News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mick

Going to the Open Championship
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:28:06 PM »
Given that I managed to land myself a job in Paris for the summer, my Fiance, for my birthday, bought us a couple of tickets for Saturday and Sunday at the Open this year. I know many here have made the pilgrimage to Scotland, does anyone have any accomodation recommendations near Carnoustie? Is anyone else planning on being there this year?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:28:45 PM by Mick Wall »

Joe Fairey

Re:Going to the Open Championship
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:59:41 PM »
For you and your fiance...try Tigh Na Leigh, in Alyth...contact Bettina...if you can get in, I promise you won't be disappointed..probably a 40 minute drive to Carnoustie..

http://www.tighnaleigh.co.uk/

Need more info, IM me...enjoy

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:11:04 PM »
Mick
I cant say for sure , but I thought it might be difficult getting accomodation this late , near Carnoustie .

But remember that the train station is right next to the course , and that is the best way to get there . So look further a field to cities and town with rail links .

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:45:53 AM »
Mick:

Don't know how much change you have, but when the Open was last held at Carnoustie, I stayed in St. Andrews, and tons of folks -- golfers and fans alike -- stayed in the old town and took the hovercraft over directly to Carnoustie.

On the other hand, the front gate to Carnoustie is about 50 yards from the train station -- it's that close. Carnoustie itself is a very small burg, with limited accomodations. Dundee is the nearest large city, and -- at the risk of drawing the wrath of some of our Scottish posters -- one of Scotland's least attractive towns. It's large enough, however, to have a range of accomodations.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
There always seems to be loads of stories around Open time about people giving up their houses for vast sums of money.

If any of them are true , then surely this is a good deal , considering its position to the golf course ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170114767205&rd=1&rd=1

G Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 02:52:57 PM »

...Dundee is the nearest large city, and -- at the risk of drawing the wrath of some of our Scottish posters -- one of Scotland's least attractive towns. It's large enough, however, to have a range of accomodations.

Winston Churchill was the M.P. for Dundee at one point, and despite having represented the locals in this position, still found it appropriate to comment that Dundee was "the most drunken city in the British Empire".
Another good Dundee quote is the one by scottish jurist Lord Cockburn, who said it was a "sink of atrocity that no amount of moral flushing can cleanse".

Having been born there I'd have to say these statements are perhaps a little unfair, but it's true that it is a little grim... (tho it's getting better).

RT

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:03:44 AM »
I plan to be there Wed-Sunday.  To be confirmed.

RT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back