News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

Re: Where have you gone, Tom Fazio?
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2002, 06:00:28 AM »
Tommy,
If I recall correctly, you were "so impressed with what they did there" at The Quarry but felt they could have done more!

You also said, "It was so beautiful up there, and I think the holes do resemble Apache Stronghold in some sense yet much more expensive".

If you were that impressed what grade did you give the course?  
Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2002, 08:49:08 AM »

Tom- you compared this chipping area with the left side of Shinnecock #11 and that's QUITE a compliment (Ask Mr. Huckaby  ;) ).

Geoffrey, muchas gracias for bringing back a memory that is both painful and joyful for me at the same time.  Oh yes, #11 at Shinnecock... hey, it's an easy shot from behind on your third try!

TH

GeoffreyC

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2002, 06:49:58 PM »
Tommy Naccarato-  

I'd like to know exactly whose opinion you would value when it comes to Galloway National?  We've heard praise from Mike Cirba, myself, Mark Fine, Archie Struthers, Pat Mucci and Tom Paul (sorry if I missed anyone else off the top of my head).  Each one of these individuals I believe thinks Galloway is an exceptional golf course albeit with imperfections.

I'd venture to guess that if we blindfolded you and dropped you in a bunker at Galloway you would not be able to guess the architect. Really now-  are you THAT certain that all of us are so wrong about this course?

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2002, 07:10:55 PM »
Mike Cirba:

You asked who's on the 5th tee. Did we play the 4th?

Archie:

You mentioned the "kicker" area just short and left of 18. You're bettin some hot food and drinks that it really doesn't work or work that well as something that "kicks" the ball onto the green.

I'm not sure I'll take that bet because frankly I've never tried that "kicker".

The only reason I mentioned it is the last time I played there I hit a mid or long iron right at that green because from where I was in the fairway it LOOKED like that was all you could do. But when I got up there I saw that "kicker" area and said to myself; "Why did I miss that green by letting my shot slide just right of the green when I could have played it off that "kicker" area?"

The reason was I couldn't see it from back in the fairway and was sort of amazed at the generosity of it since it was blind to me from back there. I was sort of fascinated by that visual deception!

It looked like it would have worked quite well but I ain't bettin' you because I've never tried it. I remember it because I was amazed it was there and I couldn't see it!

GeoffreyC:

Not to mince words but I would describe Galloway as a very good course! Don't know if I would go so far as to call it exceptional though! But then I'm not much into those descriptions like a solid 8 and a slim 7 or however some of these courses are described sometimes!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2002, 07:19:54 PM »
Tom Paul

You may have missed what I wrote back two pages ago on the fourth hole.  There were no subsequent comments so I assumed we'd move on.  Shortly thereafter, the thread took a different direction.  I'll reprint below;

The 4th hole is a dogleg left of 446 yards from the tips.  The tee shot plays downhill, and swings hard to the left in the driving area around a massive expanse of sand on the inside corner.  There is plenty of room out to the right of the bunker, but that leaves a very lengthy approach shot to a green that is set low (and partially blind the further right you drive) in a hollow below the fairway.  The fairway has some interesting contours, as anything left of center is canted towards the bunker (and green), but anything right of center tends to roll further to the right and away from the hole.

The green is wide in the front, tilted from left to right, with a bunker short right of the green for those shots that just don't have enough oomph or proper direction to make it on all the way (although a runup shot is very much accommodated).  There is a tongue of green extending back and right, which is accessible, but difficult.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back