News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Golf in Bend
« on: June 08, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
Looks like my trip to Bend, Oregon may yield an extra few hours for another round of golf.

Any suggestions for courses, public only?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:44:04 PM by Jordan Wall »

Jason Topp

Re:Golf in Bend
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:17:46 PM »
I do not know but why do you have a link to a Toto performance on your signature?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »
Its a good song, and I usually change it every week.

LPolisano

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 05:28:50 PM »
If you haven't played Juniper by Redmond Airport, or Aspen Lakes which is out by Sisters, they are both fun courses.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »
My particular pecking order
1 - Juniper (Harbottle) south end of Redmond

2 - Aspen Lakes (Overdorf) just east of Sisters
3 - Black Butte Ranch-Big Meadow (Graves)- west of Sisters
4 - Lost Tracks (PGA America Pres. Brian Whitcomb)  Bend
5 - Meadow Lakes (Bill Robinson) Prineville

Lost Tracks has a lot of dogleg holes, ponderosa pine trees.
Meadow Lakes may have too much water, built to filter effluent water and award winneras such.

All the courses have decent websites. When are U there?
I will try and edit with link to Juniper thread.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:19:14 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:11 PM »
Pete,

July 13th I need a round...

How about the Woodlands course at Sunriver (Crosswater closed)?

A link to the Jupiter picture thread would be great..

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:41:44 PM »
Ooopsie. I forgot Sunriver Resorts -Woodlands Robert Trent Jones II. I would list it second, behind Juniper. It is a solid retro track but it has never exhibited any pizazz for me. Two circular nine routings, gently rolling. Can't remember a great hole.

The pictures of Juniper are Xed, but here is one thread. Also search Harbottle Juniper in August/06. I assume their website has photos, I know they have hole descriptions.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=24797;start=msg460099#msg460099

No pics on their website, but my impression was it was reasonably similar to Nicklaus /Pronghorn. Juniper hosts the Oregon Open June 23-25.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:52:51 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Troy Alderson

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »
Jordan,

I would like to see your opinion of Rivers Edge in Bend.  It is Don Mahaffey's old stomping grounds as a GCS.  Built on the side of Awbrey Butte.

Troy

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »
Jordon, don't waste cash on Woodlands course...I think its closed for much needed renovations anyhow...The Meadows course at Sunriver is nice (for a condo course) but they are very proud of it ($$)....if you are paying the bill...Rivers Edge in Bend is fun and fairly inexpensive...one major walk between 8th green and 9th tee...My personal fav is Quail Run in LaPine (15 min. south of Sunriver)...the greens were not in great shape in May so I'd call and ask them if they are in good condition beforehand...Aspen Lakes is great and has a reasonable twilight rate...the new Juniper is fun and has no housing attached to it...Lost Tracks has a couple of real fun holes but has lots of housing to detract from some great views and play amongst volcanic rock formations....

Recomendation #1 is that if you are not playing Crosswater stay away from the Sunriver courses unless someone else is footing the bill.

btw...it was nice to meet you at Chambers Bay.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »
In general, public golf in Bend is so so. Yes, I was at River's Edge for a little less than 2 years. Its fun, not great, has some good holes and some really bad ones. But, when compared to the rest of public golf in Bend, it's worth a play.

Bend, OR is a very cool place. But, IMO the golf there is not even close to what you might expect from a strong resort area. It is with out a doubt one of the greatest places I've ever seen to grow golfing turf. With warm summer days and cool nights, next to no humidity, and for the most part great water quality, it's there for the taking if a developer actually wanted to build something great. Most of the golf is real estate driven; throw in some mountain views, decent conditioning, and the courses get a little more credit then I believe they really deserve.
But, Bend is a great place to hang out and maybe golf just not that big of a deal.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
Jim,

Rivers Edge sounds appealing.  I'll have to check it out.
It was nice meeting you as well!

Thanks!!
Jordan

p.s. Any info on Bend G&CC?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:33:11 PM by Jordan Wall »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 11:34:11 PM »
Mr. Jordan,

You should go play Juniper.  It's quite fabulous.

Aspen Lakes is also a good tract but I'd play Juniper over it most days.  

Truly.....my golfing crew even prefers Juniper to Broken Top, Awbrey Glen or Bend CC.  I figure it the 4th best course in the region behind Pronghorn x 2 and Crosswater.

Of course, what is really exciting is Tom's upcoming course, Wicked Pony, and Kidd's Tetherow.  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 12:12:23 AM »
Bend CC.  In my opinion very much overpriced, based on the last time I played there. It was the only private club in town and its social center. Hasn't gotten over that. IMO a Doak scale 3 or 4.

River's Edge. A very difficult piece of property to build good golf holes. Leave the driver at home.

On a golfing basis, given these two choices, I would play Bend CC.

this is my opinion, I have been wrong before, and might be again.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »
Peter,

I agree with everything you are saying.  I also heard Bend CC is kinda the "hub" of the golfing city; which is a small circle of people (but growing!)

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 12:33:15 AM »
Jordan,
Based on info on their website I realize I have not been to Bend G&CC in the last dozen years, and they may have made significant improvements to the course. Executive Golfer says their reciprocal rate is $110.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 12:37:25 AM »
Jordan,
Based on info on their website I realize I have not been to Bend G&CC in the last dozen years, and they may have made significant improvements to the course. Executive Golfer says their reciprocal rate is $110.

opps!  

Jordan,

My buddies played Bend about a month and a half ago and reported fine conditioning but a narrow, flat and treelined old Egan course, much like the front nine at Eastmoreland.

It is what it is.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »
Yes, I'll take Juniper over BGCC...I'll report what I think after I play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back