News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Beau Desert - wet pix
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:47:03 PM »
I played Beau Desert today in cold, wet weather.  Thankfully, the wind was mild.  The course has held up pretty well, not too much standing water considering all the rain we have had in May and more recently.

Approach to #2 - the cross bunker comes in play after wayward drives.

The short 3rd with a fallaway green

The club is in the very slow process of regenerating more heather

The wonderful 5th.  Drive down in the valley

Then back up to this well guarded green

Another cross bunker to menace the approach after a wayward drive

Just short of this narrow green with a false front

A view from behind the green showing how hilly this hole is

The 6th from just in fornt of the ladies tees.  There are loads of tee shots at Beau which are partially or fully obscured because of hills or trees.

A closer look at 6 showing the severe slope right to left.  That great little nob front right of the green makes approaching from that side very troublesome when the course is keen.  I would like to see more of this type of subtlety in design.

The 9th is one of many favourite 3.5 pars in golf.

This pic shows how dangerous it is to go for the green - anything long is in desperate shape.

The short 10th - one can readily see how overgrown Beau has become in places.

The 11th

Behind the wonderful 11th green.  I still haven't figured out how Fowler got a green to move so much more than it looks on this fairly flat piece of the property

The approach to #12 - a double legger

The approach to #13.  I really like this bunker on the left - it makes flat bellies really think on the tee.  This green looks flat, but it is huge and it runs very much away from the fairway.

The 14th is a bizarre green with an elephant buried in the front.  The bump rises about 3 feet.

From this pic it looks like a false front, but its a huge pimple.

There are also hidden bunkers on the right cleverly hidden by mounds.

This pic from behind shows how most of the Beau greens are built up because of the hilly site.  Its a bit like Kington, but a tad more sophisticated.  These gulleys behind greens are often 5 -8 feet high

Tee shot at #15 - using cross sandless bunkers

Approach to the very cool 15th green - everything falls very hard to the left.  This green needed to be lifted on the left side to make it playable after subsidence due to mining.

A closer look

Another cross bunker protecting the short 16th green.

This view shows how many of the greens are like wonky table tops.

The long approach to 17 after laying up short of the snadless cross bunker.

The 2nd at 18.  One can either layup to a severely downhill and blind position or go for it.

Approach after laying up

From behind the 18th - approximately 20,000 sq ft.  Some have said Beau has the biggest greens in England - haven't seen any set nearly this size.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

Re:Beau Desert - wet pix
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
Thanks for the photos, Sean, brings back memories of a good day there last fall.  I like Craig Disher's idea of staying there en route to the Buda Cup, that dormy house was a really good place to stay.  Is the steward still employed at Beau Desert?  He was very hospitable when we finally got there!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »
Great pics.  It brings back good memories or our day there last Spring.  It is such a good course.  I still remember most of the holes. thanks.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:37:12 AM »
Thanks Sean, happy memories for me, too, though most of mine are from the 60s!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »
Great pix Sean. Looking at the one from behind the 11th green it looks as though this green might have extended futher back at an early time. Do anyone know if this was the case?

Mark_F

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 05:06:49 AM »
Nice pics Sean.

They show perfectly the welcoming openess of the first few holes, which deteriorates somewhat into the rather more claustrophobic holes later.

Beau Desert is a pretty good site, but the course is fairly understated, apart from the 2nd, 5th,9th and 18th.  You maybe expect a little more than you find,but it's one of the best courses to play in England.

Where's Kington?

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the heads up.

I know where Hay on Wye and Ludlow are, having journeyed up through the Wye valley on a UK trip in 1992.  One of the loveliest areas of the country.

Is Beau Desert still good value, or have enough people discovered it to force up the green fees?  It was only about 30 quid last time I played it, and they have a dormy house too, don't they?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back