News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Sag Harbor Golf Club
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:13:14 PM »
I stopped by this course this week the day after I played Sebonack.  They could not be any more different: Sag Harbor yearly membeership $300--Sebonack $650,000 initiation fee.  Until six years ago Sag Harbor had sand greens.  Sebonack, well....
As I watched people come off each of the courses both gave satisfaction and fun.

Below is a description of the club. Sometimes I can forget that golf is about hitting a golf ball and getting it in the hole in the fewest number of shots.  

Description - Situated on a peninsula and surrounded by woodlands, bluffs and wetlands, this delightful 9-hole course may be played as nine or 18 holes. The front nine is 2,619 yards. Played a second time, the yardage becomes 2,689 for a total of 5,308 yards for 18 holes.

Attractions - Sag Harbor Golf Course offers a wonderful 9-hole course; front nine is 2,619 yards and played a second time, the yardage becomes 2,689 for a total of 5,308 yards for 18 holes. The land is situated on a 48-acre peninsula in the middle of the 341-acre tract of Barcelona Neck Natural Resources Management Area. The course opened in 1989 offering views of woodlands, beautiful bluffs and wetlands.

Recreation - Sag Harbor Golf Course offers a clubhouse, practice green and snack bar. The course offers rental push carts for $3, green fees for 9-holes is $12 weekdays and $18 weekends. Regulation par is 35 and yardage is 2,619. The championship par is 35 and yardage is 2,689.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Sweeney

Re:Sag Harbor Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:20:51 AM »
Tommy.

I used to play in the 6:00 AM crew on weekends, pick up bagels on the way home and take the kids to the beach. The course dates from the 1920's, the State of NY took it over in 1989. It has been more than 6 years since the sand greens were around, I am guessing more like 16 years. The course was the home course in a book by a Harvard golfer that left the game for years and then used it as his base for his comeback to play in the US Amateur. I forget the name of the book.

There is also the 9 hole Shelter Island Country Club which has more Painswickian qualities than SHGC, and it is the host of the barbecue for the post Shelter Island 10K.

http://longislandgolfnews.com/Course%20descriptions/shelterislandcountryclub.htm

Keep in mind that for many of the members at Sebonnack, it is a alternative to a weekend house in The Hamptons and the $650,000 is cheap compared to waterfront garages in Southampton. It is not an "initiation fee".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:22:46 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Jeff Evagues

Re:Sag Harbor Golf Club
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »
Tommy.

I used to play in the 6:00 AM crew on weekends, pick up bagels on the way home and take the kids to the beach. The course dates from the 1920's, the State of NY took it over in 1989. It has been more than 6 years since the sand greens were around, I am guessing more like 16 years. The course was the home course in a book by a Harvard golfer that left the game for years and then used it as his base for his comeback to play in the US Amateur. I forget the name of the book.

There is also the 9 hole Shelter Island Country Club which has more Painswickian qualities than SHGC, and it is the host of the barbecue for the post Shelter Island 10K.

http://longislandgolfnews.com/Course%20descriptions/shelterislandcountryclub.htm

Keep in mind that for many of the members at Sebonnack, it is a alternative to a weekend house in The Hamptons and the $650,000 is cheap compared to waterfront garages in Southampton. It is not an "initiation fee".

That was Chasing the Dream by Harry Hurt III
Be the ball

jeffwarne

Re: Sag Harbor Golf Club
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
Diidn't know about this thread.
Interesting.
played there today-second year as a member(have played on and off the last 15 years) --joined for my son so he'd have an alternative a bit more walkable.
Actually a reasonably  interesting 9 hole course and there's plenty(341 acres) of great rolling, sandy,waterfront land surrounding it.
(owned by the state) the potential is enormous (maybe the state will get desperate for money ;))

Sadly they aerify (large holes) in November so it's plinko till Memorial Day (and I only play there in the winter)

As far as the book, delusion might be a good substitute for the word dream......
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:29:47 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
Diidn't know about this thread.
Interesting.
played there today-second year as a member(have played on and off the last 15 years) --joined for my son so he'd have an alternative a bit more walkable.
Actually a reasonably  interesting 9 hole course and there's plenty(341 acres) of great rolling, sandy,waterfront land surrounding it.
(owned by the state) the potential is enormous (maybe the state will get desperate for money ;))

Sadly they aerify (large holes) in November so it's plinko till Memorial Day (and I only play there in the winter)

As far as the book, delusion might be a good substitute for the word dream......

Sounds like a cool place and nice to have a go to spot in the Winter.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:16 PM »

As I am now a Connecticut guy in the winter, neither Sag Harbor nor Shelter Island (Goat Hill) can touch Shennecossett in the winter. Actually I played the Hubbard Heights twice in January, and with few golfers on the course, it was actually pretty good considering it sits on 70 acres:

http://www.brennangolf.com/golf-course/course-information

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »

As I am now a Connecticut guy in the winter, neither Sag Harbor nor Shelter Island (Goat Hill) can touch Shennecossett in the winter. Actually I played the Hubbard Heights twice in January, and with few golfers on the course, it was actually pretty good considering it sits on 70 acres:

Mike- Agree 100% on Shenny. Awesome!!

Gene Greco

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
   When I first played Sag Harbor it had sand greens. That was 1989 or 1990. They were removed and replaced with grass shortly thereafter.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »

Mike:

Does Hubbard Heights really sit on 70 acres?  Jesus, no wonder it felt so tight.  I only played it a handful of times when I was a kid -- I lived much closer to Sterling Farms -- but didn't want to play Hubbard Heights because I was always afraid I'd hit a car on #10.  My cousin said of the course that there were times you could find four golfers in one of the fairways (can't remember if it was #6, 7, or 8) who were actually trying to play four different holes ... it was so tight that from that elevated tee, you could slice completely over the adjacent fairway to the next one over!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »
but didn't want to play Hubbard Heights because I was always afraid I'd hit a car on #10.  

Tom,

That was back when the course had width! Seriously they just extended the parking lot down the 10th fairway as the restaurant is actually very popular now with locals.

The 70 acres number is listed on the website.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back