News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris_Clouser

Southern Hills Hole 8 discussion
« on: May 31, 2007, 08:55:46 AM »
Hole 8 – 245 yards

Another one of the Maxwell templates makes its appearance on the eighth hole.  This Maxwellian version of the Redan is found on many of his courses around the country.  As with most Redans, the slope of the green runs from right to left off of a rise that was built up by Maxwell during construction.  This allowed him to create a wonderful green that is almost flat on the right side for about four steps and then it runs quickly to the back left.  The right side of the hole could be difficult with the prevailing breeze blowing, as players will have to start shots out over the bunker.  If the ball lands in the sand then recovery is not a chance as balls will run to the left side of the green without mercy.  Truthfully, the left side bunker is the preferred hazard as this will create a much more reasonable recovery.  Also complicating the hole is a false front and a truly diabolical pin position would be located just beyond the entrance and right between the two hazards.  I would expect three of the four pins to be on the left side.    

From the tee

From behind the green

Sorry for the brevity this week, but I'm on vacation and am suffering from a major case of the "honey-dos". ::)

Jeff Doerr

Re:Southern Hills Hole 8 discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:58:13 AM »
More bump...

Is the 245 tee new? It is not on the yardage guide.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:52:28 AM »

This is a very cool hole. A gentlemen in my group got a hole in one on this hole.
It was the most beautiful shot, a low runner that bounced once before the green, rolled across the green and dead center into the cup at the very back of the green. A nice 1 net zero for our group. :)

I love the par 3's a Southern Hills, they all require a different strategy.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 02:54:20 PM »
This hole is really hard...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back