News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Looking back over the last 35 years or so at the list of courses that have held, and will hold, the Walker and Ryder Cups I am struck by the difference in quality.  The Walker Cup has been held on many of the World's best courses while the Ryder Cup has been held, in general, on a golf courses of a much lower quality, even if one discounts the events held at The Belfry.  Why is this?  

Is it because the Walker Cup is accepted at courses because it is not a commercial endeavour?  Is it because the PGAs don't care about the quality of the course - they just want to make cash?  Is it because it is a smaller more manageable event?  Is it because the Walker Cup is run by the USGA and R&A and they have access to better courses?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Walker Cup                            Ryder Cup
2011   Royal Aberdeen       2012   Medinah
2009   Merion Golf Club      2010   Celtic Manor
2007   Royal County Down    2008   Valhalla
2005   Chicago Golf Club      2006   The K Club, Straffan, Co. Kildare, Ireland
2003   Ganton Golf Club      2004   Oakland Hills CC, Bloomfield Township, MI
2001   Ocean Forest       2002   Sutton Coldfield, England
1999   Nairn Golf Club      1999   The Country Club, Brookline, MA
1997   Quaker Ridge Golf Club   1997   Valderrama GC, Sotogrande Spain
1995   Royal Porthcawl Golf Club   1995   Oak Hill CC, Rochester, NY
1993   Interlachen Country Club   1993   The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield, Eng
1991   Portmarnock Golf Club   1991   The Ocean Course, Kiawah Island, S.C.
1989   Peachtree Golf Club      1989   The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield, Eng
1987   Sunningdale Golf Club      1987   Muirfield Village GC, Dublin, Ohio
1985   Pine Valley Golf Club      1985   The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield, Eng
1983   Royal Liverpool Golf Club      1983   PGA Ntnl GC, Plm Beach Gdns, Fla.
1981   Cypress Point Club      1981   Walton Health GC, Surrey, England
1979   Muirfield                  1979   The Greenbrier,W. Va
1977   Shinnecock Hills Golf Club      1977   Royal Lytham & St. Annes, England
1975   Old Course at St Andrews      1975   Laurel Valley GC, Ligonier, Pa.
1973   The Country Club      1973   Muirfield

Glenn Spencer

Except for the last part about access, I think you answered your own questions.

Rick Shefchik

Both the USGA and the PGA are deeply committed to making money -- lots of money -- at their premiere events. They choose their sites based in large part on where their profits can be maximized (although, to be fair, the USGA is operating under slightly more significant historical pressures).

The U.S. Open is the primary cash cow for the USGA; the Walker Cup brings in almost nothing. They can afford to be high-minded with their Walker course choices. The Ryder Cup is the the cash cow for the PGA of America, so they will not be high-minded about where they play it.

As long as this is the case, I'd love to see the USGA go even farther and hold the Walker Cup at NGLA, Pine Valley, Cypress Point and other great, seldom-seen courses.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:58:29 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Andy Ryall

I would absolutely attribute this to the requirement that a major, or Ryder Cup, be held where the infrastructure and logistics are suitable to handle thousands of spectators and more importantly, corporate tents.   One word = Valhalla.  The site/lodging/corporate support/entertainment potential come 1st, quality of golf course 2nd.

Based on the recent pursuit of traditional US Open/USGA venues by the PGA for PGA Championship/Ryder Cup combo platters such as Hazeltine - The Country Club (which backed out of its PGA Championship) - all courses are fair game.   Though obviously a lot of classic courses have stepped back and removed themselves from consideration due to the sacrifices members and clubs have to make to host an event.

Wayne_Kozun

As long as this is the case, I'd love to see the USGA go even farther and hold the Walker Cup at NGLA, Pine Valley, Cypress Point and other great, seldom-seen courses.
Look at the list above - Pine Valley was 1985 and Cypress 1981.

Rick Shefchik

22 and 26 years ago, respectively. That's not exactly what I'd call "on the rota" -- and I don't believe either course is scheduled to hold another Walker Cup.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Wayne_Kozun

Don't give up hope yet - Carnoustie is on the Open rota and it went 24 years between events.  Hoylake went 39 years and the Open Championship is played every year while the Walker Cup is only played every four years in the US.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 11:24:42 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Tom_Doak

The Walker Cup is held at those courses because they want to host it ... it brings prestige without bringing in the masses and without disrupting the club for longer than the week of the event.  It is probably the most sought-after tournament in golf.  I was told the USGA has something like 40 invitations to host the next Walker Cup on this side of the pond, and the list is a who's who of US private clubs.

A few of those clubs may not be eligible under the USGA's policies, though.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

I second everything Tom wrote and add a decreased need for spectator space and the number of courses available increases.
It is the ultimate event in golf...at least in theory..golf in it's purest "amateur" form being played between the founders of the competitve game.

There is of course the general feeling that it has lost some of it's purity as it is now little more than a contest between college players and as such perhaps not the idealistic competition between true amateurs it was intended to be...but so be it..that is progress i suppose.

how about a Walker Cup for mid ams?
Come on USGA Wake up and take your head out of the sand, and recognise the true amateur spirit again.

redanman

It might be as simple as

Hosting a Walker Cup is cool and low impact on your course.

Hosting a Ryder Cup sucks and blows (thanks to Bart S. for that one)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back