News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

Re: C&C’s Olympics decision
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
JR,

Why do you think this is the biggest job in golf?

I'd be curious how you see it playing out before, during and after the event?

Is it a good thing for the image/sustainability of golf that course needs to be created out of thin air for a single tournament?

I don't think there is another job that has and will have the worldwide appeal and reach as this job.  After all, people travel to cities just to see Olympic Villages and the stadiums.  Here, we'll have a living breathing golf course...a course that anyone in the world will be able to play.  Unlike almost every other Olympic destination, you'll be able to play where the greatest athletes competed in the Olympics.  The average guy off the street can't swim in the pool where Michael Phelps swam or run around the track where Jessie Ownes ran...this is something special....something different in my opinion.

It is beyond my realm of understanding as to why someone, who is talented enough and gifted enough to create this playground for the world, would choose not to throw his/her hat in the ring.

I am not sure what it would be like before or after the event...but I'd sure like to know and try.

And finally, to answer your last question, we're talking about the Olympics where we build entire Villages and neighborhoods for one month's worth of events....and then tear them down.  Sustainability would be great...it would be great if the organizers had a course that would work - but, they chose to go a new direction....like they do with stadiums, housing, event space, etc.  It's the Olympics....it doesn't make sense.....but a la the black and white images I see of World's Fair's of yesteryear, that's what makes the Olympics so cool. 

JESII

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »
Golf should be pursuing a more sustainable methodology in all respects. This hardly merges with the pomp and circumstance of the Olympics and I commend C&C for recognizing these risks/problems and following their gut.

JR Potts

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
Golf should be pursuing a more sustainable methodology in all respects. This hardly merges with the pomp and circumstance of the Olympics and I commend C&C for recognizing these risks/problems and following their gut.

And like I said, I have no problem with those who disagree with me.  But, I think your are making a huge assumption as to whether or not the Olympic organizaers have chosen not to work toward a sustainable methodology.  Afterall, maybe the work to create the new golf course will be financially sustainable from jobs perspective.  Sustainability comes in many different forms.

To each their own I guess.

I wonder if the new course will have carts?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
JR:

Have you met Mr. Coore?  Do you understand that C and C only has 3 employees..Bill, Ben and their business manager?  Do you know that they don't do audiovisual presentations? 

I think if you knew all about how Bill and Ben work, you'd understand that maybe this just isn't their bag....and that should be cool with all of us.

Bart

JR Potts

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
No Bart, I don't know him but have heard wonderful things about him.  I think even he would laugh at your defense that he didn't want to bid on the biggest job on the planet because he doesn't "do audiovisual presentations."

Thank god Michaelangelo "did chapels.". And if he didn't, it would be cool with me, just like its cool with me that C&C doesn't want to do this job,..but, it doesn't come without questions as to ones "greatness" and artistic flexibility.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:46:42 PM by JR Potts »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
Maybe C&C just don't like the local foods eaten in Brazil.   :-\

From Wiki:

But the everyday meal consists mostly of rice and beans with beef and salad.[294] Its common to mix it with cassava flour (farofa). Fried potatoes, fried cassava, fried banana, fried meat and fried cheese are very often eaten in lunch and served in most typical restaurants.[295]

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »
I think JR raises a very interesting question and is exploring a very valid subject.  It reminds me of watching an interview with Gene Hackman a few years ago, when he was talking about retiring from acting.  Noting all the great and demanding roles he'd played, the interviewer asked: "Are there no challenges left" -- to which Mr. Hackman answered: "Oh, there are challenges left alright. I just don't feel like taking them on".  A surprising answer -- as most of the greats (save maybe Brando) tend to say things like: "I'll keep doing this until the day I die"....and we usually take that as evidence of their passion and the drive that made them the best in the first place.  Anyway, some good posts by JR articulating an unpopular/uncommon view.  And that comes from me, someone who tends to believe that most of the world's evils and ugliness would disappear if more people understood that just because they can do something doesn't mean they should do it.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:33:24 PM by PPallotta »

James Duncan

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
We look at whatever prospective jobs there are, and try to work out which ones will be the best fits for us and our clients. It's pretty much that simple. Could we have teamed up with a tech-savvy firm and submitted a proposal for Rio? Possibly, but it's hard to see the point given that others are clearly more interested and much better suited for the task. That said I understand Tom's point of view with regard to the potential for asserting a positive influence on a grand stage such as The Olympics.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
JR,

Kind of off topic, but I don't think it is correct to assume the "average guy" can't ever swim in the Olympic swimming pool.

For a long time the LA Swim Stadium was considered the best swimming pool ever built. Today many people enjoy the venue which sits in the shadow of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

It is true that when the Olympics returned to LA a new swimming facility was built on the USC campus, but the LA Swim Stadium is still much nicer and better for community residents.

If the golf course in Rio could be like the LA Swim Stadium, that would be great.
Tim Weiman

Michael Blake

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
We look at whatever prospective jobs there are, and try to work out which ones will be the best fits for us and our clients. It's pretty much that simple. Could we have teamed up with a tech-savvy firm and submitted a proposal for Rio? Possibly, but it's hard to see the point given that others are clearly more interested and much better suited for the task. That said I understand Tom's point of view with regard to the potential for asserting a positive influence on a grand stage such as The Olympics.

Thanks for the post James.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »
James:

Thanks for the insight.  I didn't realize there was a member of the C&C team on this board until today.

We get a lot of great insider knowledge on several of the other major design firms.  Would be great to be able to pick your brain on the projects you've worked on with Ben and Bill.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

James Duncan

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
Sven, Michael:

Happy to chime in whenever on occasion there's something I'm familiar with, although as you can judge by my post numbers I'm a GCA lurker at best.

JD

Michael Blake

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
Happy to chime in whenever on occasion there's something I'm familiar with

That sure is unusual around these parts.
I'm sure you've noticed on many threads that most people chime in endlessly on things with which they're Unfamiliar. :)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
James:

Not to shine to bright a light on your spot in the shadows, but I noticed you worked with Tom before moving on to C&C.  Any chance you'd be willing to share a list of the projects you worked on with both firms?

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

James Duncan

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
Sven:

I'd be happy to answer your questions. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like.

JD

james_h_duncan@mac.com

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »
James, thank you well said. One could here it from the mouth of Bill.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back