News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Last night (10:15 p.m.) the TV weather man said the temperature in the Philadelphia area was 64. Down the shore, some 50+ miles it was also 64. But, between the two places , in the pinelines of NJ it was 56.

The weather man said it was because of the sandy soil there.

Did he mean clay soils hold the heat more than sandy soils?

Are there implications for maintaining golf courses in this ?

This is what happens when you don't play your normal amount of golf.  You think of things like this.I told my wife I needed to get a girlfriend. She said "Good luck with that!".
AKA Mayday

John Kirk

Re: Significant temperature differences within a 20/30 mile radius
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »
Pumpkin Ridge has a combination silt/clay/loam soil.  It's located in a lower elevation within the Tualatin Valley, about 20 miles west of downtown Portland, OR.  There are days in spring and fall when the low temperature in Portland is 40-42 degrees, yet the course temperature drops below 32, resulting in a frost delay.

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:17:01 PM »
The San Francisco Bay Area has many micro-climates within 20-30 miles of each other that have 30-50 degree temperature differences.  The natural configuration of the land mass, with the Pacific Ocean and SF Bay promotes these wild swings in temperatures.

The 580/680 corridor (Pleasanton up to Walnut Creek) can be 90-100 degrees and 15 miles away in Hayward (by the bay) it can be 55 degrees and breezy.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
The San Francisco Bay Area has many micro-climates within 20-30 miles of each other that have 30-50 degree temperature differences.  The natural configuration of the land mass, with the Pacific Ocean and SF Bay promotes these wild swings in temperatures.

The 580/680 corridor (Pleasanton up to Walnut Creek) can be 90-100 degrees and 15 miles away in Hayward (by the bay) it can be 55 degrees and breezy.

Agreed with Mike here.  You'll be harded pressed to find bigger temapture differentials that are so close together than those found in the summer time in the bay area.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »
As an old nurseryman I can attest to micro-climtes being very normal...sometimes as little as a block away...and if you want to be technical, the northside of your home has a different climate than the southside...

Soil type, vegitation, moisture (humidity) elevation, exposure to wind and sun, all contribute to temperature variation....we often have frost at our golf course when the on site air temp is two or three degrees above freezing...

Surprisingly, the Flathead valley here in western Montana grows a mean sweet cherry crop, inspite of high elevation, and cold winter weather due to the moderating effects of the largest natural body of fresh water west of the Great Lakes....that is until that rare winter when it doesn't snow and the lake totally freezes over...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jordan Wall

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 01:41:08 PM »
Mayacama is supposed to have different temperatures from the highest point to the lowest on the course, though I have no clue how true that is..

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:47:02 PM »
Two places I can think of are Northern Michigan and Hawaii.  Along Grand Traverse Bay or along Lake Michigan it can be quite cool with the wind off the water.  Go inland a few miles and the Temp can warm up considerably.

Lanaii can be quite cool up top and hotter than h--- on the ocean.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back