News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Denis Watson and his Resurrection
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:09:32 AM »
I have followed a fellow Rhodesian, Dennis Watson's tortuous career for over thirty years. In 1972 I took a sabbatical and returned to that country for almost a year. I spent a great deal of time playing with Simon Hobday and David Leadbetter, the latter was the assistant professional at the Chapman Golf Club. But what interested me most was the  talent of two teenagers, Nick Price and Denis Watson, two phenominal talents.

I think Price made the first hit by winning at Firestone in 1963. Watson then won there a year later and another eventually winning  the Las Vegas Invitational.  Perhaps the most crushing disappointment was a two stoke penalty in the US Open of 1965 for waiting for a moving ball to drop, which it did, and losing to Andy North by a stroke.

In the intervening years a series of injuries and hardships played a part in his playing less and less for over twenty years. His play this week was an inspiration to a host of players who just want the chance to play.

It was gratifying to me to see the play of Tim Simpson, A man who has suffered greatly from Lyme Disease and who finished the Championship in the top ten for the first time in many years. It was Tim who castigated the USGA official who inflicted the penalty on Watson way back in 1985. The official, who shall be nameless, pontificated about the honor of the game etc., etc., but was later found to have had less than honorable dealings with members of the family estate.

The Ocean Course certainly showed its fangs.

Bob

Mike Benham

Re:Denis Watson and his Resurrection
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:48:30 AM »
Bob -

I only watched about 10 minutes of the broadcast today, specifically Denis' fairway shot on 16 and his play from off the green.

The commentators were very quick to second guess his choice of a putter from 25 yards away, stating that he was obviously battling a case of the nerves (curious comment by Bob Murphy and Gary Koch  who didn't notice the medium sized knob at greens edge but probably typical of American breed golfers who think 60 degree wedge is the only club around the greens).

I hope Denis watches the replay and reminds the expert commentators that there is more than one way to play a golf shot.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tony Ristola

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:08:20 AM »
Bob...Did you ever hear of Retief Waltman? He played the US Tour for a short bit, but left after they began playing on Sunday's. A certain multiple major championship winner was named after him.

http://www.sunshinetour-tic.com/profiles/WAL003.htm

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:52:58 AM »
NBC mentioned that all three of Watson's tour wins occurred in 1984, which I found remarkable. I looked up the year and found that those three wins occurred in a five-tournament in August and September. In those five weeks he finished: Win, 33rd, win, MC, MC, win.

Bob, do you have any recollection of that stretch?

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:03:02 AM »
I thought it mildly interesting that the top 4 finishers were all foreign players. Looks like the Champions Tour has become a true "world tour," which makes the fields a little more interesting and is fine by me. If only Seve could only be even a shadow of his former self!

Bob H. - You typed Nick Price won the World Series of Golf in 1963. I am pretty you meant 1983. Price also contended at a British Open when he was a very young player. He collapsed a bit down the stretch and lost to Tom Watson. DT  

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:14:24 AM »
Bob,
In the mid80's when Tim simpson and his Dad had a golf course in Lawrenceville, Georgia...DW used to hang out with TS a good bit...really nice guy....liked to talk maintenance anf architecture....nice to see him back....
Trivia...isn't his ex married to Tom Watson now?  Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:14:46 AM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:00:09 AM »
Mike;  You got it backwards.  I believe Tom Watson married Dennis' ex

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:19:20 AM »
Mike;  You got it backwards.  I believe Tom Watson married Dennis' ex
no no no....i believe you got it backwards.....that is what i said.... ;D
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 11:30:09 AM »
I played with Denis about 18 months ago at Rustic Canyon.  He is a gentleman and thoughtful golfing companion.  I thought at the time, despite his full swing and length, that he had been away too long to succeed on the senior tour.  Furthermore, having married well, without a financial need, movitation would be a problem.  He was joined by his son, who lives with his mother, and the other Watson.
I am glad to see I was wrong.  I enjoyed his thoughts on Rustic and posted such, even though Tom Doak posted that professional golfers thoughts are not to be considered.
I trust now he will be able to enter any senior event.  Maybe that was movitation enough.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »
NBC mentioned that all three of Watson's tour wins occurred in 1984, which I found remarkable. I looked up the year and found that those three wins occurred in a five-tournament in August and September. In those five weeks he finished: Win, 33rd, win, MC, MC, win.

I don't -- but would bet good money that Golf World had some cover line about "The next Watson."

(Oh, and just for the record: Looks like that five-tournament run took six tournaments to complete!)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »
Bob:

Funny you mentioned Simon Hobday.

My wife just brought me from her overseas trip some European golf magazine with a feature article on Simon Hobday.

What a character.

I bet now he sinks every putt he looks at... :)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »
Bob...Did you ever hear of Retief Waltman? He played the US Tour for a short bit, but left after they began playing on Sunday's. A certain multiple major championship winner was named after him.

http://www.sunshinetour-tic.com/profiles/WAL003.htm

Tony,

I do remember him as a wonderful ball striker. He shone brightly for a short while and then became a pastor in the Dutch Reform Church. I am not sure, but I don't think he played the game thereafter.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 12:19:57 PM »

Matt,

I sure do and if memory serves me correctly he made the cover of Sports Illustrated after the Las Vegas win.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 12:21:38 PM »
I thought it mildly interesting that the top 4 finishers were all foreign players. Looks like the Champions Tour has become a true "world tour," which makes the fields a little more interesting and is fine by me. If only Seve could only be even a shadow of his former self!

Bob H. - You typed Nick Price won the World Series of Golf in 1963. I am pretty you meant 1983. Price also contended at a British Open when he was a very young player. He collapsed a bit down the stretch and lost to Tom Watson. DT  

David, It was a typo, he was born in 1957 so I guess winning on the Tour in 1963 was not on.

Bob

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »
I played with Denis about 18 months ago at Rustic Canyon.  He is a gentleman and thoughtful golfing companion.  I thought at the time, despite his full swing and length, that he had been away too long to succeed on the senior tour.  Furthermore, having married well, without a financial need, movitation would be a problem.  He was joined by his son, who lives with his mother, and the other Watson.
I am glad to see I was wrong.  I enjoyed his thoughts on Rustic and posted such, even though Tom Doak posted that professional golfers thoughts are not to be considered.
I trust now he will be able to enter any senior event.  Maybe that was movitation enough.

Lynn,

I missed that post, how can I bring it back? Don't say punch Search, I can never get the thing to work properly.

Thanks.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 12:39:59 PM »

Lynn,

I missed that post, how can I bring it back? Don't say punch Search, I can never get the thing to work properly.

Thanks.

Bob

Another Rustic Canyon course record update.
Yesterday a graduating golfer from Cal Lutheran University, a small nearby school, shot a new course record 65.  He plays the course often.
I played there today with former tour player Dennis Watson.  He said something that I thought was interesting.  After about 17 holes, he said, "I think this is a pretty easy course to shoot par, but it would really be hard to shoot much under par on a regular basis."  It is impressive to watch a smart player read distances and putts so well their first time on a course.  He loved the course, thought it was great fun.

The Entire Thread
"... and I liked the guy ..."

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 02:18:47 PM »
I find it quite fascinating how a great course like TOC seems to gather a certain group of familiar or similarly matched or situated players at the top of the leaderboards.  It must have been like old homeweek for those fellows.  I only saw the last two hours of the finish, but it was quite an exciting contest of the players VS the course.

Could TOC at Kiawah really be Pete Dye's best tounament designed course, surpassing Whistling Straits and Harbor Town?  I'm glad we will see the same seniors compete on WS for the comparison at a coincidental time with same general field of players, and on a similarly thought of tournament course.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »
Mike Benham that is scary how you found it.

Now a year or two from now I want you to find the thread where I said Santa Clara was making a mistake by retiring there BB coach prematurely.  You and Huckaby disagreed with me.
I can't imagine that Kerry Keating can build a much better program given the resources.  I have no idea if the guy can coach but I suspect he is a great recruiter.  If she comes to the games you will enjoy seeing his girl friend from UCLA.  She is Steve Lavin's old babe and current secretary to AD Dan Guerrero, and a knockout (former UCLA gymnast!).
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back