News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Whose Opinion? From Golf World...
« on: June 07, 2007, 02:42:42 AM »
The subject? Augusta National Golf Club of course!

Donald Steel
The UK’s ‘Open Doctor’ has been a designer for more than 40 years.

Ross McMurray
Designer with EGD, best known for his work on Woburn Marquess.

Kyle Phillips
Former RTJ employee, designed Kingsbarns and The Grove.

Ran Morrisset
Partner in Cabot Links in Nova Scotia and founder of golfclubatlas.com.

Dave Thomas
Former Ryder Cup player; designed The Belfry and Sotogrande.

In an ever-evolving sport, Augusta National was one of the few constants. Every April the world’s best players were invited to take on the course that Bob built, and every April the majority returned home, tail between legs. It worked like a dream for 60 years, capturing the imagination of sports fans the world overBut then something happened. A big-hitting 21-year-old in his first professional Masters obliterated the course, hitting 8-irons into par-5s and refusing to three-putt. Augusta acted quickly, adding rough in the hope of demanding more accuracy. The two post-Tiger Woods winners, Mark O’Meara and Jose Maria Olazábal, were ideal: honest pros with good all-round games. Order was restored and the nightmare of 18-under and 370-yard drives could be forgotten. But then, in 2001, the dam burst.
Chairman Hootie Johnson, watching play on the 455-yard 11th with the club’s consultant architect Tom Fazio, spotted a ball on the fairway some 30 yards short of the green. He assumed it was a lay-up from under the trees. It was actually Phil Mickelson’s drive. Once the players had gone through, Hootie ducked under the rope and searched for the nearest sprinkler head. He walked back, visibly stunned. “94 yards,” he said, shaking his head. “Tom, it’s time.” By the time the players teed up in the first round a year later, 285 yards had been added. Last year a further 155 had to be negotiated – and everybody in golf has something to say about it. Is Augusta better or worse? Golf World has spoken to five leading design experts from the UK and the United States to debate the impact of these changes. Their views make absolutely fascinating reading.

Golf World: Well, gentlemen. A year on from the latest raft of changes, what do we all make of what has happened at Augusta National over the last decade?
DONALD STEEL: The older players such as Jack and Arnold have been fiercely critical, but it is not really Augusta’s fault. It is all to do with the equipment companies making balls and clubs that go distances that the world’s golf courses are not designed for. About eight or nine years ago Augusta National were very close to ordering that a specific ball be used for the Masters, but that would have been a very risky and brave stance to take and they eventually backed down, opting instead to simply make the course longer and harder. What Tom Fazio has done is what most of us would probably do. He has looked at the options available to him – adding length, adding bunkering, narrowing fairways and planting vegetation – and played his cards according to what he thinks would work best on the course. It sounds an easy thing to do, but it certainly isn’t. Augusta National were fortunate enough to have the land to do it, to have the time to do it and to have the money to do it. People might criticise Augusta but what is their alternative? You get to a stage where you start to ‘trick up’ the course, like the USGA do at the US Open. It even happened at the Open at St Andrews two years ago when the pin positions on the 1st and 18th were the Sunday positions for all four days.

ROSS McMURRAY: I agree. Yes, they have lengthened Augusta, but what else could they do? Toughen up the greens? I am not against the changes at all, I really don’t consider it a big issue. People always complain about changes, but it is the same with the Road Hole bunker at St Andrews. They work on it every three years and there is always a hue and cry. It must have changed dozens of times over the years. Yes, the course at Augusta is nothing like the one that MacKenzie and Jones designed, but it has always been something that has
changed to adapt to the times and the demands of the game. I used to think that adding length to courses would play into the hands of the big-hitters, but the performances of people like Olazábal, Weir and DiMarco proves that short-hitters can do well there. Distance can be a help but sensible course management and a good short game is priceless at Augusta.

DAVE THOMAS: I have only seen the changes on TV but I know what Jack means when he said the changes look like they were done by somebody who doesn’t play golf. It’s a bit like the head of the greens committee tinkering with a hole; they never think about the players and what happens if they miss the green. They need to ask if the balance is fair. You can’t be totally penal. Otherwise you bunker a green to death, make it tiny and make them hit a 3-iron in. They need space to stop the ball on a long hole or a bank to stop it. Or you let it run through the back and bunker the front. It’s got to be one or the other.

KYLE PHILLIPS: I agree with Ross, it is not really fair for people to say that Augusta National has changed beyond all recognition lately; it has been a moving piece for years and years, always being tinkered with. Robert Trent Jones Snr, the original Open Doctor, moved plenty of things around. Rae’s Creek as it is today is an entirely artificial, controlled version of what was originally there; the real creek actually flows beneath ground. My problem with Augusta is that the illusion generated is something that is geared just for that one week of the year. It is a nightmare for greenkeepers the world over who are being asked why their courses don’t look like Augusta. They are under pressure to produce something that is unattainable because this one course becomes like Disneyland for a week. It is a fantasy.

MacKenzie once said, “Narrow fairways bordered by long grass make bad golfers. They do so by destroying the harmony and continuity of the game and in causing a stilted and a cramped style, destroying all freedom of play.” Is this now true at Augusta?
RAN MORRISSET: I think Jones and MacKenzie would be horrified. Both of them worshipped the Old Course and its promotion of bold, attacking golf. When Augusta opened, everybody was taken aback by the wide playing corridors and the absence of bunkering, I think there were less than 30 on the course. It offered room off the tee but the demands became more exacting the closer one got to the green. Now it has become increasingly non-descript; it has morphed into a typical tree-lined parkland course. Before, Augusta National resisted being categorised, now it can be dismissed as parkland in nature. On top of that, the uniform colour of green that they have achieved throughout the course is so unnatural. The tree planting and addition of rough to tighten the fairways goes against the tenets they borrowed from St Andrews.

Six holes now have 320-yard carries to clear fairway bunkers. Can only long-hitters win there now?

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Whose Opinion? From Golf World...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:43:57 AM »
DONALD STEEL: People will say it favours big-hitters, but it has always been an advantage to be a long-hitter. Just look at Jack. Tiger is so successful because he is such a brilliant player; he will have a chance on any course. At Hoylake last summer, he was content to lay up short of all the bunkers we put in to try to stop the big-hitters, so in a sense it worked. But he is so good that he didn’t mind coming in to the greens from further out.
DAVE THOMAS: The players who won when I was playing there in the 1950s were not particularly long – Doug Ford, Bob Goalby – but a player like Hogan could always summon up an extra 20 yards when he really needed it. I suppose lengthening was inevitable, but it has always been a tough course. On 10, for instance, if you had a 5-iron in you knew you’d hit a good drive. The other problem was that we had no real way of knowing the exact distance. There were no strokesavers, no yardage charts, no GPS rangefinders, no pin-position sheets, yardages on sprinkler heads… Now they have it too easy, complaining if they have to hit more than a 5-iron in or struggle to break par.

KYLE PHILLIPS: I personally don’t mind players being under-par. When I think back to great Masters tournaments, I don’t remember scores, I remember the excitement of the world’s best players competing. That is what people want. The trouble for designers is that the guys playing now are so good that it is very difficult to make a fair course that can still challenge them.

RAN MORRISSET: My other complaint really concerns the way they have taken the ground game option out of the original design, especially at holes  7, 10, and 17. It is strictly an aerial course now.

DAVE THOMAS: At least the new changes have been done with an idea to maintain the attacking principles. Augusta winners have traditionally been attacking players. It is very difficult to play conservatively and win. Play safe and the course will get you in the end. You have got to make birdies to win because the course never lets up, never gives you breathing space.

KYLE PHILLIPS: But these guys are so good that the course is not really that hard is it? The edges of the courses are recoverable and you can play out of this new rough fairly easily. In fact, the rough helps stop the ball from running under the trees and can also sit the ball up nicely. On the holes without water there is not too much to worry about. The bunkers, too, are not much of a hazard really. It’s not like, say, Royal Lytham where you have to play out sideways. Augusta has been set up with what is available to them, and I believe that the adding of length has been the best option. There was a lot of talk about it last year but I thought it turned out to be a very fair test with the medium-hitter proving that it could be played well even if you don’t hit the ball a mile.

Hole 11 is the one that seems to be causing a huge amount of controversy.
DAVE THOMAS: Traditionally, the position off the tee was not that important on a hole like 11. As Bobby Jones said, it was always a second-shot course. If you wanted a riskier route in, it was there for you and the rewards could be had if you pulled it off. That is not the case any more. Now it seems like there is no safe option. It has always been such a tough hole, but not because of the length. It was not a birdie hole, simply because of the danger: the pond on the left was really frightening and the pin was always tucked in. If you played safe and kept it right, it left a terrifying chip from what became Larry Mize country towards the water.

RAN MORRISSET: I groaned when I saw how defensive they have made the 11th hole. The golfer can no longer go well right off the tee in order to seek the best angle into the green – if he does, he will find himself in trees and rough. That is not how it was supposed to be. It’s the same with the 7th and 1st. To see the best golfers in the world chipping out from under trees on the 1st hole is the antithesis of the positive golf that Bob and MacKenzie wanted.

GW: What about the two par-5s after the turn. They are still exciting and pivotal holes, aren’t they?
DONALD STEEL: Holes 13 and 15 are very special and often determine the winner. They are so great from a design point of view because they are within the range of most players but they are fraught with risk and danger no matter how far out you are. They both offer the chance of an eagle but equally, if you don’t hit it just right a seven or eight can appear from nowhere.

RAN MORRISSET: I think MacKenzie would have advised them to make the 13th and 15th play as par-4s at 465 and 490 yards for that one week. Their pars would have been protected and they would have saved the millions of dollars that has been squandered on changes that rendered the course more mundane.

ROSS McMURRAY: I think 13 is an example of how the changes have worked well. It had basically become a par-4. Players could hit a driver around the corner and go in with a mid-iron. Now it is a par-5 again. The second cut of fairway has made all the difference. You used to be able to hit it anywhere but now being in the cut can affect the spin on the ball which can have a massive bearing on the ability to hold the green.
KYLE PHILLIPS: Hole 15 has changed a number of times over the years: they’ve added trees, added mounding, pulled things in and out to try and maintain the course status. They have added rough and not been afraid to add trees, particularly in the area between 15 and 17 to affect the shape of shots on 15 where players try to take advantage of the fairway cambers. They are trying to force the long drivers into narrow slots which makes it much harder. But it is a great, gambling par-5 that makes for great TV.

DAVE THOMAS: I always thought it was the most frightening hole on the course. There was a hollow in the fairway and if you got there you could go for the green in two. If you didn’t, you had a decision to make. If you overclubbed, you’d hit the green, run over the back and risk going in the water on the 16th. If you were through the green, the chip back towards the water was awful and walking down the fairway knowing that was waiting would really pile on the agony. That is the feeling that a designer wants to induce in a player, and many of the holes I have created have come from my memories of Augusta National. Not in terms of the design of the hole itself, the features of it, but the effect that it generates. You want players to know that a great shot will be rewarded, but one that is not quite right will cause a headache on the next shot. That is exactly what happens at the 15th, and that is what makes Augusta so great.

Reprinted from Golf World

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28:20 AM »
Why is that so many people think that those who are criticizing Augusta are doing so because of the length added? That's all Thomas and the others that were positive about the changes seemed to say. Adding length isn't the problem. The problem is that the strategic values of the course have been totally changed by the adding of rough and trees to narrow the playing corridors. The could have added all the length they wanted and not done the other stuff and I think virtually everyone would be okay with it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:34:27 AM »
Tommy Naccarato,

The golf course isn't as wide as it used to be, BUT, it's still a relatively wide golf course, with the exception of a few  holes like # 7.

If I had my drothers, I would have prefered them to employ horizontal elasticity, moving the fairways in for the tournament and back out for membership play, although, with Bermuda, that might be easier said than done.

Michael Ryan

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:34:26 AM »
All things being equal (not sure that is possible) are the players of today now hitting the same irons as the greats of the past at Augusta?  Taking some ridiculous bombers out of the equation, are maybe 75% of today's players hitting the same iron (give or take one) as Snead, Hogan, Palmer, and Nicklaus?

And (regardless if the answer is yes or no in everyone's opinion) is that what Augusta was looking to do and is that a proper way for a course to evolve?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:03:05 PM »
Bravo Ran!

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JESII

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 02:13:05 PM »
Interesting read...it appears Ran views the course in a 52 week window while the rest view it in a one week window...how do you think course alterations at Augusta National should be contemplated?

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 03:43:55 PM »
I really enjoyed the piece, as much as I enjoy an American polluting a good European magazine that I have been fond of for a few years.  ;)

For those who do not subscribe to Golf World, here is a link.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
Hopefully soon the equipment manufacturers will be able to break the stalemate on "improving" the equipment in pro baseball. How does everyone think renovating all the ballparks every year will go over?

Yet it is allowed to happen in golf.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:06:05 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »
Did they really misspell Ran's name throughout?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BCrosby

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »
Dan™ - Yes, yes they did.

Kudos to Ran. He's on the money.

Obvioulsy keeping winning scores closer to par was the prime motivation for the changes at ANGC. Ran's idea about converting 13 and 15 to par 4's for the purpose of relieveing that pressure (and thus avoiding the treeing up of so much of the course) is an interesting one.

I don't like it, but it's a better bad choice than the bad choices ANGC actually made.

Bob™
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 08:48:25 AM by BCrosby »

Phil Benedict

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:32:05 PM »
This panel must have taken place before this year's Masters, since Ran asked the question "can only long hitters win here anymore."  Zach Johnson demonstrated that is not the case.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back