News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Kingsley Club 'gets it'
« on: May 29, 2007, 08:39:16 PM »
As someone who really enjoyed the front nine at Kingsley Club when I first played there in late 2002, my return visit tells me that KC 'got it'.

For the record, the front nine blew me away the first visit.  But when I got to the backside .....

So I was a bit apprehensive on my visit this past weekend, but, amazingly, KC came through!

First off, let me say that the front nine is STILL perhaps the best nine in Modern American golf.  The fact that number nine is more playable due to different mowing patterns is just a bonus - it's still an amazing hole.

That being said, the tree work that was done on the back nine has made that side SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

I only have minor issues with #10 and #15 now, but the rest of that side is just excellent.

Kingsley Club 'got it' and is, IMHO, a very good Modern version of one of my favorites, Crystal Downs.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:14:21 AM by Paul Richards »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Kingsley club 'gets it'
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »
I'm not sure Kinglsey has the best front nine, but I agree that Kingsley Club gets it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
What I'd really like to know is why Mike DeVries hasn't gotten more notoriety for his architecture than he has. In my opinion, he deserves a lot more. He's something of an outside the box thinker on architecture in a really good way.

Mike, I think you have to break out of your region more and take it more national or world-wide.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 10:18:26 PM by TEPaul »

Andy Troeger

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »
Paul,
I agree with the general premise as well, although I didn't find the sides to be THAT different in quality. Granted, I played it after most of the work was done so maybe that's why :)

I agree, Kingsley gets it and I hope Mike does get more credit for his efforts!

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:05:04 AM »
As someone who really enjoyed the front nine at Kingsley Club when I first played there in late 2002, my return visit tells me that KC 'got it'.

For the record, the front nine blew me away the first visit.  But when I got to the backside .....

So I was a bit apprehensive on my visit this past weekend, but, amazingly, KC came through!

First off, let me say that the front nine is STILL perhaps the best nine in Modern American golf.  The fact that number nine is more playable due to different mowing patterns is just a bonus - it's still an amazing hole.

That being said, the tree work that was done on the back nine has made that side SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

I only have minor issues with #10 and #15 now, but the rest of that side is just excellent.

Kingsley Club 'got it' and is, IMHO, a very good Modern version of one of my favorites, Crystal Downs.

Cheers!

Paul,

Glad you enjoyed the course, again, and thanks for the compliments.  More specifically, what are your "minor issues" with 10 and 15?

I look forward to your critique.

Best,
Mike

Mike_DeVries

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 01:13:21 AM »
What I'd really like to know is why Mike DeVries hasn't gotten more notoriety for his architecture than he has. In my opinion, he deserves a lot more. He's something of an outside the box thinker on architecture in a really good way.

Mike, I think you have to break out of your region more and take it more national or world-wide.
Tom,

Thanks for the compliments.  As to the "breaking out" part, I don't know the answer to that as of yet.  I am not opposed to working nationally or world-wide and do consulting at clubs around the States and in Canada, so I am not afraid to travel.  I am sure it will all work itself out in time.  Let me know when you find a good owner who wants "an outside the box thinker on architecture in a really good way"!!!!

Best,
Mike

Jim Franklin

Re:Kingsley Club 'gets it'
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:17 AM »
I agree that Kingsley getsit too. After I played there a few years ago I started a thread about Kingsley vs Sand Hills. I think Sand Hills is a modern marvel and after playing Kingsley a few rounds, I thought the same of it. I hope to get back there again one day soon.

For those that have played Kingsley and not played Greywalls you need to visit the Upper Peninsula. Unfortunately for me, my client there is visiting Baltimore tomorrow so I won't be going to Marquette again until next year  >:(.
Mr Hurricane

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
There is no doubt that both Kingsley and Devries both get it..it is a wonderful place to play...very challenging but ultimately so much fun.....a truly great American  modern gem.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »
Paul,
Wish I had known you were going. I was up there for the weekend walking around trying to get back in shape.
I think anyone who has not been there in the last year is in for a big surprise. Very happy to see there was enough rain to get the fescue rough up along with the other areas growing in.
There are a couple of mowing changes I would rather not see happening, but then again I am a golf masochist.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 07:36:47 PM »
Ralph

Check your email.

thanks
Paul
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back