News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bakerg

Tom_Doak

Re:Grateful Dunes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
CNN?

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »
How about that!  Ah, good old Ballyneal.  

Kirk Gill

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »
As I was reading the article, I was wondering to myself why it would be found on the travel portion of the site, but my question was answered when they mentioned the future construction of a public facility. I can't wait ! Any notion as to architect?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »
Grateful Dunes = Wild Horse,,,, except a lot closer.  Cool!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:59:31 PM »
This is a smart move for Rupert. First off, the people who get to play Ballyneal for a few days in a row, are often not use to that much walking.  Having a public course in such proximity will allow guests/members the ability to ride a second round, saving their feet for the next day, the day after that and maybe the day after that.

I have seen the corridors Rupert has selected. The area is a bit more choppier than most of the Ballyneal land. There are still some spots that need some figuring out. All of it has a rather nice flow to it, and the entrance is close to the 385. So no farm roads.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:24:04 PM »
I hope they get a better name!  reminds me of Old Macdonald :P
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »
Adam,

Do you know if he has picked an architect for Grateful Dunes?

Perhaps it is time to pry KBM from PA.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 09:38:50 PM »
Garland, I could telll you but then I have to have one of my boys off you.

Seriously, This part of the business is serious business.

Truthfully, I don't know if there has been a selection.  
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »

The exact type of post that should be made under a real name.  Hey Paul,  why don't you get to know Rupert and his family before you go divot up his property and question his tastes.  Have you ever made a post that was not frivolous and or stupid?  If so, please reference it so we might all see.  Bitching about the name...what a woman you must be.

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 10:26:39 PM »
 We're about ready for Rupert in Cabo....got a lot of good fishing down here.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

PThomas

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:53:33 PM »

The exact type of post that should be made under a real name.  Hey Paul,  why don't you get to know Rupert and his family before you go divot up his property and question his tastes.  Have you ever made a post that was not frivolous and or stupid?  If so, please reference it so we might all see.  Bitching about the name...what a woman you must be.

just my opinion

and if me bitching about the name makes me a woman, what does gossiping about it make you??

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:02:49 PM »

just my opinion

and if me bitching about the name makes me a woman, what does gossiping about it make you??

Paul Thomas,

I don't think you can quite grasp the type of gift a course like this would be for golfers not quite as connected as you and me.  I don't think you can grasp the culture of the region to understand why the name would fit in quite well.  I don't think you can grasp architectural comment beyond the obvious.  I'm not interested in a pissing match with you now that you are P.  I would just ask that you not comment negatively on projects that you do not understand.

I wish you could understand the generous nature of a project like Grateful Dunes where not only the O'Neals will be giving to the golfing community the existing members of Ballyneal will as well.  So will Doak and so will the good people of Holyoke.  The dynamic of changing a private only resort into a private/public destination is huge in every way.  Grateful is a proper name for those lucky enough to play...Entitled Dunes it is not...Are you starting to understand?  Huh, P.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:48 PM »

just my opinion

Paul Thomas,

I don't think you can quite grasp the type of gift a course like this would be for golfers not quite as connected as you and me.  I don't think you can grasp the culture of the region to understand why the name would fit in quite well.  I don't think you can grasp architectural comment beyond the obvious.  I'm not interested in a pissing match with you now that you are P.  I would just ask that you not comment negatively on projects that you do not understand.

I wish you could understand the generous nature of a project like Grateful Dunes where not only the O'Neals will be giving to the golfing community the existing members of Ballyneal will as well.  So will Doak and so will the good people of Holyoke.  The dynamic of changing a private only resort into a private/public destination is huge in every way.  Grateful is a proper name for those lucky enough to play...Entitled Dunes it is not...Are you starting to understand?  Huh, P.

whoa down John, all I said was I don't think I like the name, that is all..don't read things into my posts that aren't there

of course a public course there would be tremendous.......again, all I said was I don't think I like the name...can you understand that?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:22:03 PM »
No, I can't understand.  I can't understand how anyone who has stood on the fourth tee at Ballyneal and seen the undeveloped land waiting for a course could have anything but praise.  I don't understand how anyone who has met Rupert and his family could question any of their choices based on the thousands of perfect choices they made in relation to Ballyneal.  I don't understand why you search for fault.  I don't understand why you don't have the balls to post under your real name.  I don't understand what qualifications you have to even comment on anything related to golf.  I have read every post you have ever made, sometimes two and three times.  When I am really down I just pull up your last 10 posts so I can appreciate my state in life.  I don't understand why you continue to harm the game everytime you play or comment on your experiences.  I don't understand what names have got to do with it...your name is P...Perhaps if they went with G. Dunes it would fly.  There you go...another rant another stroke of genius...G. Dunes it is..a perfect name.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 11:25:56 PM »
How can we find out who wrote the article?  I'd like to think I might have been there when some of this conversation was taking place.

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 11:26:27 PM »
No, I can't understand.  I can't understand how anyone who has stood on the fourth tee at Ballyneal and seen the undeveloped land waiting for a course could have anything but praise.  I don't understand how anyone who has met Rupert and his family could question any of their choices based on the thousands of perfect choices they made in relation to Ballyneal.  I don't understand why you search for fault.  I don't understand why you don't have the balls to post under your real name.  I don't understand what qualifications you have to even comment on anything related to golf.  I have read every post you have ever made, sometimes two and three times.  When I am really down I just pull up your last 10 posts so I can appreciate my state in life.  I don't understand why you continue to harm the game everytime you play or comment on your experiences.  I don't understand what names have got to do with it...your name is P...Perhaps if they went with G. Dunes it would fly.  There you go...another rant another stroke of genius...G. Dunes it is..a perfect name.

well I've wasted enough time already responding to your idiocacy, so this is my last post  here

I don't understand why you are so mean spirited

there's so much stupidity in your last post I am not going to dignify it with a further response

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 11:57:20 PM »
John,

I am certain you were there, when the spirit moved the author to write about his day.

Paul,

I like the name a lot, for what it's worth.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 12:01:25 AM »
Where the Yucca plays like a Sugar Magnolia.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:03:43 AM by Adam Clayman »

Daryl David

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 12:04:41 AM »
A comment from Geoff Shackelford's blog about the name which so far is 3 for 3 favorable:

"I think on the door of the restroom it will read "Dead Head."

Priceless.

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 12:10:47 AM »
A comment from Geoff Shackelford's blog about the name which so far is 3 for 3 favorable:

I've learned that the name is a tip fo the hat to the Grateful Dead, one of Rupert's favorite bands

and if the early poll results above stay true to form than I guess i am in the vast majority!

I meant no harm by my earlier comment and if it came off the wrong way I am sorry about that

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 12:13:44 AM »
I forgive ya P.

John Kirk

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 12:19:19 AM »
Red and white, blue suede shoes
I'm Uncle Sam, how do you do.
Give me five, I'm still alive,
ain't no luck, I've learned to duck!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »
What good is spilling
blood? It will not
grow a thing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 05:00:33 AM »
Spilling asphalt creates roads
which only grow cracks
which are filled by more asphalt.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back