News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Miller

Hidden Gems/Good Values in or around Charlotte?
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:53:02 PM »
Greetings everyone.  It's a pleasure to join this board.

I'm moving to Charlotte in May and am searching for courses to play this summer while I study for the NC Bar.  I've played a few courses in the area (Charlotte CC, Carolina, Balantyne), but am trying to get more familiar with the golf scene.  Does anyone know of any good values or hidden gems in or around Charlotte?   Also, if anyone wanted to share thoughts on Charlotte golf in general, it would most appreciated.  

Thanks a lot.

Jim_Kennedy

Re:Hidden Gems/Good Values in or around Charlotte?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:06:27 AM »
David,
I don't know if you'd call them hidden gems but 3 that I've played and enjoyed very much are Fort Mill GC in Fort Mill - 9 by Ross and 9 by George Cobb; Monroe CC in Monroe - 9 by Ross(recent work by Richard Mandell) and 9 by Tom Jackson; and Richmond Pines CC (west of Rockingham raceway) - 9 by Ross and 9 by Gene Hamm. All 3 have very reasonable green fees and are great 'duet' courses, in a Tony Bennett meets Tim McGraw way.

I don't live around there so I'm sure you'll get some better responses.  

Here are some photos of Fort Mill:
 http://www.golfholes.com/sc/Fortmill.htm
This my also be of interest:
http://www.golfholes.com/brchar01.htm
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:36:37 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

David Miller

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »
Jim--Thanks for the recommendations and the links.   Fort Mill looks like a solid track from the photos--I'll have to check it and the others out this summer.

John Shimp

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:19:34 AM »
Carolina GC which you've played has the most upside in the Charlotte area, particularly if you are focused close to Uptown.  It is a solid and fun Donald Ross today but should be a far more interesting course when Kris Spence's full plan, with recommendations from Brad Klein, is implemented starting this fall.  For Charlotte, the initiation is also a value at 16K.  Only issues are that the course will be closed for 8 months or so starting this November and not sure if you want to commit to a private course.  Public golf in Charlotte is pretty grim in my opinion.  

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:46:48 AM »
Carolina Lakes is a new public in Lancaster, SC, ten minutes from Ballantyne and built within the new Del Webb / Sun City retirement complex.  Tim Freeland design, 7200 yards, ~$50.  Played it once last fall (winter?) and loved the rolling greens and fairways and elevation changes between holes.  Will play it again soon.  

Palisades is a ~2 year old private course but might not get much play and is worth checking out if you can get on.  Nicklaus design (but not Signature), so a junior there probably had a lot to do with the design, which includes several thought- provoking options off the tee and into the greens.  

I still enjoy Birkdale (Palmer/Seay) and Skybrook (?) occassionally, and of course Mr. Doak's self- proclaimed worse course is here, Charlotte Golf Links.  And while Charlotte National is not kept in very good shape, those enjoying fast and firm and some interesting holes might find it interesting, esp. in the ~$35 range for off- hours.  

David Miller

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »

John--

Thanks for the latest info on Carolina GC--I'm almost certain I'm going to join there once I settled in Charlotte.   I wasn't aware that they were officially going through with the renovations--have you heard how dramatic the changes will be?  And do you know anything about the reciprocity situation when the course is closed?  

John Shimp

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
The changes will be dramatic. Back tees out to 7100 and significant new/repositioned greens.  Also lots of new bunkers and lifting of some grading to slightly reduce blind shots.  I went to a meeting with Kris Spence and Brad Klein and Spence said that he thinks the course could be as good and changed to the better as much as Mimosa Hills.  Its an exciting plan. Hole twelve will be the only entirely new hole though.  Hope you join.

Recipricol will be good.  They are looking to get at least a couple of no greens fee arrangements
JS

David Miller

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »
Wow.  That is indeed exciting--I had no idea the renovation was that ambitious.  Do you know if it will have any impact on the initiation fee or dues?  I've already been trying to work the junior membership into my budget--hope I can still afford it post-renovation.

Doug Spets

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »
Lancaster Golf Club has 9 holes by Donald Ross.  18 in total.  Charlotte National southeast of the city is a nice, good-value track.  Tega Cay GC has 27 holes...9 new ones that weave thru a subdivision...and the 18 original.  Good Value there, too.  My pick would be Lancaster, though.  Never busy, very good bang for the buck.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »
Just south of Charlotte in Gastonia is Gaston (or Gastonia) Country Club.  My college roomate was a member there and I remember a lot of very good holes.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:40:05 PM »
Not far off is Musgrove Mill (Fort Mill) which is great, and Camden Country Club (Travis/Ross).  I suspect you'd be welcome at either.

David Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 08:55:15 PM »

I really appreciate all of the recommendations.  I hadn't heard of most of the course mentioned here, so this is especially helpful.

And if anyone in the area is looking for a game, let me know--I'm always open to new people to play with and new courses.

Greg Holland

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »
Anyone know anything about Northstone (PB Dye) or River Run in the North Charlotte area?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 04:44:52 PM »
I just played Northstone last week and it was better than I expected. The greens were really nice and there were a nice compliment of short and long 4s and there were some interesting par 3s too. They were completly redoing the practice area when I was there so that was a downer, but overall it was fun. I guess it helps to have won the tournament too ;).
Mr Hurricane

Evan_Smith

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 05:07:18 PM »
Jamey
   Musgrove Mill is in Clinton, SC and though I've never driven from Charlotte to the course, I would guess it would be well over an hour drive.

David
   That being said, I played tournaments at this course in college and it's a great golf course.  It's a Palmer design (not sure if Seay or another of his partners helped) and I would play the course again in a heartbeat.  It's a private club, but I'm sure that they would be happy to allow you to play the course.  Even if it's too far to join, make sure you play the course.  Just talking about it makes me want to play the course.
   The only other course we played in the Charlotte area was Regent Park in Fort Mill, SC.  The  course has some great holes, but one of the things I didn't like about the layout is that it's designed with the golf cart in mind.  There are a couple of drives between holes that are ridiculous.  Still, go and play the course because there are some great holes and I don't think the price is too high.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 12:12:42 PM »
It has been quite some time but Regent Park does have some good holes... probably one of the better Garl courses out there. I also recall playing a course... Hyland Hills(??) that while not perfect had some good stretches.  

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 12:19:41 PM »
I've played Regent Park once and it's definitely a cart course so I wouldn't care to play it regularly. Still, as Evan says it has merit. If for some reason I needed to play a round in the Charlotte area again I wouldn't turn it down (aided by the fact that it's on my side of the NC/SC border and quite convenient).

One advantage of Regent Park is they have a wonderful practice facility. Huge driving range with good grass, lots of fairway bunkers from which you can practice shots to various targets on the range. Quite impressive.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
I played Fort Mill GC in Fort Mill last Friday.  Most of the front 9 is intact Ross (I think 1 and 2 have been altered the most), and the back nine is George Cobb.  A very enjoyable walk for $26, in very acceptable condition, and suitably interesting.  Also, a very, very nice staff and clientele on a busy Friday for a single walkup.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Evan_Smith

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »
I forgot about the practice facilty at Regent Park.  It is top notch, and I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it's lit for night practice.

The other thing about the course is that it has an interesting story.  I don't know 100% of it, so maybe people that have lived in the area for a long time could help with this.  The land that the course is on (and a lot of surrounding land) was owned by Jim Bakker (of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker-Televangelists, 700 Club, PTL club) and was the site of a huge Christian Theme Park built using money from his telecasts.  He got caught (embezzlement?) and it was closed down.  Japanesse investors took over and built the golf course.  His pyramid shaped office where there was supposed to be a stream of drugs and prostitutes overlooks the 9th green.  Again, this is not 100% for certain, it's from my memory of playing college tournaments there in 1996-1997.

I just thought if you play the course it's always nice to have a bit of a back story to go along with the round.  Enjoy!!!

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 10:50:31 PM »
as a college golfer and somebody who is always looking for a real challenge, I love River Run. Its a little tricky, with too many white posts in play, but its really really hard in windy conditions, and is a lot of fun to play if you like killing yourself.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 10:48:24 PM »
Pine Island outside Charlotte has been redesigned and is pretty good.  I played it this spring and enjoyed it a lot.  It allows the ground game and was in good shape.  The clubhouse is nice and I think they are looking for members.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back