I think. Blackthorn is much wider and has some great holes, although it has a few odd ones too. Warren is very solid, old-looking, and very difficult. I've played both quite a few times, and would play Blackthorn if I only had one round between the two just because I think its more fun to play. Warren eats my lunch, so take that for what its worth. As Chris said, you'd have to really plan ahead to get on Warren most likely.

Angels Crossing is a good option too but with the family around I doubt you will want to drive that far. The original nine on campus is pretty dull, its flat without anything to distinguish it. If you want something that might be inexpensive and a quicker round try Erskine on the south side of town, great like old municipal course. It short, but the back nine is better than you'd expect. I wouldn't bring my clubs to play Juday Creek.

In terms of the weather in South Bend...who knows :) You may get 70 and sunny and you might get 45 with some sideways rain and a lot of gloomy clouds. Most likely it will be somewhere halfway in between that, but the courses will be open and playable. If you get a decent day its a nice time to play (save for a lot of leaves on the ground).

Lance Rieber

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »
Thanks for all the help.
Lance

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back