News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

H.S. Colt
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »
I was speaking to a friend while playing a while back and we started discussing how amazing it was, with all that has been written about other architects, that a definitive book on Colt and his courses has never been undertaken. The only book one can get a understanding of his ideas and work was his Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture. Are there others I'm not aware of? Does anyone know if anything like this has ever been attempted? Is there reason why not, such as not enough info available? It just amazes me considering one could make the argument that he was the best of all time and certainly ONE of the best and probably was the key figure to start the Golden Age, along with others.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Dunne

Re:H.S. Colt
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
Paging Paul Turner. Paul Turner to the white courtesy phone... :)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »
David, when I played Presbury in Cheshire with Mark Rowlinson, we had a very informative discussion of Colt who designed Prestbury.  I would think an e-mail to him would yield a wealth of information.

http://www.prestburygolfclub.com/
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
David you need to beg borrow or steal a copy of Colt and Co by Hawtree. Long out of print but the most comprehensive tome on the subject. As a golf book it's not one of the very best as its infuriating and odd - sometimes in interesting ways and sometime not, but until Paul does the definitive work it's all we have.

For a short appreciation I don't think you can do better than the Essay in Golf Architecture Vol 2 by our own Brian Philips.  It’s impassioned stuff arguing why Colt is the father and most important GCA we have.

PS For those holding their breath, yes I have met Colt’s Cook, yes something has been written and I will post it as soon as all details have been agreed.  Won’t be long now.
Let's make GCA grate again!

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
There is a biography, Colt & Co. by Fred Hawtree a member of the Hawtree line of british architects.  I believe it is out of print.  It has a wonderful section at the back in which correspondence among Colt, Allison, and Morrison is reprinted.  There is also some real detail about Colt's method of work (eg use of plasticene models of greens) but not much on strategic considerations.  It has been some time since I pulled it down from the shelves but as I recall it was not the easiest read although, given that it is the only biography extant, it was somewhat informative.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back