News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Why would Fazio watch this site?
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »
To quote Steve Okula in another thread:
By the way, I have it on good authority that Fazio does watch this site, and it's possible that he was referring to it when he says "critics".

If you were Fazio why would you look at this site?

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Why would Fazio watch this site?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:14:52 AM »
Comic relief
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

JESII

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:20:28 AM »
Why else...to make sure my career is progressing as hoped...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »
Because he is the most critically acclaimed modern architect working today.  The large number of his courses that are on the Golfweek's Best list is way out of balance with reality.  He knows a ton of Golfweek guys hang out on the site along with the heads of the panel.  Who wouldn't check in if you were him?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:25:36 AM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »
Because he's highly insecure, and cares passionately about my opinion?  Does that sound like an OK response?

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:26:27 AM »
Because he cares passionately about the Cheater Line blather?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »
Because he cares passionately about the Cheater Line blather?

Classic ;D

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
I know some of Fazio's guys read this, by private emails I recieve. Ditto most other gca's offices, including the ones critiqued here most often.  Most have the good sense not to participate, though! ;)  I know guys from the big builders read this as well.

For that matter, at the GCSAA show, ASGCA and most other industry get togethers, I get discussion of this site from all walks of the industry, perhaps because they recognize me as a poster who doesn't have the good sense not to participate. :D

Everyone has rabbit ears as to critcisms.  This - and any other on line golf course review site mean that we have to look at different places to be sure we aren't being smeared.  I have had a few calls from friends about those review sites saying things about me that I have followed up on.  Of course, participating here allows me to see some of the critiques head on - like the anon. poster saying I was doomed to mediocrity! >:(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:18:06 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
Because of his man crush for Wayne Morrison and the way he gets all warm and fuzzy when every topic in golf course architecture seems to tie back to the career of William Flynn in some way...   ;D

Sorry Wayne, couldn't resist...

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
Fazio tells his associates to avoid any controvesy in his designs.  He can find plenty of it discussed here.
His legacy for me will be "Mr. Vanilla."
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
It's a shame that people don't defend themselves on this site.

I know I respect a person more who justifies aspects that get criticized than one who doesn't.

Ignoring the off color posters should be easy.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »
If there were a "Thriller Writer Atlas" web site, and my book was discussed from time to time, you can bet I'd watch the site.

But I'll bet John Grisham wouldn't bother.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »
Turns out there is a Thriller Writer site. But they're not discussing my book, near as I can figure out.

So John Grisham and I probably won't be there very often.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 04:51:03 PM »
Thanks, Rick, now I have another thing competing for my time.

:)

Why does anyone participate on here?

Why do other architects participate?

Why should Fazio be any different?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »
For the same reason all of the rest of us still participate to varying degrees, or simply lurk....even those who "quit", and you all know who you are.

You would not believe who reads this site, frankly.  

It's the only place in the world with this kind of action, debate, minutiae, verbosity, brilliance, assininity, eloquence, civility, acrimony and intrigue dedicated to something we are all addicted to in one form or another and it's ongoing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

It's instantaneous, yet it's retrospective.   It's thoughtful and reactionary.  It's current and historical.  It's relevant, irrelevant, reverent, and blasphemous.

Resistance is futile.      
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:02:24 PM by MPCirba »

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 05:07:44 PM »
Fazio is originally from Philadelphia (Norristown) and he has about three tons of friends around here many of whom I know. One of them quite close to him told me about five years ago Fazio told him he looks at this site (as does Rees).

So I asked Fazio's friend around here who I know well to try to find out why Tom does look at GOLFCLUBATLAS.com. And so he did. He asked him casually a few years ago at a famous club around here and Fazio's direct quote was;

"So I can learn something about the finer points of golf course architecture from the people who really know somethng about the finer points of golf course architecture."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 05:09:27 PM by TEPaul »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 05:19:14 PM »
It's a shame that people don't defend themselves on this site.

I know I respect a person more who justifies aspects that get criticized than one who doesn't.

Ignoring the off color posters should be easy.

From the pen of William Butler Yeats, "But was there ever a dog that praised his fleas?"

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
AND NOW, we will run a little test to try to determine if TomF was being truthful or just sarcastic when he made that remark.

We will ask a guy---Tom Doak----who if Tom Fazio looks over his shoulder will see TomD sneaking up on him in the world of architecture bigtime.

Tom, TOM, TOM DOAK, TOMD, can you hear me??

Goodo. You've been on this site for years. Have you learned anything about the finer points of golf course architecture from being on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com for years? Anything at all?? If so would you mind giving us a hint as to what it is you've learned or learnt??

James Edwards

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
How about this....

Maybe because its a very, very good site ??

full up of up to date, frank discussion on all types of golf course architecture, across the world, whether your Mr Fazio or Mr Edwards - the passion we all share as architects and followers makes me come back everyday for my fix... lurking or participating - the knowledge i glean is immense... and i wouldnt/couldnt miss it for the world...

...and he may even value our opinions?  YES, he just might.... this is a very experienced panel of people on this site (of which some are at the top of their respective games) and our opinions may be of great interest to him and his company / as vast and honest as they may well be!!!

...its better than any golf course architectural magazine thats for sure
@EDI__ADI

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »
Look at the pictures of his Pronghorn course and tell me there aren't finer points much different from his finer points built prior to the absorbtion of all those finer points.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 07:56:06 PM »
Adam:

Perhaps the course at Pronghorn has a lot of contributions from an associate who spends more time here than Tom Fazio does ... or perhaps he has not poisoned himself here and actually learned something from witnessing the great courses first-hand.

Tom P:

I would suggest that Mr. Fazio was being sarcastic, if you have accurately quoted him.  Which is NOT to say that there isn't anything here which an architect could learn from.  However, I am still of the belief that we can learn far more about golf architecture by seeing the great courses first-hand and analyzing them ourselves, than by listening to what others have to say on the subject.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 10:23:40 PM »
When Tom Fazio signs up, we should let him run off, like, 200 straight posts so he can ramp up to "junior member" status.

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 10:32:01 PM »
I would love to see Tom, or any of his Associates, participate here.

I was once a young tadpole......someone who could not type or operate a computer...and that was when I first registered here.

Now, barely four years later, I am once again about to achieve God status.

So, take hope.... if I can do it....you can too.

Hunker down!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:37:16 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »
Because the paint was dry on his walls.....or his cable was out....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I just think it is amazing we can have this kind of discussion on this site. I do look forward to the contributions of Tom Doak and think that if we had Tom Fazio on board, or at least one of his associates, it would add a lot to this place. That is not meant as a put down in any way to those architects who contribute regularly.

Bob J

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back