News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

founder of Boston Golf Club killed in accident
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »
saw this tragic news on Golfweek's website...Mr. John Mineck was killed when a roller he was operating tipped over

condolences to his friends and family
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Willie_Dow

Re:founder of Boston Golf Club killed in accident
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Having met John last year, when I played Boston Golf, and he couldn't have been a more welcome host.  When I talked with Bill Kittleman this afternoon and I mentioned that some type of "roller" had killed him, Bill said he was the type who would try at almost anything.  He would do rating to learn the difficulties of the courses, or he would caddy just to better understand the game.

A great loss for New England and the game, and my best wishes for his family.

Brad Klein

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
He was a wonderful, thoughtful, classic golf-oriented guy, an avid volunteer for the Mass Golf Association, active at Brae Burn CC, and then the founder of a scratchy old heathlands style course that was the best work ever produced by Gil Hanse. Mineck's death is a really sad day for golf everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 03:36:31 PM by Brad Klein »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 02:20:39 PM »
Can anyone explain how the accident happened?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Scott Coan

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 03:43:38 AM »
http://www.southofboston.com/articles/2007/05/26/headlines/news/news01.txt

The co-founder and president of Boston Golf Club has been killed in an accident at the course.

John D. Mineck, 54, of Cohasset died Thursday when a roller he was driving went down an embankment.

Plymouth County Assistant District Attorney Frank Middleton said Mineck was last seen at about 2:30 p.m., indicating that he was going to take a roller and do some work on a road at the course.

His body was discovered shortly before 6 p.m., and Hingham police were called at that time, Middleton said.

Middleton said Mineck’s body was found about 30 feet down the embankment, and that the roller was further down the embankment.

Mineck was licensed to operate heavy equipment, Middleton said.

Rob Ketterson, who founded the club with Mineck, said he will be missed greatly.

‘‘Our thoughts and prayers are with John’s family. This is a tragic loss for John’s many friends at Boston Golf Club and across the greater Boston community.’’

Mineck is survived by his longtime companion, Nancy Skawinski; his father, Raymond Mineck, a sister, Diane Mineck, and two brothers, Edward and Ray Mineck.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 07:04:25 AM »
Having met John at Boston Golf Club two years ago you could not find a more gracious host or a man more passionate about the game and golf course architecture.  This is very sad news.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 09:56:32 AM »
Best wishes to all of his family and friends.  I met John at Boston Golf Club last year and he couldn't have been nicer.  His passion for the game and his new club was evident.  He sat down with us during lunch and immediately made us feel comfortable.  He will definitely be missed at Boston Golf Club and throughout the golf world.  

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
Here's the kind of guy Mineck was. He was continually interested in what visitors had to say, and at one engaging session in Oct. or so in 2005 had a group of about 12 GW raters out and after the round he invited us to sit down and let him know what we really thought -- even Vostinak! He was interested, listened closely, was not at all defensive, and simply loved the game, golf course design. That Boston GC meant so much to him. I feel sad that he never did see the clubhouse to completion.

Visitation
Wednesday, May 30, 2:00pm to 8:00pm
Pyne Keohane Funeral Home
21 Emerald Street (off Central)
Hingham, Mass.

For directions and parking:  www.keohane.com or 1-800-keohane

Memorial
Thursday, May 31, 2:00pm
Boston Golf Club (14th Fairway – comfortable shoes strongly advised, no heels please)

Please park at Pilgrim Skating Arena and shuttle buses will be provided to the golf course.

Memorial Parking Information and Directions:
Pilgrim Skating Arena
75 Recreation Park Drive
Hingham, MA 02043
www.skatepilgrim.com
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:18:59 PM by Brad Klein »

redanman

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
An extremely nice man, a great loss for golf.  Such people are very rare,

Passion is rarely if ever taken all the way to such complete and total execution as John Mineck did at Boston Golf Club.  I truly believe that it is at the very short list at the tippy top of Modern American Golf Courses. John had the vision and the courage to encourage Gil, Rodney, Jim et.al. to build what he wanted and they came through with aces.  I truly enjoyed meeting and talking at length with him, I found him a kindred spirit and was looking forward to seeing him again when I returned to BGC. Sadly, now I never will.  I will also be unable to attend his service.

We had a great conversation about the golf course, he proudly telling me of the features that he "snuck in" on Gil when he was away and we discussed angles and lines of play at length.  It was a very spirited discussion and honestly I spent a lot of the time talking about features that I really liked and listening to him tell me how much he loved that "________". It was one of the most enjoyable architecture conversations in memory.  

I was very envious of the man who got to do what he wanted to do with that golf course we all doodle on cocktail napkins after three G & T's boring the crap out of our friends that we just played with.   His went all the way from the cocktail napkin to the ground to endure for all of us to enjoy.

R.I.P.

r

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »
I don't know what to add of worth after reading Bill's eloquent tribute.

Three thoughts come to mind;

1) The compliments mentioned here are understated.
2) Sometimes, things happen that remind us to live every day fully because we truly never know what is in store for us each day.  This is one of those times for me.
3) We should all be so fortunate as to have such a stirring monument to our live's work and aspirations as Boston Golf Club.

Godspeed, Mr. Mineck.  You will be missed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back