News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re:Long wooden tees...conspiracy theory??????
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »
Rich:

I mentioned the idea of disallowing tees altogether, which an R & A executive threw out as a possibility during a dinner at the Dunhill Links Tournament a year and a half ago.

It won't happen because golfers (and greenkeepers) like perfect tee surfaces, and that would be rendered impossible by all the divots.  But it WOULD end the era of the big-faced driver and put some ball-striking back into the game.

If all courses did that, mid and high handicappers would always or nearly always hit fairway woods or even irons off the tees.  Only outstanding ball strikers -- a tiny percentage of golfers -- would hit driver.  This would widen the gulf between the really good players and the masses.  

I bet lots of munis would install rubber mats or astroturf type tees, as you often see at driving ranges.  The muni I played as a kid had little to no grass on most tees.  

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 10:17:08 PM »
This gives rise to the other type tee, the rubber made tee commonly used at driving ranges inserted thru the little hole in astro matt.

These tees break off at the base and must be pretty expensive in comparison to the wooden tee.

Suppose we could get a chemist to formulate a mix of resin from the wood, flexibility from the rubber tree, durability from plastic and biodegradibliity from this hypothetheical concockion, would be have a teessmith's dream?

We would need a catchy name for this, any ideas?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 05:19:53 AM »
Big shoes, big..........feet.
Big tee, big drive.

Steve

David Sneddon

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »
I'm in on it. Years ago, I opened a tee repair shop........ ;D
Joe  

Joe:  I've been using sand tees for some time, is there any particular type of sand you would recommend??  When playing in the rain, I find that after my pre-shot routine, the sand has almost washed away.  I'm now using a kid's plastic bucket to form the sand, so that there is enough left to hit driver from.

This is a serious problem, since my caddy is threatening to quit what with carrying around a 50lb bag of sand in addition to my clubs.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 10:03:06 AM »
David

When I'm playing on a links course, I carry a trowel rather than the customary 50lb bag, and just dig up my tees.  My caddy is happy but the greenkeeper is not.

David Sneddon

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 12:26:26 PM »
Richard - I think I may have played in the group behind you - I thought they were awfully deep divots, strange shape too.

BTW, has Aberdour changed any in the last 30 odd years - still start on that par 3 ???

Nyk Pike

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 02:25:31 PM »
Tales from behind the counter-

Guests have often complained of tee breakage since the introduction of the oversize tee. Grant Rogers solution was to wiggle the tee when placed in the ground so that it pops out instead of breaking.

One request that always cracks me up is when someone grabs some tees and then asks, "Do you have any smaller ones?". My usual reply is, " We just have the adjustable ones." Most times the guest looks at me quizzically and then it dawns on them that they can push them further into the ground. The best comeback I've heard is, "I have small pockets."

Rich Goodale

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 03:44:59 PM »
David

Aberdour stills starts on 2 par 3's and finishes on a par 3.  The course used to be par 63, but I think that was more than 30 years ago, and certainly before even my time.  If you're ever in the area, let me know and I'll get you a game.

Rich

David Sneddon

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 06:59:31 PM »
Richard, thanks ,appreciate your offer.  I'm originally from Dunfermline and was a member at Canmore from age 8 until I crossed the pond in my early twenties.  Played Aberdour many times back then, and that opening par 3 always gave me fits.

I'd also be very interested in the size of trowel you carry :-)

ed_getka

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »
I had no idea people put so much thought into tees. I have never purchased a tee in 30 years of golf. They are laying around all over the place on golf courses. Especially courses that give them out for free where no one seems to bother picking them up.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2007, 06:36:34 PM »
Most courses provide for your teeing needs. Just think about it. See that canister of divot filler on each tee. Pour yourself an 'anthill' .......... "fore!" Let the club pay  ;).

Doug

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »
I had no idea people put so much thought into tees. I have never purchased a tee in 30 years of golf. They are laying around all over the place on golf courses. Especially courses that give them out for free where no one seems to bother picking them up.

Amen to this one.  I've never purchased a tee either and the freebies are always good to fill up the bag when the supply is getting a little low..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:52:22 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mike Benham

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2007, 12:24:27 AM »

Ed -

Do you pick-up classic or modern tees?

Are you a collector for Joe Hancock's tee repair business?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back