News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Roewer

1 ROUND / Glasgow or Cork Cruise Stop
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »
A friend of mine will be able to play once @ each location.  I believe the stop is 7:00 am - 7 pm.  He can only play one rd.  Where should he play?  Thanks , never been to Ireland , Scotland twice but not Glasgow.

Pete Lavallee

Re:1 ROUND / Glasgow or Cork Cruise Stop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
Little Island is a MacKenzie design in Cork which plays through an old quarry, surely the best Cork has to offer. Kinsale is not far away so Old Head could be an option.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »
Little Island is probably your best bet in Cork. As Pete said, its a MacKenzie design & its also a members club that prides itself on keeping the course in top shape & the greens running true.  

Other courses of note would be Fota Island (previous host of the Irish Open) and Old Head of Kinsale (though I am sure that is booked out)

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:11:56 PM »
Cork GC is the best bet in Cork. Cruise ships normally stop in Cobh and it would only be a fifteen minute journey to the course.

Troon, Turnberry and Prestwick wouldn't be too far from Glasgow all between 30 and 60 minutes from the city.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 01:42:49 AM »
I did a cruise around the UK and Norway a couple of years ago.  There were stops in Cork and Glasgow (actually the ships stop at Cobh and Greenock).  If it's a major cruise line they probably run golf tours as shore excursions.  Your friend might want to check what they're offering.  It's usually expensive but it makes the logistics easier.  On my cruise the pro broke his leg and missed the ship, so we were on our own to make arrangements  with the help of the concierge.

In Cobh we went to Cork GC which Patrick and Pete are referring to as Little Island.  Interesting course and the taxi ride wasn't too expensive.  Cost around $100 for the round.

From Greenock we went to Gourock.  Not too far from Greenock, so again the taxi ride wasn't too expensive.  The course was a bargain at arounf $45.  It has quite an uphill first hole to the upper part of the course which was heathlands in nature.  Some interesting elevation changes going up and coming down.  Your friend had better be in good shape to try this one.  It's a real hike up and down.

From Greenock to Troon or Prestwick is probably doable if he's in port long enough.  They're not too far but the drive takes more time that it looks like and would be pretty expensive I'd think.

You might refer him to http://www.uk-golfguide.com/ to check out courses in the neighbourhoods.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back