News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

HamiltonBHearst

Re:Laurel Links pictures
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 09:07:14 AM »

I don't worry about the policies of the new courses opening up around the country.  It would seem, without proper vetting procedures, they might as well all be public.  

Also, I rarely see  the north fork from the ground though I always look out the windows when flying above..  I must admit, I have found a wonderful little known winery on the north fork but with all the traffic we usually send Roosevelt on the trek to pick it up.  

As for the golf, and Laurel Links, I wonder how "prestigous" these clubs the members come from are when I don't know anyone.  But, judging by the man's posts, the course is much better off being a Kelly Blake Moran creation than a KBM bastardized by a group of PGA wannabees and drive-by raters.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
Speaking of KBM, I hope his new course, Heritage Creek in Bucks County, turns out to be as good as Laurel Links.

www.kellyblakemoran.com/heritage%20creek%20blog.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:18:40 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
We know for certain that Hamilton Hearst does not belong to GCGC, Rockaway Hunt, Piping Rock, or Creek--or he is very much isolated socially from the membership.  Not everyone from these clubs goes to the South Fork anymore.  As for calling the pro's PGA wannabees--that's a hell of a slam towards the best club pros in the US.  As for the opinion that players have not helped change courses, time to read up--many of the great classics evolved due to player imput--of course some imput was bad.  How can you find out if something works if you don't test it?  Laurel Links has been tested and came out great, but could come out greater.  As for my analysis, I've played there over 20 times, so I've got an excellent feel for the course.

Tim McManus

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »
Robert – thank you for the excellent photos and thoughtful comments.  You have accurately identified the hotspots that come up in discussion among the membership.  My personal views:

•   Unpinnable areas on hole 1 – while a 3d option on the left side would be fun, I think the center and right sides of the green provide plenty of variety to keep things interesting.  The left side does factor into how you play your third shot if you go for green and miss left, so I don’t think it is wasted.  
•   9 – we regularly have right side pin locations here without problem.  there is a lot of fringe in front and to the right which expands the landing area enough in my opinion to hold good shots.
•   10 – you did not mention this one, but I think this hole suffers from only being able to pin the right side.  Entire left side (approx 65% of the green in my estimation) will not hold an approach.
•   16 – the addition of some light rough at the bottom of the false front has been well received by the membership.  Still a very difficult short hole requiring a near perfect short iron to hold green.  Except for middle right, all pins are very difficult.  I think this hole would be really fun if it was driveable.
•   11 – drives hit to the right side of the fairway are punished by the trees you mentioned, and the wind does make fade approach very difficult.  But, the green slopes left to right so you don’t have to fade it all the way back to the right.  Bottom line is that you need to keep drive on left side or you will have a lot of work.
•   13 – I think the hole would lose a lot of character if the tree on right side of green was removed, but you are certainly not the only one that disagrees with me.
•   7 – Need two perfect shots to get near any pin on this green.  Most should probably just accept it as a par 4.5 and focus on the placement of the second shot to set up the best pitch/chip.    

I hope more folks get a chance to see the course.  I promise your ball striking, short game and your strategy will be thoroughly tested each time you go round.  Anyone interested in playing should send me an email at tim@johoman.com and I will try to take you out or find another member to do so.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
Well, I got to Laurel Links and played with the ass't Monday PM.  The pictures really can do the course justice.  At places it feels like a heathland course.  The landing areas are large but the greens are the most difficlut geens I have ever putted!   I am glad I did not add up my score.  I hit 12 greens but I know I did not come close to beaking 80.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 02:39:46 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2007, 05:48:57 PM »
Tommy, does that mean you liked it?  

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2007, 10:44:06 PM »
Tommy, does that mean you liked it?  

I liked it a lot.  I found the routing was good and it tested the long game, the shots into the green and the short game.
Besides that it was fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back