News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig James

Farmington / Charlottesville, VA
« on: August 31, 2002, 07:37:18 PM »
Can anyone comment on or critique Farmington CC in Charlottesville, VA?  I know Fred Findlay designed the course around 1928, but know little else about the course, except that it has a good reputation among "Virginia Gentlemen"...  

Any thoughts about Findlay as an architect or Farmington itself would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Joe Andriole

Re: Farmington / Charlottesville, VA
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2002, 04:59:13 AM »
I haven't been to Farmington in over 20 years but really enjoyed it while playing in the Kensington Invitational held there.  The course was terrific, good rolling terrain, nice variety of holes and interesting green complexes.  I can't comment on what may have happened in the past couple decades -- it may now be a little short if it hasn't been lengthened --but it was IMHO at least top 100 calibre in those simpler times.

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 07:45:01 AM »
Craig:

As JG said, I haven't played Farmington in probably 9 or 10 years, but it is kind of the "nicest" club in the area, with three nines, and it's reputation is based more on the club than on the golf course, I believe.

I played the course probaly 7 or 8 times over the span of my brother attending UVA Law School, and, to be honest, it was before I cared a lot about the study of golf course architecture, but my impression was that it was nice, but nothing too special architecturally.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Dave_Miller

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2002, 05:16:52 PM »
Craig:

I am currently a member at Farmington in Charlottesville.  I have played it several times over the past few years. 27 holes with the one course being really played as a nine hole course and the North and South courses making up the 18 hole course.

The terrain is good and the routings are very nice.  There are quite a few rolling hills and many shots are uphill.

For the most part the par 3's are pretty challenging.

Green Complexes are good.  It is relatively short by today's standards but a lot of fun to play, with a great membership.

I don't believe it has been changed much, if at all, over the years although there was a minor change to lengthen the third hole a couple of years ago.

All in all I feel it is a terrific members course and one that could challenge in certain tournaments.

Fairways and Greens,

Dave

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2002, 08:07:07 PM »
I agree with Dave:

>a terrific members course
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Craig James

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 10:32:40 AM »
Dave,

Are you a local member or an "out of area" member?  Some aquaintances of mine are "out of area" members and rave about the course.  It seems if you are not a local, the initiation, membership and dues are quite reasonable for what many seem to think is a very good golf course.

Lester George

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 01:48:54 PM »

Craig,

I have renovated two of Fred Findlay's golf courses over the years, Boonsboro CC in Lynchburg and Meadowbrook CC in Richmond.  

I was always impressed most by the routings of his courses.  He really accentuates the natural features of his sites and always seems to choose excellent green sites in my opinion.

His green complexes are simple but reflect (especially Boonsboro) a great deal of strategic demand in the shots relative to the hole location.  He always seemed to leave a softer approach for the less daring golfer, but the 2 putt was often difficult from that line.  

I was an acquaintance of his grandson, R.F. "Buddy" Loving until his death.  Buddy grew up at Farmington which I believe their familiy owed until sometime in the 70's.  Findlay designed the original course (North & South nines) while his son and grandson participated in the East nine.  Farmington is probably the best example of Findlay's work although I like Boonsboro better.  

Lester

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2002, 06:03:44 AM »
Craig:

I'm an out of town member but get to Charlottesville occasionally.

It is a terrific deal as an out of town member.  Plus you can actually stay at the club.

I enjoy it very much

Cheers,
Dave

Vokey

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2002, 10:47:44 AM »
I have played Farmington a number of times with a good friend who has been a member for years.  It is a great course and a better club, particularly for its overal setting, beautiful scenery and extremely genteel, old Virginia nature.  On the course, you'll find tremendous rolling hills, a grave site by the 9th green, a wandering creek and multiple views of the mountains in the distant.  A stern test for most at about 6,700 yards, 126 slope and 72.7 course rating from the tips.

Oh, by the way, the best caddies anywhere are at Farmington.  The few I have had there are by far the most knowledgable and truly informative caddies I have ever had.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back